Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Maintaining an EVO MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
The parts guy at a local dealer was telling me that an SST trans replacement costs 19 thousand. Apparently the cost is so high it can actually total the car. Just make sure you have a Pre-Purchase inspection performed before pulling the trigger on anything.
It's $14,000 MSRP and you can get them from most online Mitsubishi parts dealers for $10,000. Part #2500A343

Very rare you need a whole new transmission.
The following users liked this post:
RevMaynard (Jun 5, 2019)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 02:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by KidRyanPz
I'll look into the non oiled filters so that's one less of an extra step
Just use OEM if you keep the OEM box. You won't see any power gains with a proper tune between OEM drop-in air filter and aftermarket drop-in air filter.

Save your bucks.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 03:50 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
It's $14,000 MSRP and you can get them from most online Mitsubishi parts dealers for $10,000. Part #2500A343

Very rare you need a whole new transmission.

I'm just passing along what he told me. I don't know what all was involved with the quote. It was a warranty repair so maybe it was the trans, plus clutches, plus cooler etc... I didn't really dig in too deep.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Just use OEM if you keep the OEM box. You won't see any power gains with a proper tune between OEM drop-in air filter and aftermarket drop-in air filter.

Save your bucks.
With respect, firmly disagree. The cosworth filter is a noticeable upgrade over the OEM filter.

And that's without a tune.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 03:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Aside from going to OEM fluids which are key for stock parts, Stage 1 COBB from my experience is worthless and it'll instantly leave you wanting more because it literally offers nothing to the car other than a set of digital gauges.

Grab the Cobb and get the AMS STX300 tune package. They'll give you a base map, get you to do normal driving, WOT going 2nd, 3rd and 4th and some 3rd gear pulls and fine tune it so it's perfect. It took 5 file versions for my car to be impeccable but the difference now from Stage 1 COBB is huge. Plus, AMS will manipulate the SST tables and make shifting better, COBB, you get a base line which covers 1 SST out of 1,000,000.

That Cosworth filter that takes in more volume than the stock filter does require a MAF/MAP change on post 2013 Evo's. Something I've learned by going through the COBB course for Accesstune is that these tables are pretty much everything to make the car run right.

I recently had to uninstall my COBB High Flow filter because Mitsubishi told me it doesn't fit properly and they slapped in a stock. As soon as a put my tune back on after service, I was overboosting to 28lbs when the car is tuned for 25lbs. That's catastrophic boost levels on a stock Evo X.

Cheers,
Stephen
Old Jun 5, 2019, 04:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
With respect, firmly disagree. The cosworth filter is a noticeable upgrade over the OEM filter.

And that's without a tune.
Key statement in my post is "with a proper tune". They basically have the same gains when tuned appropriately with same boost and AFR for both. Just slapping them in with OEM tune is not what I stated as that will change boost and AFR. As a repeat.. I stated "with a proper tune" which means same afr and boost for both parts

I did this testing almost ten years ago. Can't find the data currently though. It's probably on one of my back up drives currently in storage.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 5, 2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Key statement in my post is "with a proper tune". They basically have the same gains when tuned appropriately with same boost and AFR for both. Just slapping them in with OEM tune is not what I stated as that will change boost and AFR. As a repeat.. I stated "with a proper tune" which means same afr and boost for both parts

I did this testing almost ten years ago. Can't find the data currently though. It's probably on one of my back up drives currently in storage.
I'm not claiming it made significant gains, all I said was the stock 2014 MR I had with stock everything / factory tune, had a brief stumble at 5500rpm's or there abouts. That's the main reason I was going to get it tuned in the first place lol. Then I put the drop in filter in when the parts got to me before I had the tune date, and the stumble was gone and it pulled clean to redline. I'm not suggesting it made more power, in my case it just smoothed out the powerband where my issues were. I went ahead and tuned anyway with Kozmic Motorsports, one of the best with the SST and the car of course was amazing after. But it starts adding up to keep with the horsepower on an MR. First it's clutch packs, then I had other things go wrong just out of bad luck like the magnet. That's why I was saying I wished I would have stopped with the filter, returned parts, and just enjoyed the car lol. With the stumble gone I was completely happy.

Hope that clarifies where I was coming from I think the gains on an intake / drop in filter are minimal even with a tune unless you're getting more serious with like a larger turbo. Stock air box is more than sufficient for 99% of builds lol
Old Jun 5, 2019, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The other bonus of using a drop-in filter is you get more intake noise out of the stock box. I couldn't hear the factory BPV until I swapped mine over.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 01:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I'm not claiming it made significant gains, all I said was the stock 2014 MR I had with stock everything / factory tune, had a brief stumble at 5500rpm's or there abouts.
You aren't listening. I am NOT talking about without a tune. Go back and look at my original statement. I've reiterated this a couple of times now.

At the end of the day, if anybody wants to spend $50+ on a aftermarket drop-in filter, that is their business. I'm not debating what they do with their money or what it does on a stock tune evo. My original statement was clear.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by splattj
AFE makes a nice dry, washable, drop-in:
https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10...y-s-air-filter
Thanks for the suggestion !
Old Jun 5, 2019, 01:39 PM

Save your bucks.
Thank you for the input and reasoning at the end of it all ill leave this one open for now !
Old Jun 5, 2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by RevMaynard
Aside from going to OEM fluids which are key for stock parts, Stage 1 COBB from my experience is worthless and it'll instantly leave you wanting more because it literally offers nothing to the car other than a set of digital gauges.

Grab the Cobb and get the AMS STX300 tune package. They'll give you a base map, get you to do normal driving, WOT going 2nd, 3rd and 4th and some 3rd gear pulls and fine tune it so it's perfect. It took 5 file versions for my car to be impeccable but the difference now from Stage 1 COBB is huge. Plus, AMS will manipulate the SST tables and make shifting better, COBB, you get a base line which covers 1 SST out of 1,000,000.

That Cosworth filter that takes in more volume than the stock filter does require a MAF/MAP change on post 2013 Evo's. Something I've learned by going through the COBB course for Accesstune is that these tables are pretty much everything to make the car run right.

I recently had to uninstall my COBB High Flow filter because Mitsubishi told me it doesn't fit properly and they slapped in a stock. As soon as a put my tune back on after service, I was overboosting to 28lbs when the car is tuned for 25lbs. That's catastrophic boost levels on a stock Evo X.

Cheers,
Stephen
FOR SURE thanks for the AMS advice will really look into it cause with a Cobb and the system it's 60+ Hp that's really cool I'll do this after I get it all
The following users liked this post:
RevMaynard (Jun 6, 2019)
Old Jun 5, 2019, 01:46 PM

Cheers,
Stephen
I also think there are a few AMS parts already installed I forgot what the owner specifically told me as I'm just gathering all the info before I start dropping all the cash into this
Old Jun 6, 2019, 05:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KidRyanPz
FOR SURE thanks for the AMS advice will really look into it cause with a Cobb and the system it's 60+ Hp that's really cool I'll do this after I get it all
I ended up getting 80+. The difference from stock was night and day, the improvement in shifting in all 3 modes and the pull through 2,3,4 and 5 is how Mitsubishi should have sold these cars to us in the first place.

Cheers,
Stephen
Old Jun 6, 2019, 06:11 AM

I ended up getting 80+. The difference from stock was night and day, the improvement in shifting in all 3 modes and the pull through 2,3,4 and 5 is how Mitsubishi should have sold these cars to us in the first place.

Cheers,
Stephen
Oh wow that's crazy!!! Even if I don't use the paddle shifters like crazy it'll still pull through I assume this is something I'll for sure do after I'm good with cash