Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Hide-Away License Plate Frame (Pictures & Video)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In CO it's legal to have it on the front Dash. I'll probably remove it one day, then if I get pulled over, I'll just reach under the seat. And when parking at a meter, same thing.
Old May 13, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how does the mechanism work on those frames? is it cable-driven? is it sturdy? Neat concept, but wish it was higher up
Old May 13, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

It's cable-driven. I haven't really tested the cable, as I still don't have power to the motor so I haven't been messing around with it much. Our bumper is too narrow and isn't meant for this frame whatsoever, so the unit itself isn't too stable on our flimsy bumper. It seems like a quality piece, but it doesn't work all too well with our cars.

For instance, while trying to squeeze between the garage wall and my car tonight, I kicked the frame with my shoe and one of the two bolts fell off, leaving the plate hanging diagonally. It took 5 minutes to put the screw back into the grommet, and the grommet back into the hole drilled in the bumper, but it didn't take much for it to fall off.

Last edited by macPSU; May 13, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
In CO it's legal to have it on the front Dash. I'll probably remove it one day, then if I get pulled over, I'll just reach under the seat. And when parking at a meter, same thing.
I think its illegal or at least highly not recommended anywhere. reason being (i myself had it there) in case of an accident the plate can slide off ur dash and if ur going fast enough can cause serious damage to ur face. i have even heard of it slicing a persons neck in an accident (dunno about how legit this story is ) but nonetheless most cops get annoyed when they see this because it is a danger to the passenger and driver
Old May 14, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Webman
...then if I get pulled over, I'll just reach under the seat.
Ha ha, good luck with that. You'll probably end up looking down the wrong end of a Beretta or Glock, or having your car searched.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:10 AM

I think it looks awesome but like everyone else said way too low... I'd also be worried about flying down the highway with it up or down... You hit the right speed it could just rip it right off couldn't it or at least snap it back the other way?
Old May 17, 2009, 08:13 AM

I have the plate inside but I don't just have it sitting there, I actually have it with some suction cups. Its never flown off, so so far so good
Old May 17, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

I'm glad I don't have to have a front plate :P
Old May 19, 2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Ha ha, good luck with that. You'll probably end up looking down the wrong end of a Beretta or Glock, or having your car searched.
Know your rights Cops are not the law they inforce it, and some times or most of the time they are incorrect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIsSyP4Xq1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glpy3f-tEfY
Old May 19, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anbuzero
I think its illegal or at least highly not recommended anywhere. reason being (i myself had it there) in case of an accident the plate can slide off ur dash and if ur going fast enough can cause serious damage to ur face. i have even heard of it slicing a persons neck in an accident (dunno about how legit this story is ) but nonetheless most cops get annoyed when they see this because it is a danger to the passenger and driver
Originally Posted by GPTourer
lol, totally.

My boss has a Vette Z06 and didn't mount the plate. He's been pulled over a few times, and they don't hassle him for having it int he windshield. He did get a ticket from a meter maid for not having it up there when parked at a meter. I havent' had any issues, but I also haven't been pulled over in the Evo yet.
Old May 23, 2009, 03:10 PM

I like it!! but I agree, it's overpriced for both.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by missionstatemen
Know your rights Cops are not the law they inforce it, and some times or most of the time they are incorrect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIsSyP4Xq1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glpy3f-tEfY
Interesting videos, but its not that deep. I was just kidding with guy that its probably not a good idea to be seen reaching under a seat when an officer is approaching your car, regardless of what your rights are.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:26 AM

Is there a way to install it in the center?
Old May 25, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by malymabl97
Is there a way to install it in the center?
I'm sure it can be done, but you would have to modify or remove the center part of the undertray, which is the most important part IMO. The way I installed it, you just have to remove 1/3 of the undertray and it sits pretty nicely. I finally wired the plate, and I'll post a video up shortly.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

BUMP for video of the plate in action added to the first post.

Quick Reply: Hide-Away License Plate Frame (Pictures & Video)