Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Clunk noise + jerk when taping throttle?

Old May 15, 2019, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk noise + jerk when taping throttle?

Roughy 65% of the time I'll hear a clunk noise and then a jerk (what feels like the clutches instantly grabbing) whenever I lightly tap the throttle. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in. I also normally drive in sport manual. I understand sport makes the clutches slip less and grab more aggressively but I don't recall the clunking noise being there. What could this be? My SST? Something else? I'm just confused since it happens irregularly.

My car has the following: Cobb AP Stage1+ 93 Octane LWG flash, Cobb SF intake, Corsa Catback
Old May 15, 2019, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 69 Posts
When is the last time you changed the fluid in the SST?

Were you protuned for the SST or just an off the shelf tune?

Has it always behaved like this?

Ideally you should always drive in Sport + manual for longer clutch life - there should never be a clunk.
Old May 16, 2019, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Also, what year? How many miles?

Could be an engine, transmission, or other driveline bushing if your Evo's older or higher mileage....
Old May 16, 2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
When is the last time you changed the fluid in the SST?

Were you protuned for the SST or just an off the shelf tune?

Has it always behaved like this?

Ideally you should always drive in Sport + manual for longer clutch life - there should never be a clunk.
I changed the SST fluid @60k miles which was about 3-4 years ago.

It's an off the tune shelf from Cobb, I'm not sure if their OTS maps even touch the SST.

From what I can remember it hasn't behaved like this before, at least not as "jerky".

I always drive in sport and manual mode while also putting it in neutral at stop lights.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by splattj View Post
Also, what year? How many miles?

Could be an engine, transmission, or other driveline bushing if your Evo's older or higher mileage....
Its a 2010 with ~72k miles
Old May 16, 2019, 02:36 PM

Is this not just normal noise from the transfer case? I feel like i get this "issue" all the time ha.
Old May 16, 2019, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Haan View Post
I changed the SST fluid @60k miles which was about 3-4 years ago.

It's an off the tune shelf from Cobb, I'm not sure if their OTS maps even touch the SST.

From what I can remember it hasn't behaved like this before, at least not as "jerky".

I always drive in sport and manual mode while also putting it in neutral at stop lights.
If it didn't clunk before with those parts etc.. then I'd first change the SST fluid. Past that I can't advise running mods on an SST based EVO without calibrating the transmission for it. IMO I would get a pro tune for the parts you have on there either locally if you know someone great with an SST (can't stress this enough they are expensive to fix, and you don't want them to break - ask me how I know)

If you don't have that resource nearby, there are a lot of good ones that can etune. Kozmic Motorsports in Houston is one of the very best, and I live in Houston and can vouch for them. There are a lot of other great e-tuners, wtftuned is another, and some other are out there.

Either way I'd change fluid first - see where you're at, but get that thing tuned unless you got deep pockets.
Old May 16, 2019, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AdamDeMamp View Post
Is this not just normal noise from the transfer case? I feel like i get this "issue" all the time ha.
Man you're in Houston - hit up Kozmic Motorsports they do great things for the SST. There shouldn't be any clunking imo I never experienced it on my MR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.