Flex fuel - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Flex fuel

Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:25 AM

Flex fuel

Hi guys Iím new to this page. I just need some help on what Iím going to need to run flex fuel e85.

I was looking at this kit but what else am I going to need or does this kit have it all? https://www.maperformance.com/produc...8aAqPpEALw_wcB
Old Apr 11, 2018, 08:13 AM
EvoM Guru

To run true flex fuel where the ECU makes changes on the fly to different ethanol %, you also need a ethanol sensor setup.

DrivenFab makes one. Flexconverter makes one (I use that one). They are both Plug and Play.

Then you will need the Tephra XMOD V3 rom for your ECU to actually enable flex fuel tuning: http://www.tephra.it/v3/
Old Apr 11, 2018, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

A little OT but related question I have for those out there that do tune actual flex fuel. When your doing that are you cutting the E-85 with 87 octane? From what I remember Ethanol is mixed with low octane gas to formulate E-85 so thats what would make sense to me. I have no real world experience trying to do this though so I'd be interested to hear about how its done in practice.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks View Post
A little OT but related question I have for those out there that do tune actual flex fuel. When your doing that are you cutting the E-85 with 87 octane? From what I remember Ethanol is mixed with low octane gas to formulate E-85 so thats what would make sense to me. I have no real world experience trying to do this though so I'd be interested to hear about how its done in practice.
No, I use the highest grade available. So 91 or 93.
The Following User Says Thank You to razorlab For This Useful Post:
Biggiesacks (Apr 11, 2018)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
No, I use the highest grade available. So 91 or 93.
Is that a little CYA for the tuning process?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 02:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks View Post
Is that a little CYA for the tuning process?
No. It's because a Flex Fuel tune is creating a tune that runs from pump gas up to 85% ethanol, so I tune between pump gas that is put in the car (Premium) and the highest ethanol percentage put in the car (approx E80-E82)

For example, here in California it's going to be between 91 octane (E10) and E85 (approx E80).
The Following User Says Thank You to razorlab For This Useful Post:
Biggiesacks (Apr 11, 2018)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
No. It's because a Flex Fuel tune is creating a tune that runs from pump gas up to 85% ethanol, so I tune between pump gas that is put in the car (Premium) and the highest ethanol percentage put in the car (approx E80-E82)

For example, here in California it's going to be between 91 octane (E10) and E85 (approx E80).
That makes a lot of sense. That scenario probably happens pretty often for people going back and forth. Thanks for explaining.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: