Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo X vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have driven both, they are different cars at a different cost and you can tell right away.

Stock for stock the GTR will destroy the evo X. Upgraded the evoX will do alot better.

If you put the Cobb AP protune and downpipes and midpipes on the GTR you have a high 10 sec car trapping 130 mph. All with the stock catback exhaust.

I think for what you pay for the evo X you cannot beat it for value and potential.

Something to think about.

Sean

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Nov 30, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
$4500 < $5000 last time I checked.
Ahh, but you didn't just say it was less, did you? You said it was WAY less. I'm not doubting you could get all of that for $5000. You just seem to be a fan of exaggeration.

Why don't you ask the person that has owned both cars about the handling... he's already stated twice the handling is very similar.
That really doesn't tell me anything. Am I supposed to be surprised two sports cars with modern AWD systems feel similar?

With the evo X being driven by an amateur driver and the other two being driven by professional drivers. Not to mention a simple $250 tune would have made it a much different case.
The M3 was entered by a privateer just like the X was. And one of the "professional drivers" that smoked the X in the CTS-V is almost 80 years old.

Again, you're not getting the point. Even if the X beat the CTS-V and M3 in the wet, which it didn't come CLOSE to doing, the CTS-V and M3 are a LOT slower around a track than cars like the Z06 and 997 Turbo/GT3. And the GT-R HAS beaten those cars.

You can't prove that a tune would have made it a much different case. I somehow doubt that 30-40 HP extra would take over ten seconds off the Evo's laptime. But if that helps you sleep at night, hey, go ahead and believe that.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lest we forget that Ryan Gates' Evo X GSR swept his class this year, and low and behold, there were GTR's in his class... Modded ones...
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Why don't you ask the person that has owned both cars about the handling... he's already stated twice the handling is very similar.

I definitely feel that as far as what the cars are capable of doing in terms of getting around a corner, they are comparable. They have a very different feel, with the GT-R truly feeling like a RWD most of the time, but they are both precise, forgiving and do things that most cars simply can't do. That being said, the GT-R's handling coupled with it's power, the delivery of that power and the far superior chassis, make for a very different driving experience.

Above 100mph the gap widens as the GT-R hunkers down and feels as though it is literally slicing the wind. The GT-R is also crazy at how effectively it puts down power coming out of a turn.

To me, the two cars are really in a different class, but are both worthy of the praise they have received.

Last edited by Sleestack; Nov 30, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Olaboy808
Lest we forget that Ryan Gates' Evo X GSR swept his class this year, and low and behold, there were GTR's in his class... Modded ones...
Very noteworthy, but that could be contributed to a number of factors.

Personally, I don't consider the GT-R the best track car for a weekend warrior because of its weight and and the effect of that weight on the cost of maintenance. It also definitely prefers longer high speed course than short courses. I know quite a few GT-R owners definitely do a ton of tracking, but I would probably use my Evo for regular track use before my GT-R. Nevertheless, there are definitely guys starting to do great things on the track with the GT-R. Development costs and its only recent availability in the US have peple on that slow climb up the learning curve.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz
Ahh, but you didn't just say it was less, did you? You said it was WAY less. I'm not doubting you could get all of that for $5000. You just seem to be a fan of exaggeration.
You make it sound I was saying way less than 5k as being under 4k. If I was going to say that I would have said less than 4k. Interpret how you want. But the 4k is the sweet spot for those mods. In my world that means way less than 5k but more than 4k.

That really doesn't tell me anything. Am I supposed to be surprised two sports cars with modern AWD systems feel similar?
See poster above me.

The M3 was entered by a privateer just like the X was. And one of the "professional drivers" that smoked the X in the CTS-V is almost 80 years old.

Again, you're not getting the point. Even if the X beat the CTS-V and M3 in the wet, which it didn't come CLOSE to doing, the CTS-V and M3 are a LOT slower around a track than cars like the Z06 and 997 Turbo/GT3. And the GT-R HAS beaten those cars.
There were a number of factors wrong with that entire set up. Including a biased track, biased event, biased drivers, biased set ups (tires). That even shouldn't even have been brought up for any point. Look at car magazine's PCotY. Granted the GT-R wasn't entered for some reason But the FQ 400 smoked some very notable cars.

1. Noble M600 1:30.64
2. Lambo LP670 1:31.74
3. Corvette ZR-1 1:32.40
4. Audi R8 V10 1:33.34
5. Lambo Gallardo Balboni 1:34.28
6. Ferrari California 1:34.67
7. Aston Martin V12 Vantage 1:34.82
8. Mercedes E63 AMG 1:36.22
9. Mitsu Evo FQ400 1:36.64
10. Porsche Panamera Turbo 1:36.83

Though that is the FQ400 and is less power than what I'm talking with a evo x + the upgrades mentioned, it still did quite well against some very very fast super cars. I wish I had the list of the 30 cars entered. Again price : performance ratio is huge.

You can't prove that a tune would have made it a much different case. I somehow doubt that 30-40 HP extra would take over ten seconds off the Evo's laptime. But if that helps you sleep at night, hey, go ahead and believe that.
You're right, I can't prove it. But most tunes are much more than 40hp. Just my tune alone and a drop in filter netted me 85whp. That's a 25% increase in power for $300 (250 tune + 50 filter). That could have made a huge difference in the outcome if used by a notable driver. Not someone that has NEVER been on a track before.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice photos as I'd like to see both rides in person.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

There were a number of factors wrong with that entire set up. Including a biased track,
A track can't be biased. It's an inanimate stretch of road. Do you mean the Evo X wasn't particularly suited to that track? Because there's a big difference.

biased event,
Oh boy, who would think GM might want their car to WIN at a "May the best car win" press event? What a bunch of *******S.

biased drivers,
I'm starting to think you don't know what "biased" means. Are you implying GM's drivers were trying to beat the competition? Again, shocking! The reality is, everyone knew John Heinricy was going to wipe the floor with everyone else. What everyone didn't know was that Bob Lutz, who is 77, was going to DESTROY almost everyone else. If Jalopnik didn't think Wes Siler was capable of beating a guy born in the early 1930s, maybe they should have sent someone else?

biased set ups (tires).
No one told Mitsu to give the X the tires they chose to give it, least of all GM. Ever hear the expression "run what ya brung"?

