Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Request: Hella Supertone horn Install

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This-
Originally Posted by TwiNpnOy84
i know that. I am asking about wiring 2 pairs. In other words, 4 horns.
BTW-
Here's a picture of mine. At first, I wanted the one in the center grill not to stand out so one is black, and the lower one is red. They are now both black.

Last edited by rodent; Aug 3, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'm very interested! I would love to find out more.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

nice i've been thinking of switching the horns!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any chance someone can post a sound clip of how these hella horn sounds like?

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:02 PM

^ youtube
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:16 PM

nice planning to switch too!!!!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:43 PM

Simple question, do you need the stupid relay? or can you just cut the old horn and wire the hellas to it?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On my '03 VIII, no relay necessary.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured I'd post some notes from my install, for anyone finding this thread in the future.

* I did NOT have to remove the bumper to do the install. I simply removed the black plastic shroud that covers the horn and intercooler / UICP.
* You don't need the relay that comes with the horns, our X already has one
* You can install just one horn, I installed the lower frequency one, it has a nice, deep tone
* I created a short ground wire which I hooked to one of the horn leads, then ran it up to the big mounting bolt for the horn bracket. That is my ground. I used the stock horn wire to hook up to the other lead on the Hella.
* I installed the Hella horn on the same bolt as the stock horn, using the Hella bracket. It's pointed toward the center of the car and it's right under the hood latch. It blocks the 3 bolts that you need to remove to remove the bumper, but it doesn't block the radiator, which is more important to me.
* In the above location, I had to trim down the black plastic shroud to reinstall it. I used a Dremel to cut an oval chunk out of the bottom of it, so that it can fit over the larger Hella horn. From the top, it looks like nothing is changed. From the front you can't see the cut. In other words, it's a very clean install.

I can take pictures if anyone is interested, but it's a pretty easy install, just take your time.
The following users liked this post:
EastWickEvo (Aug 24, 2017)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:30 AM

Have any of you guys considered a Stebel Nautilus horn? I have used these on my motorcycles for years - they are 139db (yes, that is incredibly loud). Sure, they don't look nice and pretty and red like the Hella horns (if that's what you're after) but I can tell you from personal experience that when I got my 2012 Evo X MR, I found the horn to be totally pathetic. I went out and got a pair of the Hella Supertones, installed them (not easy to mount them without a- blocking airflow to the rad, b- seeing the red "rice" look through the grill and c- putting them in the locations of the stock tiny horns; one behind the grill where you can see it from the front of the car and the other stock horn down below, in the front near the driver side fog light). Anyhow, I replaced them with one of these Nautlius horns and:
- it's louder than both of the Hellas
- it's easier to install and there is only one piece versus two horns
- it makes dogs and kids run away when I blast it
- it's cheaper than the Hella Supertone kit

...yes, it should be installed with its relay - I get that the Evo has a large OEM horn relay but the circuit to it is protected with a 15 amp fuse; not enough and it will blow if you lean on the horn for more than one to two seconds. See link below:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/stebe...lack-or-chrome
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal
I figured I'd post some notes from my install, for anyone finding this thread in the future.

* I did NOT have to remove the bumper to do the install. I simply removed the black plastic shroud that covers the horn and intercooler / UICP.
* You don't need the relay that comes with the horns, our X already has one
* You can install just one horn, I installed the lower frequency one, it has a nice, deep tone
* I created a short ground wire which I hooked to one of the horn leads, then ran it up to the big mounting bolt for the horn bracket. That is my ground. I used the stock horn wire to hook up to the other lead on the Hella.
* I installed the Hella horn on the same bolt as the stock horn, using the Hella bracket. It's pointed toward the center of the car and it's right under the hood latch. It blocks the 3 bolts that you need to remove to remove the bumper, but it doesn't block the radiator, which is more important to me.
* In the above location, I had to trim down the black plastic shroud to reinstall it. I used a Dremel to cut an oval chunk out of the bottom of it, so that it can fit over the larger Hella horn. From the top, it looks like nothing is changed. From the front you can't see the cut. In other words, it's a very clean install.

I can take pictures if anyone is interested, but it's a pretty easy install, just take your time.
Lets see some pics dude!! I'm debating getting a set...would we need the relay if we use both horns?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ogrenator
Lets see some pics dude!! I'm debating getting a set...would we need the relay if we use both horns?
All a relay does is deliver power from a source when triggered. So, no, I don't think you'd need a second relay if you install both horns. They'll be powered by the same stock relay.

I'll try to take some pictures today, the car is sitting in the garage out for the count anyway.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well reason I ask is idk what the stock evo one is but I know that on some cars if they don't get enough power they are weaksauce and then there is no point in getting them in the first place
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ogrenator
well reason I ask is idk what the stock evo one is but I know that on some cars if they don't get enough power they are weaksauce and then there is no point in getting them in the first place
I'm pretty sure they'd work fine if you install both, I just don't know where you'd install the second one. The space up front is very limited, and you really don't want to block the radiator any more, I don't think. Plus, one is PLENTY loud, just wait till you hear it.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Someone do a how to on this for the evo 8 cause im definitely interested in them lol

Quick Reply: Request: Hella Supertone horn Install