Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Excessive tire wear

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
What's your air pressure in those tires? Worn in the center like that, to me, indicates too much air...
keep it 3~5 psi below what the tire indicates. that's too much air pressure...
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by as2222
keep it 3~5 psi below what the tire indicates. that's too much air pressure...
What the tire indicates? That's usually the maximum pressure allowed by the tire. The recommended tire pressure found inside the car's door is a better guide than the tire's maximum pressure.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
What the tire indicates? That's usually the maximum pressure allowed by the tire. The recommended tire pressure found inside the car's door is a better guide than the tire's maximum pressure.
it is only if you have the stock tires
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by switchblade906
yup. all tires are not the same. The car's indication is specifically for the specs of the stock tires with the same size. Not all tires can hold the same PSI or is not recommended. Compare the stock recommended PSI to the max PSI the stock tires can hold and use that percentage on your new tires.

That should be the recommended PSI.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by switchblade906
That's why I said it is a "better guide" and not simply what you should inflate to. The number listed on the tire's sidewall is the maximum cold pressure the tire is rated to be able to withstand, and is not a recommended pressure. The maximum cold pressure on the stock tires is something like 50psi (can't remember without looking), but the recommended pressure is 32psi. Obviously, this is far short of the maximum pressure.

Usage varies, but setting the tire pressure at 3-5psi below the maximum the tire allows is probably over-inflated for typical duty for the vast majority of tire/size combinations.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Oct 28, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:26 PM

I just had alignment today, and we found the car rear toe was too much in, thats why the tires got totally weared out in so few time. I am working for an arrangement with the dealer tomorrow, they must admit they failed in alignment and that have ruined the rear tires. Too bad they refused to put the car in the toe machine only because of they were over confident.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 08:52 AM

Update: still no arrangment taken, dealer says tires have been abused also pretend tires are normally weared, here is pictures took by service manager, judge by yourself...

Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i usually have mine at 35-40 psi and that is still over inflated
Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Jammo, my tires look like that but I have almost 9k miles on there...mine is also on the back tires
Old Nov 2, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Something is definitely wrong here; the fronts, not the backs, should wear out much faster than the rears due to weight distribution and the fact that the front tires receive more directional stress than the rears.

Later, Ken
Old Nov 2, 2008, 03:20 PM

Thats nuts. I would go back to the dealer and get 4 new tires under warranty. Im a dealer tech for toyota, we have warrantied a few set of tires. They are usally bridgestones, they suck *****. Even at 15k we warranty them. Dont let them try and make YOU buy a set of tires at 8k thats just ridiculous.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Toe out will wear the insides of the tires. Toe in will wear the outsides of the tires.

Since the outsides are worn off and they ADMITTED to having too much toe-in, then it should be an open and shut case. How do they claim tire abuse when the fronts look ok?

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Nov 2, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by cchan3761
Hey Jammo, my tires look like that but I have almost 9k miles on there...mine is also on the back tires

Yup, you seems normal.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by quickgti18t
Thats nuts. I would go back to the dealer and get 4 new tires under warranty. Im a dealer tech for toyota, we have warrantied a few set of tires. They are usally bridgestones, they suck *****. Even at 15k we warranty them. Dont let them try and make YOU buy a set of tires at 8k thats just ridiculous.

First, they say tires are square, and refused to put the the car on toe machine, i think the mechanics who said that is ignorant.
Second, tires are not covered by the car's warranty. They are coverd by Yokohama's warranty.
Third, my car has only 2300kms when they took those pictures.
Fourth, i will not pay for new tires, at least two for rear.
Fifth, i went to an alignment center because i was doubting the car was right, and they find the car was 15/32 toe-in total in rear, front was ok.

Now i am waiting for an answer from my dealer, witch has a service manager unable to read the aligment report...
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Toe out will wear the insides of the tires. Toe in will wear the outsides of the tires.

Since the outsides are worn off and they ADMITTED to having too much toe-in, then it should be an open and shut case. How do they claim tire abuse when the fronts look ok?

I went to an alignment center, because the dealer refused to align it, we found the car has 15/32 total toe-in on rear wheels, front was border line but ok.

The dealer still do not admitt the car was wrong, because the service manager don't know how to read the alignment report, she's waiting to find the time to check it out with the mechanics (the one who said my car had rear tire square weared and the car was ok and refused to re-align it and told me to buy two new tires for rear....

They claim tire abuse because, well, they say i am probably using my car with asc off, on tarmac mode letting the center diff to put 70% of power to rear wheels.
i am NOT using my car with asc off, i am using my car as daily car with normal use of it, i rarely get over half of throttle and rarely get over 4000rpms. But imagine the service manager is believing on his mechanics, not me, with the first idea of the car was right. I think they are amateurs ingorants. Well they look like it.

I will not le it be like that.

Quick Reply: Excessive tire wear