Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Maintaining an EVO MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maintaining an EVO MR?

FIRST AND FOREMOST I KNOW THE BARE BASICS TO CARS MAYBE EVEN PLEASE GO EASY

I'm looking to buy a 2012 EVO MR it has 21k miles and it's going for 27k which I'll try to talk the private seller down and I've been looking through the forums to learn about maintaining this car as it's my dream car!

I do not plan to modify it so much the most i want to do is
COBB Stage 1? // Rims // Tires // Widebody kit // Bagged ( Possibly ) [ These will be further down the line ] // Light bolt on for better engine performance / cooling i believe the seller has a few parts from AMS? [ Slowly and surely read threads and figure out what to go for ]] //
I want to keep this car well over 100k miles / as long as i can. This will be my DD through every season

Please correct me if i'm wrong / anything to improve on so what i've learned from reading is :
1. Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, 5 qt. + OEM Mitsubishi Oil Filter | DSM / Evo Multiple Fitments (MZ690116 ) [[ 3K Miles]]
3. Rotate tires every 10K miles / Replace tires when needed
2. Mitsubishi OEM DiaQueen SST Transmission Fluid | 2008-2015 Mitsubishi Evo X MR (C0002610) [[ 15K Miles?]]
3. Check break pads every year ? Hawk HPS Brake Pads is what i've seen around [[ 1 Year or 15k Miles]]
4.Mitsubishi OEM SST Transmission Filter (EVO X) [[ 30k miles ]]

( www.maperformance.com looks to have a lot of parts at prices i believe are affordable )

https://www.sportmitsubishi.com/reco...e-schedule.htm ( Is this a good maintenance schedule ? )

Thank you if most of this half repetitive and has been asked but i just want to know i'm going in the right direction :)

ALSO I'm in Queens, NY are there any EVO SST shops that specialize in tuning that are close to NY? Maybe NJ anyone can recommend ?

Last edited by KidRyanPz; Jun 4, 2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old Jun 4, 2019, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
That's a really good maintenance plan! Your mod plan shouldn't adversely impact the longevity of your MR either.

I would change #2 to DiaQueen every 30k with the filter #4

Add changing the transfer case and rear diff fluid every 30k
  • Transfer Case Fluid: 0.9 Qts (PN 3775610 - GL-5 90w Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil)
  • Rear Diff (differential Mechanism Part): Roughly 0.6 Qts (Same Fluid: Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil)

Air Filter replacement or cleaning every 10-15k or as needed

Cabin Filter replacement every 15-30k or as needed
The following users liked this post:
RevMaynard (Jun 5, 2019)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Just keep in mind a few things -

- Transmission fluid changes are around 5-600 dollars. Yes, that was correct. lol
- Modifying these really needs to be done by someone that knows the transmission well. I'd just leave it stock, drop in a cobb air filter, and call it a day. Honestly. The MR is pretty damn quick stock, if you enjoy it in that trim you will have a long happy EVO ownership.
- Everything, and I mean everything, is more expensive when it breaks on an MR. Just to get a magnet fixed in my transmission that came loose (something that can happen to the unlucky), it was around 4k.

The MR is a wonderful platform, but it is a costly one to maintain, and a costly one to fix if anything goes wrong. I strongly, strongly, recommend just going with the drop in filter, an exhaust, and then enjoy the car. Take it from someone that was in your shoes and wishes he'd done exactly just that.

Good luck with the purchase - post up pics when you get it!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema

- Transmission fluid changes are around 5-600 dollars. Yes, that was correct. lol
- Modifying these really needs to be done by someone that knows the transmission well. I'd just leave it stock, drop in a cobb air filter, and call it a day. Honestly. The MR is pretty damn quick stock, if you enjoy it in that trim you will have a long happy EVO ownership.
- Everything, and I mean everything, is more expensive when it breaks on an MR. Just to get a magnet fixed in my transmission that came loose (something that can happen to the unlucky), it was around 4k.

The MR is a wonderful platform, but it is a costly one to maintain, and a costly one to fix if anything goes wrong. I strongly, strongly, recommend just going with the drop in filter, an exhaust, and then enjoy the car. Take it from someone that was in your shoes and wishes he'd done exactly just that.

Thank you for the suggestions sounds like a future plan!! I was also thinking to do Transmission fluid change on my own to save the money cause yeah i saw the same prices. I've noticed from reading most people have the transmission issues around 60k when the glue starts to wear off the magnets for the sensors hopefully i'm not one of those people when i do decide to get it!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by splattj
That's a really good maintenance plan! Your mod plan shouldn't adversely impact the longevity of your MR either.

