Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Making my own gauge cluster pods

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thanman99
amazing job with the PVC!
Thanks! Next time gonna be using just all ABS plastic.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
👍👍
Old Aug 30, 2017, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks really good
Old Sep 5, 2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 06AznEvo
Thanks! Next time gonna be using just all ABS plastic.
I was just thinking about doing this same thing. I can't see $200 and a 3 month wait from Ortiz Custom. I thought the process would be a lot more difficult than it looks. Is this as doable as it seems to be? I'm usually pretty good with make it work.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 05:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is an awesome job! Looks great!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 08:25 AM

Thanks guys! And yes, it really is just that "easy" to do depending on your skill set I guess. Not saying that mine was even that great, but for being my very first time doing anything like that, I thought it wasn't so bad to do. I picked up a used gauge cluster on eBay for about $30-40 and the rest of the other pieces was like maybe $10-20 worth of materials being used at the very most, even if that. But yeah, I couldn't get myself to spend $200 and also waiting 3 months, which is why I just wanted to try myself and see how difficult it really was to do. Honestly, the most difficult of the entire process was probably just angling them and making sure both sides was as symmetrical looking as possible. Some may thinking sanding and all that is "difficult" but really it's not. In that sense is really depending on how patient you are with it to be honest. Then from there is just making all your cuts, gluing, filling, sanding, and painting.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:33 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
Looks good man. Honestly, I purchased the Ortiz pod. It took forever to get it, and it looked like crap when I finally did receive it. Yours looks much better than what I received. I ended up having to refinish the entire pod.
If I had a dollar for ever comment, like this, that I've read about Ortiz pods, I'd be rich LOL. Apparently they are crap.

I like OP's because they don't block any important into on the cluster. Very nice. As for taking your eyes off the road, that's just gauges and how they work. You're going to glance at them, from time to time, when you can; usually on a decent straightaway. No need to sit and stare at the constantly. I also have to take my eyes off the road to check mirrors, fuel, etc. It's not that bad.
Well done, OP.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
If I had a dollar for ever comment, like this, that I've read about Ortiz pods, I'd be rich LOL. Apparently they are crap.

I like OP's because they don't block any important into on the cluster. Very nice. As for taking your eyes off the road, that's just gauges and how they work. You're going to glance at them, from time to time, when you can; usually on a decent straightaway. No need to sit and stare at the constantly. I also have to take my eyes off the road to check mirrors, fuel, etc. It's not that bad.
Well done, OP.
I really couldn't sat if Ortiz is really that bad as I don't have any personal experience. However, reading a few reviews, it seems like a 50/50 type thing. Some say good, some say bad. My main thing was not wanting to wait nearly 3 months just for a gauge cluster. Then on top of that, I have also heard that if it is damaged and you want them to take care of it, it would be another month or two. Definitely not something I wanted to deal with.

Either way, thanks for your comment. It's basically the same design from Ortiz. And I agree, I don't even really just stare at the gauges all the time, but do glance at them from time to time just to make sure things are in check. I do plan to pick up an oil pressure gauge, and just for the hell of it, probably 2 more other gauges later on. So because of that, I'll plan on picking up an a-pillar and try to mess with that as well and see if I can make something off of that as well. Hopefully not too difficult, but I'll post pics of that as well later on whenever I decide to do that.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 06AznEvo
Thanks! For the primer, I just used any automotive high build primer I think from Duplicolor. As for the paint, I found a product from SEM that makes a black trim paint that is fairly close to the original. It's not 100%, but I would probably say is a good 95% perfect. You can really only notice when you get really close and just nit picking at it.
Can you be more specific, cause it sure matches good!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very cool. The first pictures had me worrying about how the final product will look but it came out great.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 05:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks sick. Much better than the rexpeed one that I have lol
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:01 PM

For not having any experience you did a damn good job. I think you might be under estimating your skills, you should try to make some money off of this. How long did it take you to make this? I might have read right by that detail, are you willing to make these for the members on the forum if so how much? Thanks for posting!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:34 AM

awesome job i wish ya had a video aswell
Old Jan 24, 2018, 03:10 PM

Wow, this might be one of the best things I have ever seen. I can't believe how good it came out. I think you have inspired me to try the same thing!
Old Jul 21, 2020, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After seeing your creation, I did a similar creation. In my case, I used 2" plastic electrical conduit. I used regular AEM gauges. The conduit needed to be reamed about 1/16" for the gauge to fit. I used 60 grit paper on a hole-saw to remove the material and cleaned it up with 160 grit. I cut my pieces at 1.5". I had to remove most of the posts to get it to fit.

I was careful in cutting to fit the conduit into pockets cut into the bezel. Go slow with material removal!. No filler was added, and the pieces were bonded with 5 minute epoxy. I waited until just before hardening to apply the epoxy to prevent run-through. It worked great, until it hardened too soon. So I had to make another batch to finish the bonding.There was no trimming or shaping required after the epoxy was applied. The gauges are angled for a typical seating position and are fully visible as seen in the picture. The same for the RPM and Speed.

Krylon flat black was used to paint the additions after masking off the remainder of the bezel.

The friction fit is strong enough to not require clamps, but weak enough to pop out the gauge when pushed from behind. There is just enough room to adjust the dash lighting, or you can remove the gauge to set it. I can also just push on the gauge as it just reaches the switch.

The steering wheel height adjust is not affected.

Last edited by iceberg; Jul 23, 2020 at 06:52 AM. Reason: better dash photo
The following users liked this post:
S Moorley (Aug 20, 2020)

Quick Reply: Making my own gauge cluster pods