Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Lancer Evolution X News, Info, Pics, etc... | [ALL THREADS MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
the whole point of having a manual transmission over an automatic is to be able to control the gears more precisely, have quicker shifts than automatics, and go faster, am i right?
NO... Unless you are a professional racecar driver this would not be your primary concern, driving enjoyment would be. I'm gonna guess that there are more potential Evo X owners that will not be professional racecar driver that those that will be.
For the vast majority of people that buy a car such as this the driving experience is what is most important to them, they really could care less if one car is 1/10th of a second quicker around some race track that they will probably never go to. They simply want the drive to be entertaining.

I recently drove a $187k Aston Martin DB9 that was equipped with a DSG type system. The system worked flawlessly. The car was magnificent, but I can honestly say that I had much more fun driving the EVO IX that I test drove a few months ago.
Now don’t misunderstand; it did feel good being behind the wheel of the Aston and who can argue with having 480 BHP under the hood, but as a driver’s car the Evo was more engaging for two reasons… One, it was lighter, and two, it was a manual tranny. I felt like I was truly a part of the machine. The Aston with it's state of the art paddle shifter left me feeling disconnected. I concluded it would make a nice highway cruiser but was not a true driver's car.
That said, I would prefer the X have a six speed manual as an option and if it cost me a couple tenths of a second, somehow, I’ll survive.

Last edited by bounce; Dec 21, 2005 at 07:34 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I think it looks SWEET!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering Mitsu's financial situation I don't think they can afford to not offer a conventional 5/6 speed convential clutch system.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bounce
NO... Unless you are a professional racecar driver this would not be your primary concern, driving enjoyment would be.
your comments are the best written I've seen in cutting to the chase of why manuals still rule!!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
When your inside a car... YOU CAN'T SEE THE OUTSIDE.
Unfortunately, you can still see the same crude level of finish on the inside... (there's no where to hide!!)
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sexiest gauges EVER!

I've never seen the interior shots before. Very basic and very sleek. Great concept. Can't wait to see the real thing!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be shocked if they develop a sequential manual that is worth using given their financial problems. Transmissions are extremely expensive to engineer, and I don't see how Mitsubishi can afford to do so. But if they do make a decent one, I will be the first in line to buy it.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
Edmunds has the X targeted for release in late '07, as a 2008 model. That's a little better than Motor Trend's projection, but it's still a terrible wait. You wait all you want for your better looking exterior and interior, I'll have fun now and even more fun when the X finally arrives.
Yeah, unfortunately there's not a helluva lot out on the market right now that suits me... but things are looking more promising in '07 & '08. My latest plans are to get a 24month, 15K miles/year lease come next summer on a Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring Model (6spd, HIDs, Bilsteins, LSD, 17"whls, etc.) for $306./mo. That would give me some top-down fun in a light (2498#'s), tossable car (although under-powered for me at 170HP). Plans could change, but it would tide me over until the X arrives, or, if the X doesn't come close to the concept, then for all the other sports cars due for an '07 introduction or remake.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Looking great...

Old Dec 21, 2005, 08:54 PM

loving the look. will it keep the legendary 4g63 engine?
Old Dec 21, 2005, 09:13 PM

about how sure is everyone on the final product looking similar to that? and I have been on and off this site, so I dont feel like looking through all the posts, but have they announced any more info on allowing it to come with the manual tranny? and it's still keeping the AWD right? :-\
Old Dec 21, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK I knew this would happen, that's why I held my opinion for a while. At first, I was like man that looks like pseudo-futuro-***...now I'm like damn I want it when does it come out?

As always, the numbers don't lie. If it's a pig and doesn't outperform its predecessor, of course it should go straight from the showroom to the recycling bin. However, if they managed to outdo the IX and keep it modable as well...then it's for me.

I am anxiously awaiting the first reviews of the production version of this vastly different machine.

Since homologation rules have been tossed since 2000, and isn't even competing in WRC anymore anyway, we'll just have to accept that it is only a street car now with no direct ties to a real racing car. The CT9A is most likely the last cassis to see WRC trim. Let's see if they don't screw it up eh?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Darwin's theory of Evolution:

Old Dec 22, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

I really don't know how anybody can say the EVO X is not a great looking car.

You can always nit-pick here and there, but if they keep 90% of the look of the concept, it will look awesome and be a hit for Mitsubishi.

I think the interior will be toned down quite a bit on the production models, as it would push the price into the mid 40's if they tried to pull all that off.

And don't worry about performance. With 300 hp expected in this car, I'd say 0-60 is going to come in the mid 4 second range!

Last edited by jperryrocks; Dec 22, 2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

From one British dealer:
Mitsubishi Concept X is new EVO
On Sale: June 2007
Price: From £14,000 (tbc)

Mitsubishi confirmed at Tokyo that this Concept-X show star is the new Lancer Evo X all but in name. The new car's aggressive styling, with its gaping grille and taut surfaces, suggests the new Evo could be the best looking version yet. It's bigger than the current car with wider front and rear tracks. An aluminium roof and panels help reduce weight and lower the centre of gravity.Under the bonnet is an evolution of Mitsubishi's long-serving 2.0 litre four cylinder turbocharged engine offering as much as 330bhp.
From another mag:
The production version is expected to be shown at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show. (Mar 2006)
Enticing British official Mitsu advertisement:
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/fea...dvertorial.pdf

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution X News, Info, Pics, etc... | [ALL THREADS MERGED]