Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Wheels cannot be aligned on an older Evo X?!

Old Jul 10, 2019, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Question Wheels cannot be aligned on an older Evo X?!

Front axle

Rear axle

I have been daily driving my Evo X since 2014 and she is a fun car. The odometer is at 78k miles. Recently my dealer noticed excessive and uneven wear on the 2 rear tires and the inner half of them are bald, so I bought 2 new tires and have a shop to do wheel alignment. The car's suspension is stock. The shop is aware that Evo X's front and rear cambers are adjusted by their respective camber bolts.

The shop, however, told me that the wheels cannot be aligned after trying hard. All 4 wheels have persistent negative camber, even when the camber bolts are rotated to the least negative setting. (I took pictures as shown above) The passenger-side front and rear are at -0.9 and -1.4 for the least negative setting. The driver-side front and rear are especially bad, at -1.6 and -2.0 for the least negative setting.

Should I be worried about the suspension components, as well as more severe issues such as that the subframes may be bent?

Let me know what you think! If there is nothing to worry about, I will get aftermarket H&R front camber bolts (or Cusco strut camber plates? or even Ohlins R&T coilovers which come with camber plates?) and Whiteline rear adjustable control arms, so the wheels can be aligned.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lightsaber; Jul 10, 2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added specifics
Old Jul 10, 2019, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts
Feels like you need to look in your area for a proper AWD alignment shop before you buy anything imo. I have a fantastic one here in town that really know what they are doing. After having my EVO aligned by them I went through tires hallf as fast and the car drove straight as an arrow with even wear on all four corners. I am betting they need to adjust the toe more or something else basic.

Good luck, but before throwing parts at it, get a second opinion imo.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
Feels like you need to look in your area for a proper AWD alignment shop before you buy anything imo. I have a fantastic one here in town that really know what they are doing. After having my EVO aligned by them I went through tires hallf as fast and the car drove straight as an arrow with even wear on all four corners. I am betting they need to adjust the toe more or something else basic.

Good luck, but before throwing parts at it, get a second opinion imo.
I agree with getting a second opinion.

Sorry I didn't make it more detailed. One year ago I had this same issue (cambers cannot be aligned) at the Mitsubishi dealer. This year at my annual wheel alignment appointment I ran into it again, so I took the car to a shop that works on Porsches. They have a very good alignment machine, an arsenal of tools, and master techs, and they informed me this the same. They are unable to pinpoint what exactly caused the wheels/suspension/subframe to be out of spec, although we do know that Evo X's stock range of camber adjustment is very narrow to begin with. They recommended me to buy aftermarket rear adjustable control arms and relevant parts for the front (which I interpret as something like strut camber plates).
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

If you trust the shop that 'would' more than likely fix your issue. What year EVO do you have?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema View Post
If you trust the shop that 'would' more than likely fix your issue. What year EVO do you have?
It's 2014 model year. I am concern if this signals more serious problems.

I hope this does not signal anything serious though. Infrequently I do hear this problem on other Evo X's. For example, this review posted on MAPerformance seems to denote the same issue.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Anything is possible, seems like a shop you trust so I'd get the parts and see if they know what they're talking about lol. Good luck with the repair update with results! I had a 2014 myself, however nothing to say that something isn't off on yours that needs to be replaced. Maybe you slightly bent something and never really knew or noticed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.