But the FQ 400 smoked some very notable cars.

Though that is the FQ400 and is less power than what I'm talking with a evo x + the upgrades mentioned, it still did quite well against some very very fast super cars.
Are you telling me all the FQ400 has over the US-spec X is $5,000 of engine mods? Because if it does, I'm mightily impressed. Somehow I don't think that's the case, though.

You're right, I can't prove it. But most tunes are much more than 40hp. Just my tune alone and a drop in filter netted me 85whp. That's a 25% increase in power for $300 (250 tune + 50 filter)
That is impressive. I wish I gained close to that much when AMS tuned my IX. That said, the GT-R is turbo too. I bet it isn't too hard to get some extra power out of it without any additional mods either.

I don't feel like arguing about this anymore, so I'll just say I'm not trying to discredit how great the Evo is. I wouldn't drive one if I didn't think so. But gone are the days when a stock/stockish Evo is going to shame a supercar. And the GT-R's performance is just that: supercar territory. Maybe $10,000 in engine/suspension/brake mods would do it, I dunno. But it would take a lot more than just a Red and supporting mods.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz
A track can't be biased. It's an inanimate stretch of road. Do you mean the Evo X wasn't particularly suited to that track? Because there's a big difference.

Oh boy, who would think GM might want their car to WIN at a "May the best car win" press event? What a bunch of *******S.

I'm saying they picked a track that was better suited for their car vs other cars. GM was biased in them wanting to win their own event. They set all the other cars up for failure for the very beginning. didn't supply the Evo X, a local enthusiast did. It was 100% stock form. GM on the other hand spent time tuning their car for the event including different tires and different drivers. This is why this event means nothing.

I'm starting to think you don't know what "biased" means. Are you implying GM's drivers were trying to beat the competition? Again, shocking! The reality is, everyone knew John Heinricy was going to wipe the floor with everyone else. What everyone didn't know was that Bob Lutz, who is 77, was going to DESTROY almost everyone else. If Jalopnik didn't think Wes Siler was capable of beating a guy born in the early 1930s, maybe they should have sent someone else?
With all the advantages that GM set up from the very beginning, it was set up for failure. Again GM was biased from the very beginning with them setting up the whole event.

No one told Mitsu to give the X the tires they chose to give it, least of all GM. Ever hear the expression "run what ya brung"?
Again had nothing to do with this event. The Evo wasn't even supposed to be apart of this event in the first place until the other two manufacturers dropped out.

Are you telling me all the FQ400 has over the US-spec X is $5,000 of engine mods? Because if it does, I'm mightily impressed. Somehow I don't think that's the case, though.
I'm saying for power you can surpass the FQ400 in power for under $5,000.

That is impressive. I wish I gained close to that much when AMS tuned my IX. That said, the GT-R is turbo too. I bet it isn't too hard to get some extra power out of it without any additional mods either.
That is how much the Evo X is detuned from the factory. It's a rich pig that runs in the 9s. When we were tuning my X, the dynojet couldn't even read the air:fuel ratio because it was so bad.

I don't feel like arguing about this anymore, so I'll just say I'm not trying to discredit how great the Evo is. I wouldn't drive one if I didn't think so. But gone are the days when a stock/stockish Evo is going to shame a supercar. And the GT-R's performance is just that: supercar territory. Maybe $10,000 in engine/suspension/brake mods would do it, I dunno. But it would take a lot more than just a Red and supporting mods.
I never said anything about an Evo shaming a super car. I simply said it could keep up with one. And at the end of the day you're looking a HUGE price difference. Price : performance is no match between the two. I'm done arguing about it as well.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

You could go to Edmunds Inside Line. They've been doing mods to a Evo X GSR in the hopes of making it as fast as the GT-R. Here's the link. http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...cer-evoluti-1/

I'd say a couple weeks from now and they'll do some more track testing of the X. Unfortunately, they picked not so great bolt ons for the X that are not getting the desired results. So far, only a 12.3 1/4 mile with a new Garrett bolt on turbo. Not close to the GT-R yet.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bighec
At Mercy Hospital. Right by the lake in the back. Security guards are a pain in the *** though... I m going to look for some more places at work, and Downtown.
Aight cool. Let me kno wat u find. I'm dying to take some good pics.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsu didn't supply the car? Who's was it? Someone just happened to have a 2010 MR-Limited handy?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:07 PM

I am sorry as much as I like my EVO X MR. There is no way you can compare it to GTR. On top Gear test track GTR did in 1.19 someting. Even the mighty SLR is slower. Even the EVO VIII FQ400 did it in 1.24 and a bit. And I doubt that the new FQ400 will be 5 sec. faster. 5 sec. difference on a small track is a lot.
To make EVO X turn as fast as GTR you need to change a lot in suspension, coilovers, anti sway bars etc.
then, how many EVO X MR there are, which can do 1/4 mile in 11.6.(edmunds result)?? one, two.. and it is stock GTR time.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Those are 2 very nice and clean looking cars. the GT-R is definitely out of my price range for the time being. However as I'm sure others have said, I'll make due with just adding mods to my Evo X.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:22 PM

It's like darth vader and a storm trooper..

Quick Reply: Evo X vs GT-R