Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Changing oil on rear diff

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
I always do the fluid changes at a angle. For the rear, you want the rear of the car a bit lower than the front on the jack stands. For the front transfer case you want the car leaning a bit to the left and forward on the jack stands. So you get a bit more oil in with out it spewing out of the hole everywhere.
The only way I'd recommend that is if you are leaning the car so that the fill hole is at the highest point. I'm not sure if that is what you are in fact stating as I don't have a X nor have I been under one.

The fill hole is supposed to be used as the "full mark" so that when the fluid starts coming back out, the resevoir is at a spec level. Is there an issue with overfilling these particular resevoirs? Not that I know of, but I'd hate for someone to read your advice and not realize you have a X whereas they have a different year model.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yahu
The only way I'd recommend that is if you are leaning the car so that the fill hole is at the highest point. I'm not sure if that is what you are in fact stating as I don't have a X nor have I been under one.

The fill hole is supposed to be used as the "full mark" so that when the fluid starts coming back out, the resevoir is at a spec level. Is there an issue with overfilling these particular resevoirs? Not that I know of, but I'd hate for someone to read your advice and not realize you have a X whereas they have a different year model.
It's the section for the X, therefore I am talking about the X. I am not talking to angle the car at 45 degree angle. I am saying maybe 1-2% grade angle. It helps keep the fluid in a bit better when you are trying to fill the diff or transfer case. Once it start spewing what ever little bit comes out will be negated by the angle so then you will have full case to spec. I doubt .05 of qt makes a difference this way or that. Otherwise they would make you fill everything in a car with a graduated cylinder.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
It's the section for the X, therefore I am talking about the X. I am not talking to angle the car at 45 degree angle. I am saying maybe 1-2% grade angle. It helps keep the fluid in a bit better when you are trying to fill the diff or transfer case. Once it start spewing what ever little bit comes out will be negated by the angle so then you will have full case to spec. I doubt .05 of qt makes a difference this way or that. Otherwise they would make you fill everything in a car with a graduated cylinder.
See - people not reading the details of your post. ME!

you got me on that one!
Old May 6, 2010, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

normally how long or how many miles to change the LSD gear oil??
Old May 6, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

how many mile before you change your gear oil?
Old May 17, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wrxnevox
how many mile before you change your gear oil?
For the Tranny, TC, and Rear Diff, I cut the 30k mile maintenance interval in half and do it every 15k miles. (15K is also the severe usage interval from the service manual)

That works out to about once a year for me. I do it every year on the evo's birthday. (well the day I purchased it) I have some beers and she gets some fresh AMSOIL!
Old May 18, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by geezevox
For the Tranny, TC, and Rear Diff, I cut the 30k mile maintenance interval in half and do it every 15k miles. (15K is also the severe usage interval from the service manual)

That works out to about once a year for me. I do it every year on the evo's birthday. (well the day I purchased it) I have some beers and she gets some fresh AMSOIL!

where did you get AMSOIL? i go to auto shop sometimes and never seen any
Old May 18, 2010, 12:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ here on evom !
Old May 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
^ here on evom !
can you pm me price on engine oil and gear oil shipped to 10304? thanks
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:58 AM

yep that was some info
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:30 PM

hi im new on this so anybody can help me with some picture from the location of transfer and differential thanks guyssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

gotta get this done also. thanks for the tips