Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Continental, ExtremeContact SPORT tire review -with Motec Data (MotoIQ)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental, ExtremeContact SPORT tire review -with Motec Data (MotoIQ)

Hey guys,

Check out MotoIQ.com's tire test of the brand new Continental ExtremeContact SPORT -which debut earlier this month:

“Same level dry performance as a Michelin Pilot Super Sport”. That is a HUGE statement by Continental when the PSS is hands down the segment leading benchmark. Continental is extremely proud of their brand new ExtremeContact™ Sport tire that was just released earlier this month as a replacement for their ExtremeContact™ DW tire. We logged nearly a thousand miles on the new Sport in both the wet and dry, and put it up against the outgoing DW in a back to back test at Palm Beach International Raceway to see if it lives up to Continental’s claims.

In the article:

-In-depth analysis of the new (from the ground up) ExtremeContact Sport.
-Street review in the dry and wet.
-Track Test at Palm Beach International Raceway.
-Motec Data overlays back to back testing the Sport with the outgoing DW.
-Subjective Handling reviews.
-Deciphering Continental's product lineup.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...act-Sport.aspx

Enjoy!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That's cool the it has the "same" grip as the MPSS. Too bad the MPS4 is coming out soon...lol. It does look like a nice viable option if the price point is right though.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That's cool the it has the "same" grip as the MPSS. Too bad the MPS4 is coming out soon...lol. It does look like a nice viable option if the price point is right though.
The PS4S didn't increase dry grip. They reduced rolling resistance, increased tread life, and improved wet grip.

Since the ExtremeContact Sport increased tread life by 20% over the DW, improved wet weather grip over the DW (already slightly better than a PSS), and now has similar dry grip and steering response to the PSS, the PS4S and EC Sport are very similar in every category. The EC Sport is also less expensive and offered in smaller tire sizes for older performance cars.

Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Not what Michelin says:
"Michelin tells us that the PS4S will be available for consumers beginning in March. The plan on rolling out the 19-21 inch sizes initially then gradually spread to other common sizes for sports cars. 30,000 mile warranty is the same as the Pilot Super Sport. If the car has staggered tire sizes the warranty is half just as it was on the Pilot Super Sport."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/01/10/mi...oit-auto-show/

I'm not saying this new Conti is a bad tie, I'm sure it's great. I just think the new Mich will have it beat. And it will be up to the consumer if they want to pay the higher price point for the Mich to get that extra couple of percentage points in performance.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

The warranty is the same, but they increased the tread life of the compound which enabled them to use a shallower tread depth on some tires -which means a lighter tire that's better for performance. Talking to their engineers, the new design and compounding reduces rolling resistance and increases life, don't be surprised if the tires last slightly longer despite having the same warranty. I will be writing a review on the PS4S next.

Having tracked both, I think you'll find the PS4S and EC Sport will be so similar in every regard that their advantages and disadvantages require laboratory testing to quantify.

Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I'm in the camp where high end "Max Performance" tires don't really matter to me. I'm either gonna an "Extreme Performance" tire or something cheaper in the UHP class for a street car. MP class tires aren't sticky enough to justify the cost in my book, especially considering there's usually EP class tires that are cheaper.

edit:
all my "classing" follows Tire Racks tire classing