Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Batteries!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Batteries!!!

I apologize in advance but i have searched for hours on this topic and still have no sure shot answer. I have a 2011 X. 70k miles stock Panasonic battery finally died. Actually worked well for me. Need the best replacement battery that uses the venting port please. Optima Red Top does not vent out of the vehicle and I am trying to avoid any issue by not venting. Is there a red top out there that vents? Should I get the Bosch Platinum AGM with the vent tube? Someone please give me a definitive answer so I can get this damn car back on the road. never thought a battery would be such a headache of a part to replace PROPERLY. Stealership recommends Red Top but doesn't even vent like it should?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Optima does make red-tops that vent.
I've had very good luck with them in the past.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Optima red top with vent that is for Evo X is ALE08FB1X0, available only through Mitsu dealerships. When I checked with Cherry Hill Mitsu a few weeks ago they quoted me $290 with internet discount.

If I had to replace my battery today I'd just be getting this. $190, AGM with vent port.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
After reading conflicting reviews on many brands of batteries I've learned to just go with Costco full size batteries to save money
Old Jul 18, 2019, 09:50 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...placement.html
Old Jul 18, 2019, 09:59 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If your sticking with lead acid, costco all the way.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Just get a group 35 or 35/75 optima. They're sealed... Install and send it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 03:51 PM

yeah issue with those is that in the off chance that they overcharge it still has safety vents and gasses do disperse into the cabin. it's not my daily driver so potential of overcharging is possible and i don't want to have to unplug the battery all the time. the car is supposed to run a vented battery anyways. they're not truly sealed
Old Jul 18, 2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Prime12
Optima red top with vent that is for Evo X is ALE08FB1X0, available only through Mitsu dealerships. When I checked with Cherry Hill Mitsu a few weeks ago they quoted me $290 with internet discount.

If I had to replace my battery today I'd just be getting this. $190, AGM with vent port.
Thanks for this
Old Jul 18, 2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Prime12

do you know how that bosch battery played out? any reviews. seems legit but looks like an exide
Old Jul 18, 2019, 04:04 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by gally
yeah issue with those is that in the off chance that they overcharge it still has safety vents and gasses do disperse into the cabin. it's not my daily driver so potential of overcharging is possible and i don't want to have to unplug the battery all the time. the car is supposed to run a vented battery anyways. they're not truly sealed
My brother had a yellow top that vented. It sprayed a bunch of acid out too. He had a massive stereo system going on so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions other then they can and do vent.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
do you know how that bosch battery played out? any reviews. seems legit but looks like an exide
Correction, the Mitsu part # is ALE08FB1X01. I missed the 1 in the end.

No idea how the Bosch battery played out but I don't see why it wouldn't have worked.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
My brother had a yellow top that vented. It sprayed a bunch of acid out too. He had a massive stereo system going on so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions other then they can and do vent.
I had a brand new red top vent and drip acid when it was installed in a Forester that was overcharging at 16-18v. It's definitely possible, but during normal operation it won't happen. This is what plastic battery trays are for, though.

OP, I really wouldn't be worried about venting gas to the cabin. During normal operation there should be virtually no gas coming off the battery. If there was a significant amount being released you'd blow yourself sky high lighting a smoke
Old Jul 19, 2019, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I went with this bosch one though pepboys:
https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platin...product/838876

It has the vent. Used an elbow fitting to connect the vent tubing. The oem fitting didn't fit 100%. Works great.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Metal_AF
I went with this bosch one though pepboys:
https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platin...product/838876

It has the vent. Used an elbow fitting to connect the vent tubing. The oem fitting didn't fit 100%. Works great.
Thank you! gonna snag that and see how she goes.