Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Wiring into the tach signal (tach recall shift light)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring into the tach signal (tach recall shift light)

We don't have the pin outs here for the Evo X and have a customer with an Evo X who needs to install a Gizzmo Tach Recall Shift Light. This shiftlight is designed to interact with the tachometer to display high rpm from memory and normally wires into the tach signal from the ECU.

Anyone here have the pin outs or know where the tach signal wire is for the 2008 Evo X?

Thanks,
Lloyd
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Chances are I will try pinout #4 which is "No. 1 Ignition Coil (Ignition Power Transistor)" since as long as it sees a proper voltage range it will be able to set idle, half redline, and near redline knock settings for a TurboXS Knocklite I'm installing. It also needs it for setting the shift light so as long as the voltage of pin 4 climbs in a linear manner I should be good using that.

it's got some holes but here are most of the pinouts on the Evo X ecu:

http://roadraceengineering.com/evox/...-ecuwiring.htm

So far every search I've done shows a bunch of questions of where the RPM or Tach signal is on the ECU pinout but nobody posted an answer, just PM's.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks HiBoost,
We've about arrived at the conclusion that the instrument cluster on the X is a CAN sourced cluster, i.e. there is no true tach signal off the ECU. Seems directly off the coil might be the only way to get the pulse type signal necessary for a shift light, but then it will not be integrated with the tach.

Thanks for the pin out link.

Cheers,
Lloyd
www.TunerTools.com
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^I'm also looking into installing a shift light. How did splicing directly off the coil work out for you?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb

Well guys and gals, the Turbo XS Knocklite is all hooked up and so far everything is working. I have it on the max sensitivity and trying to push the envelope with boost to see if any knock appears. So far it's knock free at 26 PSI and a short OBD2 datalog showed timing climbing throughout the gear pulls. Of course the boost does drop off quite a bit on the stock X turbos but I'll have to really push it to see any knock I bet. Let's just say Al did a fine job keeping everything safe along with the new found power!

I think a got a blink of the amber light which is light knock when I wasn't fully warmed up getting on the highway but that was my mistake. I did set the engine noise thresholds at idle, followed by 2nd gear at 3500 and 7000 which will likely make the threshold pretty high. I may do it with free revving once it is all warmed up and see if it is more sensitive to even the slightest noise that way.

The shift light feature was easily set by driving at half the RPM you want it set for, so I did it in 4th gear which kept the RPM's nice and constant for a 7500 green light to kick in now with my 7800 rev limiter, although I may set it a bit lower since I rarely rev it that high. So looks like the change in voltage on the "No. 1 Ignition Coil (Ignition Power Transistor)" which is pin 4 on the ECU works just fine!

Once I get more seat time with the datalogger at the track to compare to what the TurboXS knock lite is reporting, I'll do a review on this little $110 wonder.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So basically, with the unit spliced into 1 ignition coil, you drove at 3750rpm to set the shift light to come on at 7500, correct?

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Sep 5, 2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
So basically, with the unit spliced into 1 ignition coil, you drove at 3750rpm to set the shift light to come on at 7500, correct?
Yep! Seems to work flawless in that regard although the Knocklite is so much more helpfull than just a shift light. It was a super hot day today and at around 5500 RPM's i got a slight blip of light knock in 4th after hammering on from a hot start where the car was heat soaked, so the knock sensor input seems to be working properly. This was with it on it's highest sensitivity level and I didn't hear any knock or feel any hesitation so I may bump it down to 9 out of 10.

I've also read that cars will sometimes show a slight blip of knock the first time you go full power through the rev range but then it will be fine after that once the ECU adjusts the timing advance thresholds. Something about it trying to advance the timing within certain limits based on the fuel you are using.