Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo X vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Like some ppl said you can't really compare the two because they are in different leagues and for different buyers. Just because they are both AWD and have twin clutch transmission doesn't mean they should be compared directly. The interior in the GTR is also a lot nicer in terms of quality (hard plastics, etc) than the Evo. We all love the Evo but the GTR is superior in many ways. If the GTR's parts were limited then it wouldn't be tunable and that is simply not the truth.

I will agree that it's more expensive car all around by like i said, it's in a different category vs the Evo. In any case if you don't have the money for maintenance then you shouldn't own either car. The Evo is a great bargain but with the money u spend on the Evo you put that same amount on the GTR and it still wouldn't match up.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by boondoc
^ Like some ppl said you can't really compare the two because they are in different leagues and for different buyers. Just because they are both AWD and have twin clutch transmission doesn't mean they should be compared directly. The interior in the GTR is also a lot nicer in terms of quality (hard plastics, etc) than the Evo. We all love the Evo but the GTR is superior in many ways. If the GTR's parts were limited then it wouldn't be tunable and that is simply not the truth.

I will agree that it's more expensive car all around by like i said, it's in a different category vs the Evo. In any case if you don't have the money for maintenance then you shouldn't own either car. The Evo is a great bargain but with the money u spend on the Evo you put that same amount on the GTR and it still wouldn't match up.
By limit I meant, to put car on the limit(psychical) of handling, stability and grip. Most of the parts on GTR, are made in such matter that they can take much more power(engine, chassis etc) expect only transmission which simply can't hold for long more power.

I have used my EVO X MR for over a year now. and amount of money I spend is so much smaller(except it costs almost 20% more) then the previews EVO IX. I don't know why but it is. and for amount of money edmunds spend on maintenance of GTR per month I am paying mortgage for big house.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 01:59 PM

i love both
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...mprobable.html

Someone else had the same idea
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPTourer
Yup, and look they used a GSR, weird I still say for anyone wanting to make power the GSR is the way to go and all the serious race teams agree.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
Yup, and look they used a GSR, weird I still say for anyone wanting to make power the GSR is the way to go and all the serious race teams agree.
I think it has more to do with cost and restrictions of various circuits. I don't think dct is at a point where it us cheap to work on nor cheap to develop parts for.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

I think in Edmunds case, it just happened to be their long term press car, not necessarily a tactical choice.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I think it has more to do with cost and restrictions of various circuits. I don't think dct is at a point where it us cheap to work on nor cheap to develop parts for.
Trying to modify an MR totally undermines our whole philosophy of being a bargain tuner car (when compared to full out sports cars). Unless you keep the MR stock tranny components, you mind as well of bought a nicer car. The MR already costs a lot more than the GSR and can't handle as much power. For being a race car all the teams see that for a base, the GSR is better. I am not saying it won't change, but for now the GSR wins this without contest. In the future there might be an argument.

It's just nice to finally see them do a test with the proper setup, a modified GSR.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Trying to modify an MR totally undermines our whole philosophy of being a bargain tuner car (when compared to full out sports cars). Unless you keep the MR stock tranny components, you mind as well of bought a nicer car. The MR already costs a lot more than the GSR and can't handle as much power. For being a race car all the teams see that for a base, the GSR is better. I am not saying it won't change, but for now the GSR wins this without contest. In the future there might be an argument.

It's just nice to finally see them do a test with the proper setup, a modified GSR.
I thought the Evo had evolved beyond just being a bargain tuner car.

I think race teams see the GSR as being a much more economical choice that is easier to tune. Some of them simply aren't allowed to use a DCT for their circuits.

I'm not sure why you need to keep stock components on the MR if cost isn't your primary consideration. Furthermore, you can always buy a different car, even in the case of the GSR, but I don't think most people who tune their cars think that way. I'm sure AMS didn't think that way when they dumped $200K into their GSR.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I'm sure AMS didn't think that way when they dumped $200K into their GSR.
And that's the thing. I don't know if they actually spent that much, but people are willing to spend that much on an Evo to make it into a time attack killer. I get so tired of the argument, "Well if you throw enough money at anything, it will be fast." When the TRUTH is, people who actually do that sort of thing will only pick the fastest cars to do it with and the Evo always seems to be among them. SO, no, the Evo is not just a bargain basement tunercar, its a world beater in the right hands.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

saying AMS dumped 200k into their GSR further proves my point though.

Money wasn't an issue and neither was fabrication or tuning. They used what they believed to be the best setup, the GSR, not the MR.

And I am not saying the Evo is a piece of crap, i love my car and think its awesome. I am saying people buy it because of it's tuning capabilities. For example: buy an evo, sink a few thousand into it and you are faster than so and so. With the MR you can't easily do this formula which is what most people buy the car for.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

saying AMS dumped 200k into their GSR further proves my point though.

Money wasn't an issue and neither was fabrication or tuning. They used what they believed to be the best setup, the GSR, not the MR.

And I am not saying the Evo is a piece of crap, i love my car and think its awesome. I am saying people buy it because of it's tuning capabilities. For example: buy an evo, sink a few thousand into it and you are faster than so and so. With the MR you can't easily do this formula which is what most people buy the car for.
I think AMS picked the GSR because it takes time to develop parts for a new transmission and they wanted to pump out a hyper-tuned x fast. It takes time to develop parts and programming for a dct and they were just not ready. Personally I'm finding the mr very easy and cheap to tune, but I'm also coming from a GT-R, where an exhaust can cost $8K.

I do however, understand your point. The GSR is cheaper and can be easily tuned without concerns of a pricey DCT to replace or fix, so for the purpose of building a track car that is easy and cheap to maintain and tune, the GSR is the better choice right now.

Last edited by Sleestack; Dec 21, 2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
And that's the thing. I don't know if they actually spent that much, but people are willing to spend that much on an Evo to make it into a time attack killer. I get so tired of the argument, "Well if you throw enough money at anything, it will be fast." When the TRUTH is, people who actually do that sort of thing will only pick the fastest cars to do it with and the Evo always seems to be among them. SO, no, the Evo is not just a bargain basement tunercar, its a world beater in the right hands.

I think that mentality of "anything can be made fast" applies to drag strips, but that's about it. For anything other than a straight line, starting with a car than has good handling characteristics is really important. I dumped over $100K in upgrades into a W208 Mercedes CLK trying to make it something it was never meant to be. I ended up with a 700hp deathtrap that continues to handle like crap.

Last edited by Sleestack; Dec 21, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Hell ya nice!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by madfast
i dont know why people love to compare hp numbers? if you look at that dyno HB posted, there is no way in hell you can match the tq curve of the GTR. it defies the laws of physics. 3.8L > 2.0L in any universe, at any time, in any known dimension...
Originally Posted by asusimpreza
lots of crack being smoked in this thread. Reminds me of the SRT4 kids, no matter how logical your point is....their cars are always the fastaar!

^Moral of the story:
Can't defy physics people....
Crack?!? It distorts reality. Some of you need an intervention.
The End.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs GT-R