Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Parts with no tune.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Parts with no tune.

Alrite guys have a question for the more experienced and or tuners. For the time being I want to throw on an STM intake, ETS race test pipe and V3 extreme cat back. I am at 6500 feet elevation. I know the Evo's run rich from factory. Can I safely get away with these few bolt ons without damaging the motor? I plan on going to E85, boost controller and FMIC with piping in the near future. Don't want to blow money on tune after tune if I can help it but It is entirely too quiet for my liking right now. Or im dreaming and need to just suck it up and get the stuff for the tune. I do understand I wont be able to get the full power of these mods without the tune as well.

Last edited by PhantomBlackEVOX; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I wouldn't recommend installing those mods without a tune. You would definitely benefit more from a tune than you would installing those parts. If you use the same tuner, they won't charge you as much just to update the tune with new parts installed. I know TSComp has something along the lines if you pay for a certain tune, he will update the tune free of charge with updates needed for aftermarket parts. I'm sure other tuners offer this package, but you would have to ask. Just my .02 worth.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63Rules
I wouldn't recommend installing those mods without a tune. You would definitely benefit more from a tune than you would installing those parts. If you use the same tuner, they won't charge you as much just to update the tune with new parts installed. I know TSComp has something along the lines if you pay for a certain tune, he will update the tune free of charge with updates needed for aftermarket parts. I'm sure other tuners offer this package, but you would have to ask. Just my .02 worth.
Thanks for the input. just feeling around for if I can do that or not.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Not worth the risk and most mods won't run well without a proper tune. Chances are it will be less fun than it is now with those parts, as it will feel 'off' and not boost properly. You may escape damage but what's the upside?

Get all parts together and tune all at once imo
The following users liked this post:
PhantomBlackEVOX (Jun 22, 2019)
Old Jun 22, 2019, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
What year Evo?

If it’s too quiet for you, throw the cat back on. You’ll be fine without a tune with that. If you run a test pipe with out a tune, then you could and will hit higher boost levels.

An intake and catback is almost ok, even though most people will say you need a tune no matter what. But that’s just because it will still lean it out a little. I’d say just throw the catback on and just run that for a little while until you get the rest of the parts.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
What year Evo?

If it’s too quiet for you, throw the cat back on. You’ll be fine without a tune with that. If you run a test pipe with out a tune, then you could and will hit higher boost levels.

An intake and catback is almost ok, even though most people will say you need a tune no matter what. But that’s just because it will still lean it out a little. I’d say just throw the catback on and just run that for a little while until you get the rest of the parts.
It's a 2015 GSR. I just bought a house so going on a spending spree for parts isn't in the cards right now. But leaving it stock is depressing. I'll probably throw the cat back on it and wait to do more.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomBlackEVOX
It's a 2015 GSR. I just bought a house so going on a spending spree for parts isn't in the cards right now. But leaving it stock is depressing. I'll probably throw the cat back on it and wait to do more.
Currently I run the ETS test pipe, exhaust, intake, 4inch intercooler, and piping.... car runs fine, does need a tune.

Grimmespeed boost controller is in hand, want a few other things before I get tuned as well. (6months like this. )
Old Jun 23, 2019, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gomcar25
Currently I run the ETS test pipe, exhaust, intake, 4inch intercooler, and piping.... car runs fine, does need a tune.

Grimmespeed boost controller is in hand, want a few other things before I get tuned as well. (6months like this. )
Do you have a wideband and boost gauge? Is so how do they look cruising and WOT if you are going WOT?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have a wideband and boost gauge? Is so how do they look cruising and WOT if you are going WOT?
Af seems fine, boost drops off... in third and fourth iat WOT it gets to 25psi but drops so definitely needs a tune
Old Jun 23, 2019, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gomcar25
Af seems fine, boost drops off... in third and fourth iat WOT it gets to 25psi but drops so definitely needs a tune
Yeah, no matter what these cars need tunes for those mods, but it seems it isn't killing it or hurting it to not be tuned right away. Obviously not gonna rice it up and not tune but I have a similar situation where I have more I want to do before I tune it. Thanks for the input man!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

I'm of the opinion, and perhaps it's unfounded, but if you run a car without a tune for XXX time, while it may take it, and run for that time, what about all the deposits and such that build up from doing so? Over time having all that stuff build up in various places can't be a benefit to any component imo, so I always feel tuning quickly is the best option.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 08:37 AM

Yeah, no matter what these cars need tunes for those mods, but it seems it isn't killing it or hurting it to not be tuned right away. Obviously not gonna rice it up and not tune but I have a similar situation where I have more I want to do before I tune it. Thanks for the input man!
Not worth the risk IMO. Your initial statement was it's too quiet for your liking right now, so throw on the catback (ETS Extreme will be far from quiet) and leave it like that for the next few months while you compile remaining parts. Then install all parts and get a tune. Not sure how people do it otherwise, I'd be cringing every time I hit boost if I was driving untuned. Hell, when I installed my mods and drove to tuner, I didn't even go above 3k.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WW13GSR
Not worth the risk IMO. Your initial statement was it's too quiet for your liking right now, so throw on the catback (ETS Extreme will be far from quiet) and leave it like that for the next few months while you compile remaining parts. Then install all parts and get a tune. Not sure how people do it otherwise, I'd be cringing every time I hit boost if I was driving untuned. Hell, when I installed my mods and drove to tuner, I didn't even go above 3k.

So many different feedbacks on this topic. I am going to put the V3 Extreme on this week. probably wait to do the rest. Just hard to wait lol.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

IMO the best rule of thumb for turbo based cars, to me =

If you change the rate of air flow significantly, tune

Exhaust doesn't do that so enjoy Another thing you can safely add to give it a bit more smooth revving at the higher end of the band is a drop in filter from cosworth. Those are like $50 from Rallysport.com and you feel a bit of their effect without a tune.

Enjoy the car
Old Jun 24, 2019, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys! I will suffer with the cat back until I get all the parts together