Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Plastidip-What do you guys think about these pics?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not really a fan of the color (I like brighter orange) but the dip job looks good. I have my wheels done blaze yellow and they are a pita to keep clean
Old Dec 9, 2014, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarriedToSubaru
Yes you can technically do it in your driveway with a rattle can and no tape but it won't look good. You won't have a consistent, smooth coat and it will probably bubble in door handles and body lines. It doesn't cost that much to get it done correctly.
who said anything about cans, you do know the plasti dip specific sprayer gun is like $120 right
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fawkz
who said anything about cans, you do know the plasti dip specific sprayer gun is like $120 right
And it's junk. Pretty sure we are going to have to agree to disagree. Yes you can absolutely PlastiDip your car at home after watching a few YouTube videos, but it won't look nearly as good as it should if you get it done professionally and it's not ridiculously expensive to get done.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:26 AM

Looks like the pics are filtered? Not saying it looks bad but never have seen that kind of reflection off of plastidip. Love the color and looks like they did a nice job. Definitely more work to keep clean than a wrap. I say if you like it then leave it and get your moneys worth out of it. And glad you had it done right because believe me done wrong it does not just "peel off" I've had customers want their cars wrapped that had been plastidipped incorrectly
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GravityKnight
Looks really good. I plasti dipped some wheels and they are absolutely 100% dust magnets... have you noticed that happening with the car?
Yes! The whole car is a dust magnet. It sucks and can't just be wiped off like you can on smooth paint.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by krgdesigns
Looks like the pics are filtered? Not saying it looks bad but never have seen that kind of reflection off of plastidip. Love the color and looks like they did a nice job. Definitely more work to keep clean than a wrap. I say if you like it then leave it and get your moneys worth out of it. And glad you had it done right because believe me done wrong it does not just "peel off" I've had customers want their cars wrapped that had been plastidipped incorrectly
Ya man, the one pic that is taken from ground level was a professional pic taken and has a lens filter on and some lighting but the other two are just from a phone camera. Also, this plastidip is called candy-pearl and it shines like this in the sunlight. Also, plastidip is inconsistent thickness even when done professionally and there are a lot of small things I do not like but for someone who is just walking around my car and looking they might think it is a good idea to get it done mainly because it is cheaper than paint or vinyl.

My advice to everyone....Do not get your whole car professionally done and definitely do not do it yourself because in the end you might like it for a little while but it will eventually come off because you decided you do not like it. Now, if you are just doing rims or a small portion of something, go ahead but make sure to clean it pretty often.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

you can do super glossy PD

Plastidip-What do you guys think about these pics?-xwpcym2.jpg

Plastidip-What do you guys think about these pics?-09fqhpz.jpg

Last edited by Fawkz; Dec 15, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 05:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you can do super glossy PD

That looks awesome
Old Jan 6, 2015, 07:30 AM

Dahm thats super clean. Def like the orange but the last 2 a clean also
Old Jan 6, 2015, 07:46 AM

0_0 1300$ for a Temporary look... as good quality as it looks, you could have gained like 100-150 HP with 1300$ maybe more if your ballsy
Old Jan 6, 2015, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The orange look like burnt orange color that came on Nissan 350Z when the first came out. Very nice. Those two evos were Dipped by DYC on utube,right?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scopy
0_0 1300$ for a Temporary look... as good quality as it looks, you could have gained like 100-150 HP with 1300$ maybe more if your ballsy
Where do you get $1300 from?

I bought an entire kit with spray gun and all for less then $400. Even if you did chameleon or some pearl it would only be around $600 total.

If the $1300 is a shops quote to spray PD they are ripping you big time... there's 2 shops near me that do it and they charge 500-600 for an evo sized car
Old Jan 7, 2015, 05:50 AM

Where do you get $1300 from?

I bought an entire kit with spray gun and all for less then $400. Even if you did chameleon or some pearl it would only be around $600 total.

If the $1300 is a shops quote to spray PD they are ripping you big time... there's 2 shops near me that do it and they charge 500-600 for an evo sized car
"It was $1300" first page, post #8... helps to read the thread lol.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
not a fan of orange or plastic dip myself...

$1300... down payment for some Volks!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 01:19 PM

So, Basically most people are liking the way it looks. I think I will keep it on there for now or at least until summer.

scopy, I would have spent $1300 on engine mods or some type of power upgrade and now looking back I should have saved it to use towards what I really want to do next but I didn't. If you see my signature, you will see I already have power upgrades to the car, spent 17K on all of that. The next thing for me is a MAP 2.3L or something close to it and for all of that work it will be about 8K. So to be honest your suggestion of spending it on something else is what I should have done but just not on any engine upgrades. I am almost at 500hp to the wheels so I am ok....for now.

sil'vr, I seen the orange evo that DYC did online and that isn't my car. Looks very similar. They put that video up in this past September and I had my car done back in May. The guys at DYC found my car online and posted it to their FB page about 2 weeks after I got it done....Now they spray an orange evo and put up a vid, hmmm. Wonder where they got the idea, haha. The only thing is the one in the video has a slightly different color to it. It is color changing so it isn't a solid orange like mine.

Quick Reply: Plastidip-What do you guys think about these pics?