Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Recommendations for cleaning supplies please.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recommendations for cleaning supplies please.

alright, well after years of going to the store and buying any and all products off the self from Advanced and local car parts stories, i'm feed up!!! none of these products seem to quite cut it. Throwing the old stuff out and starting over with your help.

I'm going to order
1) All purpose cleaner (Please recommend)
2) Iron remover (please recommend)
3) Bug and tar remover (Please recommend)
4) More aggressive clay bar (got one in mind)
5) Polish (Please recommend)
6) Trim clean / restorer (Please recommend, always get some wax on it, and it never cleans up quite right)
7) Tire Side wall shine (Please recommend)

wax, and wheel cleaner i'm happy with...

Let me know what you use and thinks works best. or what not to buy from the above 7 categories.

Last edited by SavageGSR; Mar 30, 2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added one more to the list
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I've only heard great things about Zaino products. Although I don't know if they make everything you need.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

I'm kinda liking the chemical guys products...? anyone with experience with these?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I pretty much use 100% Adam's products now, except wheel/tire cleaner. I have used and had no issues with Chemical Guys stuff in the past though. I use Sonax for wheel cleaner and can't see myself switching from that!
The following users liked this post:
EVOXFINEST (Jun 11, 2017)
Old Apr 1, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino FTW... Great luck with it!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 06:01 PM

Can't go wrong with Meguiar's.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

sadly i'm only now reading these, went on to buy a couple things on Friday:

1 C-2100 - Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive
1 CG-CWS-302 - 16 oz. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
1 DG-481 - Duragloss Wax Eraser #481
1 CP-15 - Iron X Iron Remover 500 ml. w/Sprayer
1 DJ-LL250 - 250 ml Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite Polish
1 DJ-BR250 - Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant Concentrate
1 DJ-SNTG500 - 500 ml. Dodo Juice Supernatural Tar & Glue

Changed my approach on the Trim cleaner, figured i'd best get the old wax off because all the others seem to just mask it.

Didn't do the all purpose cleaner rather bought the Chemical guys just straight up wash... Seemed like a lot of the others, shampoos, and cleaners all were multipurpose, i've the wash and wax from meguiar's like it fine, need just a cleaner.

little worried about the iron remover, obviously can't tell if the car needs it, seems like a good idea, figure i'll try a pannel, but think the clay bar is really what will be doing the cleaning and hope this one works better than other bars, that seem to have little to no effect.

I Like dodo juice's line, have their hybrid wax, really liked it figured i'd go with more of their stuff. so went with their lubricant for the wax, their polish (got the milder one they offer, trying to do the least removal seeing as the car is in good condition paint wise), and got their bug tar glue off.

so ended up mixing and matching from everybody, but sadly no zaino stuff, try that next time. and no adam's, heard nothing but good things about adam's, but wasn't carried by the website i bought everything else through, also maybe next time.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

dish soap
Old Apr 1, 2012, 09:44 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageGSR
sadly i'm only now reading these, went on to buy a couple things on Friday:

1 C-2100 - Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive
1 CG-CWS-302 - 16 oz. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
1 DG-481 - Duragloss Wax Eraser #481
1 CP-15 - Iron X Iron Remover 500 ml. w/Sprayer
1 DJ-LL250 - 250 ml Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite Polish
1 DJ-BR250 - Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant Concentrate
1 DJ-SNTG500 - 500 ml. Dodo Juice Supernatural Tar & Glue

Changed my approach on the Trim cleaner, figured i'd best get the old wax off because all the others seem to just mask it.

Didn't do the all purpose cleaner rather bought the Chemical guys just straight up wash... Seemed like a lot of the others, shampoos, and cleaners all were multipurpose, i've the wash and wax from meguiar's like it fine, need just a cleaner.

little worried about the iron remover, obviously can't tell if the car needs it, seems like a good idea, figure i'll try a pannel, but think the clay bar is really what will be doing the cleaning and hope this one works better than other bars, that seem to have little to no effect.

I Like dodo juice's line, have their hybrid wax, really liked it figured i'd go with more of their stuff. so went with their lubricant for the wax, their polish (got the milder one they offer, trying to do the least removal seeing as the car is in good condition paint wise), and got their bug tar glue off.

so ended up mixing and matching from everybody, but sadly no zaino stuff, try that next time. and no adam's, heard nothing but good things about adam's, but wasn't carried by the website i bought everything else through, also maybe next time.
You should have posted on the detailing forum. As you've already ordered, there isn't much that can be said other than the process being far more important than the product:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ces-newbs.html
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Anything from P21S blows all products I have used away.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
You should have posted on the detailing forum. As you've already ordered, there isn't much that can be said other than the process being far more important than the product:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ces-newbs.html
Thanks for the link. Figured the show and shine was as good a place as the detailing forum, my mistake. realize i was a bit impatient waiting for responses, figured, like you said the process is more important, and would like to think i didn't go way off the deep end with the choices i made for the products. figure i'll write a small review here when i've tried it all out.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

go to http://www.detailersdomain.com/
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SavageGSR
alright, well after years of going to the store and buying any and all products off the self from Advanced and local car parts stories, i'm feed up!!! none of these products seem to quite cut it. Throwing the old stuff out and starting over with your help.

