Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Stock o2 housing removal, downpipe install. Don't be skurrred!

Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@SD_lurker...then what would you recommend doing?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For anyone that cares about their turbo do not use the hammer on the o2 housing as the OP mentioned. That is a really bad idea.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ty, in for reference
Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:54 PM

This will be very handy for my future DP install. thanks OP!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 09:44 AM

Definitely will be following these steps when I get my ets 02 dump! Since I only have a few hundred miles on my X so far, I wouldn't have much of a problem with taking the bolts/nuts off, probably just pb blaster will do the magic then, and no hammering needed?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gan-san
Definitely will be following these steps when I get my ets 02 dump! Since I only have a few hundred miles on my X so far, I wouldn't have much of a problem with taking the bolts/nuts off, probably just pb blaster will do the magic then, and no hammering needed?
If you still want your turbo to spin freely I adivse against hammering on the o2 housing
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:16 AM

Did a Downpipe install on my first X at about 25k miles and another on my current X at about 2k miles. Never needed a hammer. Just pre soak everything and have patience.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:35 AM

Is there no torque requirements for the bolts that go on this downpipe?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:02 PM

Hi all Do I need a new aftermarket manifold heat shield with this o2 dump? Not sure but will stock manifold heat shield going have rattling sound issues when top bolts are only thing holding it in place or its okay reinstall it?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old May 17, 2015, 08:25 PM

Just finished the install this weekend. I noticed ever since I sprayed the PB Blaster on the bolts that I'm getting smoke from the engine, specifically exhaust manifold area. At first I just figured it was burning off the excess lubricant and overspray but it has been a couple days now and after the engine is running for a few minutes, I notice it smoking. I'm hoping that i'm just being paranoid.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:10 AM

I went from a MAP o2 dump pipe back to stock o2 housing and stock downpipe this weekend. In short, the o2 dump pipe is significantly harder to maneuver due to the "dual pipe" setup and you will (depending on brand) need to remove some additional pieces... a support bracket and a small weight near the bottom of the downpipe. There is virtually zero clearance on one of the o2 housing bolts, and a combination of swivel sockets, swivel joints, extensions, and ratcheting wrenches were my best friends.

To comment on the above:

-Good write-up - thanks!
-Do not use a hammer
-If you use PB blaster, you will get some smoke after your first drive... that is normal.
-This job is a PITA! If you can find some cheap, trusted labor, just have someone else do the job...
Old May 27, 2015, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by kcn0
I went from a MAP o2 dump pipe back to stock o2 housing and stock downpipe this weekend. In short, the o2 dump pipe is significantly harder to maneuver due to the "dual pipe" setup and you will (depending on brand) need to remove some additional pieces... a support bracket and a small weight near the bottom of the downpipe. There is virtually zero clearance on one of the o2 housing bolts, and a combination of swivel sockets, swivel joints, extensions, and ratcheting wrenches were my best friends.

To comment on the above:

-Good write-up - thanks!
-Do not use a hammer
-If you use PB blaster, you will get some smoke after your first drive... that is normal.
-This job is a PITA! If you can find some cheap, trusted labor, just have someone else do the job...
I agree with your points and also add that if you have a friend who can help, it makes a world of difference!
Old May 27, 2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by boostedlife
I agree with your points and also add that if you have a friend who can help, it makes a world of difference!

I look at getting under the car the same as lifting free weights... you can do it by yourself, but it is always better to have someone close by. Plus, the extra hands and vantage point from the engine bay is a huge help!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I knocked this out over the weekend when installing my MAP 02 dump. I referenced this thread but I personally found some unneccessary steps. For starters, I at no point removed the strut tower bar. I was able to get to all the bolts with extensions and swivel sockets. I also didn't remove my test pipe, it stayed in. Lastly I never removed the wastegate actuator arm. I didn't have to hammer the bolt facing the opposite way. Once the other bolts were out I started pivoting the 02 housing up and down and it basically unscrewed it self. I was then able to unscrew the nut with my hand. When installing the MAP dump I fed it through the bottom opening under the car. Plenty of room, just have to move those hoses out of the way. All in all it was a straight forward process. I wasn't rushing, took my time with it. Managed to get it done in 6 hours start to finish including a lunch break and a a couple 30 minute breaks to let the PB blaster soak in. The hardest part by far was removing the stock 02 housing heat shield. Those two bolts were on so tight not to mention there's not a lot of room down there to work. So happy with the end result though. Car sounds amazing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock o2 housing removal, downpipe install. Don't be skurrred!