Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Inexpensive, but good, tires?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
See, I've had nothing but problems with the Korean tires (Kuhmo especially). Poor wear and handling (on two different vehicles, so I guess I was a glutton for punishment).

Then again, I swore off Sumitomo's as well and they are who makes the Falkens. Ugh.
I wouldn't disagree with you. I've only had these Kumho tires for about 3K miles and so far they're great. But I did hear that they get pretty bad nearing the end of their life. Like the tire hydroplane a lot easier, and there's more road/tire noise.

I think my next tire will probably be the Yokohama S. Drive. On www.tirerack.com the price of the tire is about $160 and the review seems to be really good. Beside, I don't think you can go wrong with Yokohama tires.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hikaru
Really? Huh. I had the KDW on my evo viii 3 years ago. Maybe they dicontinued that size. That tire was reeeeeeeeeally good in the rain. Dry traction was ok for the street I guess.
Yea I think the orig. KDW's did come in the 235/45/17 but for some reason the new KDW 2's dont have that size...well at least at tire rack that is. I had the KDW's on my ws6 and loved them for dd and the bfg drag radials for race days and i couldnt have been happier with both tires. but the bfg g-force sports are in the same catagory as the kdw's and the reviews arent that much lower than the kdw's and they cost a lot less and are lighter. so the bfg g-force sports get my vote. i had the rt-615's on one of my other cars and the sports slap them in the face...just my .02
Old Sep 4, 2008, 05:49 PM

General Exclaim UHPs - had them on my 03 and 05 evo 8's They are the only zr rated tire with a snow rating...........I got them at tirerack Great tire
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to look at the sumitomo HTR+..they are around 108 or 120 a tire. I've heard very good things about this tire. Its a good all season. This is what I will be running with...can anyone back me on this claim?