Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Radium fuel set up, fuel return vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Radium fuel set up, fuel return vibration problem

I recently installed a radium fuel rail, pressure regulator, pulse damper, and gauge.
Installed everything, attempted to set fuel pressure.....AND, at proper (stock) fuel pressure, I have a severe vibration coming from the fuel return line and the pump.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Old May 2, 2022, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I have the Radium rail/fpr/dampener setup but I also used their feed line/filter kit. I don't have any vibration/noisiness like you're describing.

The inlet is supposed to be on the right side of the rail and the return line coming off the FPR. It's hard to tell with the UICP in the way but is yours plumbed backwards?
Old May 2, 2022, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I had that vibration with the same setup but it came from my upgraded fuel line from the tank under the car. It was annoying. I've seen fuel line isolators dampen the issue but I never got around to trying it before I sold the car.
Old May 2, 2022, 08:57 AM

Yeah it's plumbed correctly. The vibration is from the return line for sure. I can feel the FPR fluttering and vibrating hard. Not like noisy fuel pump nosie or vibration.

At first I thought I might have to enlarge the return port on the hanger, cause I know people have trouble with that, but it doesn't happen at lower pressures, only when I turn it up to where the pressure should be , it starts
Old May 2, 2022, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by splattj
I have the Radium rail/fpr/dampener setup but I also used their feed line/filter kit. I don't have any vibration/noisiness like you're describing.

The inlet is supposed to be on the right side of the rail and the return line coming off the FPR. It's hard to tell with the UICP in the way but is yours plumbed backwards?
Do you have the pump hanger too? According to them the problem is because of the return being restricted, which is of course solved by using their $1400 pump hanger and line kit.
Old May 2, 2022, 05:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Blunk
Do you have the pump hanger too? According to them the problem is because of the return being restricted, which is of course solved by using their $1400 pump hanger and line kit.
That’s BS as I had literally everything radium makes fuel related. Pump hanger, surge tank, feed/return lines, filter, rail, dampener, fpr.
Old May 2, 2022, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Pull the return line at the engine and put it into a fuel can. Start the car with the pressure properly set. Then you will know if the venturi in the tank is causing this vibration.
Old May 3, 2022, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
That’s BS as I had literally everything radium makes fuel related. Pump hanger, surge tank, feed/return lines, filter, rail, dampener, fpr.
Right, and this is my concern. I have no desire to buy the Radium hanger and kit, but id be really pissed if I did and the vibration was still there.
I tried to explain to them that this is not a small vibration and that the regulator clicks and flutters, and vibrates half the car with it. I told them id send a video so they could see it.
They replied that they don't want a video and they've seen the problem multiple times, and every time they have someone return the FPR for testing, it's fine. I was going to copy and paste the email, maybe later.
They also said adding another pulse damper, to the return side, will " help reduce" the vibration.
Ultimately , I'm looking for a solution.
I am going to increase the venturi port size. I've already done that on a few EVOs. (Not for this problem) So we'll see if that helps
I could always just switch back to the factory regulator. Radium already told me they won't take anything back despite the problems though, because the parts were installed. So I'm stuck with all these parts either way.
Lastly, I read somewhere that people weren't having this problem with the AMS or aero regulators, but I don't know if that's true.
Frustrating to say the least
Old May 3, 2022, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Pull the return line at the engine and put it into a fuel can. Start the car with the pressure properly set. Then you will know if the venturi in the tank is causing this vibration.
I actually have an extra stock hanger, so I'm just going to enlarge it and see what happens.
Old May 3, 2022, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm a sucker who went all-in and got their hanger and line kit. My OEM feed line is now my return line and I have their feed line. Also, the old style hanger is crap at slosh control and gives me left-hand turn starvation issue. Which, of course, can only be solved with the updated/revised OEM-style hanger or a surge tank (yes I made sure the pump is at the correct depth). As if the $$$ I threw their way already wasn't enough. Oh, and if you want to use their Evo X specific surge tank kit, the lines are for the stock hanger and they don't have an option to plumb for their hanger so you just have to figure it out yourself. The individual component quality is definitely top notch but I too found their post-sales support and Evo X platform support very lacking.
Old May 10, 2022, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm a sucker who went all-in and got their hanger and line kit. My OEM feed line is now my return line and I have their feed line. Also, the old style hanger is crap at slosh control and gives me left-hand turn starvation issue. Which, of course, can only be solved with the updated/revised OEM-style hanger or a surge tank (yes I made sure the pump is at the correct depth). As if the $$$ I threw their way already wasn't enough. Oh, and if you want to use their Evo X specific surge tank kit, the lines are for the stock hanger and they don't have an option to plumb for their hanger so you just have to figure it out yourself. The individual component quality is definitely top notch but I too found their post-sales support and Evo X platform support very lacking.
I just cleaned my fuel filter filter with their kit. I have the complete fuel delivery system as well with the version 2 pump hanger and upgraded lines and everything. I jacked my car up from the driver's side with about half a tank of ethanol, cleaned thr filter put it back. Noticed when I was leak testing there was loud pulsing on the return line and I could feel it through the firewall where the pedals were. I soon realized but jacking the car up all the fuel has been moved to the opposite end of the tank. I raised the car up on the right side to move some fuel back to where the hanger was and all was good. I've never had the loud pulsing problem until than but it's been fixed. Maybe in your setup there's an issue with siphoning from the right side of the tank. I've had no issues with my setup.

Edit woops wrong person, and I realized he doesn't have the fuel hanger. If you have the walbro 450 op, I do know that even on the stock hanger with the return drilled out its not enough to alleviate the restriction. You don't necessarily need a new hanger, but you'll need a -6an return line, BD Alchemist on YouTube talks about this issue.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 06:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if the problem comes down to return pressure, check my thread out here : https://www.evoxforums.com/threads/r.../#post-6148266
I have a hardwired 450 and didn't want to mess with the venturi after drilling it with little success. I used the Radium Venturi Jet Pump at an super stable @ 50psi with the vacuum line off and plugged, and about 43psi when hooked up and idling. no more jerky throttle cause of high FP. stock 6an feed, 4an return with 0 fueling problems.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
hardwiring a 450 to run high power no matter what the load is going to throw some serious heat into the fuel.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, and this is my concern. I have no desire to buy the Radium hanger and kit, but id be really pissed if I did and the vibration was still there.
I tried to explain to them that this is not a small vibration and that the regulator clicks and flutters, and vibrates half the car with it. I told them id send a video so they could see it.
They replied that they don't want a video and they've seen the problem multiple times, and every time they have someone return the FPR for testing, it's fine. I was going to copy and paste the email, maybe later.
They also said adding another pulse damper, to the return side, will " help reduce" the vibration.
Ultimately , I'm looking for a solution.
I am going to increase the venturi port size. I've already done that on a few EVOs. (Not for this problem) So we'll see if that helps
I could always just switch back to the factory regulator. Radium already told me they won't take anything back despite the problems though, because the parts were installed. So I'm stuck with all these parts either way.
Lastly, I read somewhere that people weren't having this problem with the AMS or aero regulators, but I don't know if that's true.
Frustrating to say the least
I have radium hanger, fuel filter, rail, FPR-D plumbed with AN-8 send and -6 return running a single walbro 450. I started having the same vibration problem when I added the FPR-D, I been thru 2 revision of it with the latest one being the worst, I been thinking of going back to the SARD Type-RJ or maybe venturing into a Fuelab AFPR, I even get a very nasty swoosh like noise after going woot and lifting the pedal.