Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My Evo survived a cross-country trip too.

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!
Old May 21, 2009, 07:30 AM

Nice MR!!
Old May 21, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vassili
wow, so the paint took some damage eh? how does the bottom rear corner of your rear doors look? it doesn't look like you have the aero package right? did they survive? and where on the hood did you get the chips? in front of the 2 front vents or somewhere behind it? trying to decide clearbra coverage.
Umm.. I didn't take a good look, but the bottoms of my doors didn't look bad. I'd be able to do a full inspection when it comes off of the dock. I didn't have much time to do inspections. As soon as the guy came to pick it up, I had just finished cleaning the hood, and had time to snap those few pictures lol. And nope, no Aero kit. They're not quite chips, but they're dings from rocks and such, and they're mainly forward of the vents, but there are a few behind it.

I was looking into a clearbra too :P I heard the 3M was the best to get?

@PinoyEvo: Well, I can't really give you a "seasoned driver's" review, but I can give you an initial reaction to it.

1. My biggest complaint is the lack of automatic seats. I know they're racing seats and all, but if your evo is more than just a track car, you'll be in an out fairly often. But I had a laugh with it; everyone who sat in those seats and complained, I came back with "less weight."

2. Since I'm larger in the thigh region, the high sides of the seats bothered me during long distance driving (1hr+). If you're skinny though, it shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and they're pretty uncomfortable to sleep in.

3. Fast. Yeah, it had a lot of go, I noticed it the most when I'm getting onto the interstate from the entrances. If there's someone going 75+ in the merge lane, I can be going 20 and still get in front of them without them having to slow down. I also noticed it a lot when passing a convoy of semis. Whenever I was passing a line of semis, I could just FLY past them with no effort at all.

4. The sport mode and super sport mode was amazing. As soon as I entered into sport mode, I felt it. Super sport even moreso. I never really drove in that mode, but I did test it out.

5. Whenever coasting (no pressure on the gas pedal), it seems to slow down faster than any other car I've driven. It was great for passing people and ending up behind someone because I didn't need to use the brake, but I feel like I'm wasting gas applying the slightest pressure to keep my speed constant.

6. Premium fuel (93 recommended by the manual). Expensive as hell, especially since I really only got about 300 miles per tank @ 22-24mpg. It cost around $30 to fill up (I fill up at 1/4 tank, so I'm not sucking up the junk into the engine), and that was at 200-250 miles. I really only used 91 because I couldn't find anywhere that had 93.

7. ASC is very amazing as well. Going downhill at 80-100mph (didn't notice it at the time lol) on the windy highway through Colorado seemed effortless. No body roll, no g's.. Didn't even get that "oh my god I'm going to die" feeling that I get on those kinds of roads at 60mph in the Jetta haha.

8. The window buttons aren't illuminated. =/ Less weight I guess /joke.

9. The Bluetooth system worked amazingly. Very easy to learn (once you read the manual), and it's very clear. I don't even have the tech package and it was amazing. I can't imagine how awesome it is with the nav system and RF sound system.

10. My uncle said "It looks like a ******* jet in here." Yeah, it's pretty damn stylish and sleek. I love it. The seat fabric is beautiful, almost to the point where I don't want to put seat covers on just so I can look at them lol. Only think I didn't like was the lack of fan (unless I missed it?). Sometimes I don't want AC and I don't want the windows down. Very disappointed in that =/

11. Rides a little stiff, but I like that. I like feeling the road.

12. Speed bumps and entrances to parking lots and stuff. I HAVE to angle otherwise I'll feel like i'm going to scrape something. I didn't see a speed bump and went over it at 20mph and scraped the rear bumper. I also encountered a particularly deep entrance to an arco gas station in San Diego, and even though I angled, I still scraped the front bumper. I can't imagine how hectic it is even with a 1" drop.

13. Small trunk. I know it's not meant to carry anything except you and your passengers, but I could fit one normal-sized suitcase and case of water in there =/

14. F.A.S.T.-key is awesome too. I mean, who doesn't look cool walking up to a locked car and opening the door? It's VERY convenient, especially if you're in a hurry or have your hands full. Only bad this is sometimes I take it out of my pocket, and accidentally left it in the car. I've come back to find my car was unlocked the whole time and ANYONE could've opened the door, started it up, and driven off.

15. The appearance of the evo is very sexy, sleek, and intimidating. Such a beautiful design. Props to Mitsu for designing another beautiful car.

16. More to come later, it's late :c
Old May 21, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

nice, you bought the MR at the dealership right down the street from me! It looked so nice sitting in the showroom when I went to go look at it.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Heh, I actually bought this on eBay. The person I bought it from bought it there only 3 months ago.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

I traveled from 29 Palms, CA to NY, and then from there to Quantico, VA. Its an awesome drive. Sounds like you did as well except for the abuse that your car took. I made my trip from CA to NY in about 32 hours. Didnt get that much abuse. But I learned that painters tape on the front of the car helps a lot. Will be utilizing that next time I make a long trip.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

That's a great Review!! Very honest and realistic!
Old May 21, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Man I wish I bought the 08 MR, insted of the gsr!!
Old May 21, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

you should have put blue painters tape all over the car. Hell I did that to my whole front end when I drove out of state to a car meet LOL
Old May 21, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

@ the blue painters tape: I didn't even think about it =/
Old May 22, 2009, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

meeoooooow.......... You guy's. I just drive it and don't worry about it. If It was a show car I wouldn't drive it cross country.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

DAMN! you came all the way to Hoodbridge to buy that Evo?!

I guess Malloy gave you some sort of deal...props on the cross country trip, I took one awhile back and took rt. 40 the whole way to SD.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:35 PM

that was fun!! just don't do it again so you won't get any dings and dents. hehehe

Last edited by ran.evo.x; May 22, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hittman
DAMN! you came all the way to Hoodbridge to buy that Evo?!

I guess Malloy gave you some sort of deal...props on the cross country trip, I took one awhile back and took rt. 40 the whole way to SD.
Yeah, I flew all the way over from Hawaii, but it was to pick it up from a private seller. eBay purchase
Old May 22, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

lol... if u have all that money to fly and buy a car so far away... y join the army???? I GOTTA tell u ur in for a surprise... this **** sux... i just came back from a deployment and i hope u dont have to go through what i went through... best of luck to u!!!

Quick Reply: My Evo survived a cross-country trip too.