I'm going to order
1) All purpose cleaner (Please recommend)
2) Iron remover (please recommend)
3) Bug and tar remover (Please recommend)
4) More aggressive clay bar (got one in mind)
5) Polish (Please recommend)
6) Trim clean / restorer (Please recommend, always get some wax on it, and it never cleans up quite right)
7) Tire Side wall shine (Please recommend)

wax, and wheel cleaner i'm happy with...

Let me know what you use and thinks works best. or what not to buy from the above 7 categories.
I know you already ordered, but here's my $.02:

Rule #1: If you can, order from Phil at Detailers Domain, he's the best!
Rule #2: As much as I like to use the same brand of products, no one makes the best of everything, so you are better off mixing it up.

1) P21s Total Auto Wash - amazing
2) no idea, never used it...
3) Hi-Temp Tar & Wax Remover
4) Clay Magic (I like the blue one) works great
5) Zaino ZPC is a great light polish, otherwise Menzerna is the polish of most pro's (I have the IP)
6) Black Wow works pretty well, but is a little greasy...
7) I love Optimum Tire Shine, easy on, no slop and lasts longer than most sprays

I have used Zaino products for my wax/sealant for years, and am very happy with them. not quite as rich as some of the high-end waxes, but they last so much longer. For wheel cleaner, P21s Wheel Cleaner Gel is great, but Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner is almost the same and way cheaper.

Other great products:
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Clear is a great strong car wash (not an every time wash)
1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium is my favorite interior cleaner
CD-2 Engine Detailer is great for cleaning up your engine bay
Porter Cable is a great "starter" orbital polisher
Pressure washers and foam cannons are just too much fun!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by starmax
I know you already ordered, but here's my $.02:

Rule #1: If you can, order from Phil at Detailers Domain, he's the best!
Rule #2: As much as I like to use the same brand of products, no one makes the best of everything, so you are better off mixing it up.

1) P21s Total Auto Wash - amazing
2) no idea, never used it...
3) Hi-Temp Tar & Wax Remover
4) Clay Magic (I like the blue one) works great
5) Zaino ZPC is a great light polish, otherwise Menzerna is the polish of most pro's (I have the IP)
6) Black Wow works pretty well, but is a little greasy...
7) I love Optimum Tire Shine, easy on, no slop and lasts longer than most sprays

I have used Zaino products for my wax/sealant for years, and am very happy with them. not quite as rich as some of the high-end waxes, but they last so much longer. For wheel cleaner, P21s Wheel Cleaner Gel is great, but Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner is almost the same and way cheaper.

Other great products:
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Clear is a great strong car wash (not an every time wash)
1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium is my favorite interior cleaner
CD-2 Engine Detailer is great for cleaning up your engine bay
Porter Cable is a great "starter" orbital polisher
Pressure washers and foam cannons are just too much fun!
Excellent, thanks for the info, I strayed away from using the car domain website just because they didn't seem to have that many different brands. I probably got caught up in the advertising and "look" of the website autogeeks that i ordered from. Definitely try out some of the products ya mentioned after i've gone through some of the ones i've bought. A little worried about the aggressive clay that i bought, still wishing someone else would give a little feed back on that one before i use it. the chemical guys car wash that i did get i don't plan on using frequently just as you said its strong, and i actually like the shampoo types a lot but when i'm gonna wax the car i'd really like something to do some good cleansing, rather than the shampoo that seems to do more massaging. haven't stepped up to buy a dual polisher yet...still doing it by hand. I'll get there just can't brake the bank buying all of it at once. realize its better when done properly with a machine, but not there just yet.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 04:43 AM

Autogeek.net has some pretty good prices, they usually throw free shipping at you (AGO in the comments on your order), and free samples for orders over $50 bucks. Most everything they stock is good, so you don't have to worry about ordering bad stuff.

1) All purpose cleaner - Don't have a good one yet
2) Iron remover -Same
3) Bug and tar remover - Safe Scrub bug and tar pad
4) More aggressive clay bar - I've only tried Meg's
5) Polish - Blackfire Gloss Enhancing
6) Trim clean / restorer- Ultima Tire and Trim guard plus. Expensive, but fantastic
7) Tire Side wall shine - Same

Quick Reply: Recommendations for cleaning supplies please.