I would change #2 to DiaQueen every 30k with the filter #4

Add changing the transfer case and rear diff fluid every 30k
  • Transfer Case Fluid: 0.9 Qts (PN 3775610 - GL-5 90w Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil)
  • Rear Diff (differential Mechanism Part): Roughly 0.6 Qts (Same Fluid: Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil)

Air Filter replacement or cleaning every 10-15k or as needed

Cabin Filter replacement every 15-30k or as needed
Thank you for putting the actual names for the transfer case and rear diff fluid! I would have not actually done this nor known/ there is a tunner shop who really specialize in evo's so i figured i'd do all the changes my self and just go for a check up by them after everything is done
Mitsubishi Diamond ATF SP III (1 quart) would also be every 30k? ( https://boostedforums.net/showthread...uid-change-diy )
Old Jun 4, 2019, 07:14 AM

Thank you so much! I was going to buy the SST fluid and just change this on my own as long as the rest of fluids ( oil , rear diff , atf ) to save the money/ learning to do these basic things on my own ! I really like your suggestion with the drop in filter from COBB but i'll also add maybe a cold air intake and leave it at that and enjoy!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 07:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
No shops in the NY/NJ area know much about tuning the SST.

Since you want to widebody and bag it, I don't think it matters much.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
No shops in the NY/NJ area know much about tuning the SST.

Since you want to widebody and bag it, I don't think it matters much.
YEAH :/ that's why it'd be light bolt ons i would say cause i think the power is really enough for me until i pay it off and have extra funds to learn about modifying to getting it maybe a solid 500 HP. I found a shop called Need For Speed NY @Lynbrook, Hempstead, NY who have good reviews so i'd basically take it there to probably help install the bolt on's if i couldn't // check my evo to see if i did everything right and checkups. Are there any shops in the close by states PA perhaps ( or anywhere you recommend ) ?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KidRyanPz
Thank you so much! I was going to buy the SST fluid and just change this on my own as long as the rest of fluids ( oil , rear diff , atf ) to save the money/ learning to do these basic things on my own ! I really like your suggestion with the drop in filter from COBB but i'll also add maybe a cold air intake and leave it at that and enjoy!
The stock air box is good to 400+hp, it really gains nothing, also when you change the air flow too much then it's time to tune... Drop in will give you some hissing noises and a nice smooth power band with no mods or ECU tuning needed. Being 100% honest, I did test pipe, drop in Cobb non oiled filter, bigger fuel pump, EBCS and a custom tune. Before I did all the parts and pro-tune I JUST put in the drop in filter. I loved how it drove with just that, it smoothed out a stumble at the high RPM range and it ran great.

After I got the parts, car was faster, but I wished I had just cancelled the install and left the filter in. After that just had a streak of bad luck and no more EVO in my garage currently lol. Drop in filter - exhaust - enjoy car for 100k miles plus.

Good luck with however you go though!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 07:40 AM

The stock air box is good to 400+hp, it really gains nothing, also when you change the air flow too much then it's time to tune... Drop in will give you some hissing noises and a nice smooth power band with no mods or ECU tuning needed. Being 100% honest, I did test pipe, drop in Cobb non oiled filter, bigger fuel pump, EBCS and a custom tune. Before I did all the parts and pro-tune I JUST put in the drop in filter. I loved how it drove with just that, it smoothed out a stumble at the high RPM range and it ran great.

After I got the parts, car was faster, but I wished I had just cancelled the install and left the filter in. After that just had a streak of bad luck and no more EVO in my garage currently lol. Drop in filter - exhaust - enjoy car for 100k miles plus.

Good luck with however you go though!
Oh okay that's really good to know actually so maybe i'll stick to the cobb air filter+exhaust and see how that goes and leave it with that ( I HAVE AWFUL LUCK LOL ) HOPEFULLY when i can obtain the MR which will be maybe in half a year to a year i'm lucky with no transmission issues with the sensors because the rest i can actually afford knowing what i'm going into now! 600$ with all the fluid changes on my own and spark plugs every 25-30K
Old Jun 4, 2019, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KidRyanPz
Oh okay that's really good to know actually so maybe i'll stick to the cobb air filter+exhaust and see how that goes and leave it with that ( I HAVE AWFUL LUCK LOL ) HOPEFULLY when i can obtain the MR which will be maybe in half a year to a year i'm lucky with no transmission issues with the sensors because the rest i can actually afford knowing what i'm going into now! 600$ with all the fluid changes on my own and spark plugs every 25-30K
Actually my bad it's the Cosworth drop in air filter I think I got it on rallysportdirect when I was buying them. Like it because it is great flow and no oiling needed.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 07:54 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The parts guy at a local dealer was telling me that an SST trans replacement costs 19 thousand. Apparently the cost is so high it can actually total the car. Just make sure you have a Pre-Purchase inspection performed before pulling the trigger on anything.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
The parts guy at a local dealer was telling me that an SST trans replacement costs 19 thousand. Apparently the cost is so high it can actually total the car. Just make sure you have a Pre-Purchase inspection performed before pulling the trigger on anything.
Now this is scary ...... and i know it's kind of the luck of the draw with the sensors :/ but will for sure have the pre-purchase inspection for sure!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 08:07 AM

Actually my bad it's the Cosworth drop in air filter I think I got it on rallysportdirect when I was buying them. Like it because it is great flow and no oiling needed.
I'll look into the non oiled filters so that's one less of an extra step
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
AFE makes a nice dry, washable, drop-in:
https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10...y-s-air-filter