Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Changing oil on rear diff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LaXGSR
No one seems to have mentioned this, so I will. The rear diff has two fluids. One part uses LSD gear oil, the other uses Diamond ATF SP3. The fill/drain bolts have labels next to them (engraved onto the rear diff) that say "Gear Oil" and "ATF SP3". For some reason, the gear oil has two fill bolts, but you're only supposed to remove one of them. Look in the service manual or in the useful threads in the mitsubishiparts.net forums for a link to the thread that shows how to service the rear diff.

Also, you need a 10 mm hex to remove the drain bolts. Some auto shops label the tool as a disc caliper hex tool too - just make sure it's 10 mm.
thanks for the info. i'm looking to change the ATF oil. LSD oil i will be leaving alone for now.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
thanks for the info. i'm looking to change the ATF oil. LSD oil i will be leaving alone for now.
I think you have it backwards. The ATF fluid is for the AYC and doesn't require servicing until 30k miles. And when you do change the AYC fluid the system needs to be bled which I believe requires a MUT tool.

It's the Gear Oil you want to change. The Rear Diff. holds 0.55 qts and changing it is a breeze.

1. Remove DRAIN plug (on bottom, should be marked "Gear Oil")

2. Replace DRAIN plug and Remove FILL plug (also marked "Gear Oil;" faces front of car)

3. Fill using fluid pump with 0.55 qts or until the fluids starts to spill out (indicating it's full.)

4. Replace fill plug.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
I think you have it backwards. The ATF fluid is for the AYC and doesn't require servicing until 30k miles. And when you do change the AYC fluid the system needs to be bled which I believe requires a MUT tool.

It's the Gear Oil you want to change. The Rear Diff. holds 0.55 qts and changing it is a breeze.

2. Replace DRAIN plug and Remove FILL plug (also marked "Gear Oil;" faces front of car)

3. Fill using fluid pump with 0.55 qts or until the fluids starts to spill out (indicating it's full.)

4. Replace fill plug.
hm is that right. i'll look up the service manual to be sure.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stokEd

4. Replace fill plug.
Thats how I did it
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

I just changed mine. No pumps need. Just a tube, funnel and gravity.

Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, like the service manual says, ALWAYS remove the filler plug first. The reason for this is just in case the filler plug is seized on for some reason and you can't get it off...you don't want to drain all the fluid first only to find you can't fill it. Also, if will help it drain a little easier. No need to bleed the rear diff if you are just replacing atf or gear oil fluids.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the write up mates!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, like the service manual says, ALWAYS remove the filler plug first. The reason for this is just in case the filler plug is seized on for some reason and you can't get it off...you don't want to drain all the fluid first only to find you can't fill it..
Good call.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:00 AM

BTW, like the service manual says, ALWAYS remove the filler plug first. The reason for this is just in case the filler plug is seized on for some reason and you can't get it off...you don't want to drain all the fluid first only to find you can't fill it. Also, if will help it drain a little easier. No need to bleed the rear diff if you are just replacing atf or gear oil fluids.

+2
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In case you guys are interested. More info on fluids.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...quivalent.html
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Wow there are so many fluids...

Can someone clarify this rear diff torque part and explain it a bit better, or know where I can read about it? The service manual is worded strange, or at least it is for me. Why are there two fluid in the read differential again?

Last edited by flyguycfi; Sep 23, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
Wow there are so many fluids...

Can someone clarify this rear diff torque part and explain it a bit better, or know where I can read about it? The service manual is worded strange, or at least it is for me. Why are there two fluid in the read differential again?
In the rear diff, one part is for torque transfer, one is for the AYC control I believe. It doesn't get much clearer than the service manual. Just match up the pics. Also, the fill/drain bolts have engraved labels next to them saying "gear oil" or "atf sp3" to make it less confusing which goes where.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, did mine two days ago. you're looking for "gear oil." make sure you use up at least 0.55 qts when you fill it up. i filled it up to .3 and for some reason it started splattering out, so i thought it was full until i read the manual again.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:28 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by endGameXIII
yeah, did mine two days ago. you're looking for "gear oil." make sure you use up at least 0.55 qts when you fill it up. i filled it up to .3 and for some reason it started splattering out, so i thought it was full until i read the manual again.
I always do the fluid changes at a angle. For the rear, you want the rear of the car a bit lower than the front on the jack stands. For the front transfer case you want the car leaning a bit to the left and forward on the jack stands. So you get a bit more oil in with out it spewing out of the hole everywhere.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

So most of you just use the factory fluids?

Quick Reply: Changing oil on rear diff