Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Yokohama w drive or Dunlop wintersport m3

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yokohama w drive or Dunlop wintersport m3

Does anyone have any feedback on these tires.

I was at discount tire and they guy said they both are very good winter tires.

Yokohama is better in dry and wet according to them, and also a great tire for when it warms up, but it is not better in ice or icey roads

Dunlop is ok in dry and wet according to them, but better on ice or icey roads.

I live in Chicago and drive my Evo as a DD 38 miles each way to and from work. Any suggestions?

I tried to do a comparo on tirerack but it looks like they dont stock the Yoko W Drive so I was unable to see the data.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'll put in a word for the Wintersport M3s. I mounted a set and ran all winter, ran street tires that summer, ran the Dunlops another winter, figured on getting another set of rims for summer but didn't so ran the snows all summer, ran the next winter, was going for new tires and rims this summer but didn't, drove across country on vacation this summmer on the same snow tires and they still look great - plenty of tread. I'm ready for winter.

As for handling they are so so. I need to get some new road tires. But wearing out these Dunlops is proving impossible.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

I cannot speak from experience but have been reading up on winter tires lately, and found nothing but positive feedback on the Wintersport M3s/3Ds. The one thing that seems to separate them from the rest of the winter tires out there is how long they last. Most folks get 10-20k out of their winter tires, but these Dunlops seem to last 30-40k.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Go with the 3Ds. They're the updated version of the M3.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Bridgestone Blizzaks. I had the WS-50's and LOVED them. They were stable on dry road up to about 80 MPH, and then they would get kinda twitchy if you stood on the brakes. On snow and ice they are unbeatable. I literally got better traction in 3 inches of snow with the Blizzaks than I currently get with my summer tires in the rain.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.dunloptires.com/catalog/winterSport3D.html
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:03 AM

Well I just made up my mind I purchased the Yokohama W.Drives seems like a good fit... I also purchased a set of winter wheels from discounttire.com

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=Car%2FMinivan

The link above is for the winter wheels I ordered also.

Last edited by karlr; Oct 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

I get the vibe that you want to keep to the Yokohama line because your car originally came with them. Like you're partial and hoping that the Yokohama will win.

I'm a fan of the stock Advans that are on my car, to the extent that I'm running my fourth set since owning the car. I was partial myself. However, now that lightly used Advan A046s aren't prevelant anymore, the prospect of paying $1250 shipped for a new set on Tire Rack horrified me to the point of searching for an alternative. I discoverd Dunlop, in the process. Turns out the very new Direzza Z1 Star Spec is right up there with the Advans in the dry and perform better in the wet. Best part of all is its price. At Tire Rack, only $575 shipped!

It was this "summer" specialty tire that got me looking closely at Dunlop. Dunlop, along with Bridgestone, also supplies tires to Nissan for their R35 GT-R. Oddly enough, the LM-25s are the GT-R's oem winter tire. That's the only tire among the four that come stock on the GT-R that aren't made specifically for the GT-R. The two "summer" and the all season offerings are exclusive to the GT-R.

However, the LM25 is a few years older than Dunlop's less-than-a-year-old Winter Sport 3Ds. Technology improves over time. Why go with the old? I don't know why Nissan did. And I'm not saying that what Nissan does, we should do, too. I'm not. Next month, I'm opting for the newer (when compared to the LM-25) Dunlop Winter Sport 3D.

Are you going to have another set of rims specifically for your winter tires or do you plan on running your winters year round? If the latter, that would be a shame.

For the Evo, I prefer to have specialty tires, tires that do one thing very well. Because a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none tire does not befit the Evo's spectacular qualities at all. You'd be shortchanging yourself and your car if you went with a multi-purpose tire. For the love of God, don't do it!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
I get the vibe that you want to keep to the Yokohama line because your car originally came with them. Like you're partial and hoping that the Yokohama will win.

I'm a fan of the stock Advans that are on my car, to the extent that I'm running my fourth set since owning the car. I was partial myself. However, now that lightly used Advan A046s aren't prevelant anymore, the prospect of paying $1250 shipped for a new set on Tire Rack horrified me to the point of searching for an alternative. I discoverd Dunlop, in the process. Turns out the very new Direzza Z1 Star Spec is right up there with the Advans in the dry and perform better in the wet. Best part of all is its price. At Tire Rack, only $575 shipped!

It was this "summer" specialty tire that got me looking closely at Dunlop. Dunlop, along with Bridgestone, also supplies tires to Nissan for their R35 GT-R. Oddly enough, the LM-25s are the GT-R's oem winter tire. That's the only tire among the four that come stock on the GT-R that aren't made specifically for the GT-R. The two "summer" and the all season offerings are exclusive to the GT-R.

However, the LM25 is a few years older than Dunlop's less-than-a-year-old Winter Sport 3Ds. Technology improves over time. Why go with the old? I don't know why Nissan did. And I'm not saying that what Nissan does, we should do, too. I'm not. Next month, I'm opting for the newer (when compared to the LM-25) Dunlop Winter Sport 3D.

Are you going to have another set of rims specifically for your winter tires or do you plan on running your winters year round? If the latter, that would be a shame.

For the Evo, I prefer to have specialty tires, tires that do one thing very well. Because a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none tire does not befit the Evo's spectacular qualities at all. You'd be shortchanging yourself and your car if you went with a multi-purpose tire. For the love of God, don't do it!
actually i did not choose the yokohamas w.drives because they are oem brand with advans i choose them from the information i read on a couple of right ups from canadian drivers who say they are as good if not better then some nokians. i was almost ready to pull the trigger on the dunlops m3 but also talked to one of my acura techs at work and found out that he also has the w.drives and loves them. the w.drive is a winter tire that can withstand summer like driving. if you look them up they are rated with the snow logo on side of tire. which from my understanding means it a winter tire not a summer nor all season tire.

here is a link on the tires too
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/wdrive.pdf

I also did get a set of dedicated winter wheels i put the link in my last post above!

i also got them because we dont get snow every day here in chicago and these seem to be the best choice.

Last edited by karlr; Oct 27, 2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
I have the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on my X and the only gripe that I have is that there's really not much grip when cornering (on dry tarmac) but whos going to be racing when there's snow on the ground/or winter time anyway? With the crazy tread on the tires they might grip better in actual snow ......we'll see....

Last edited by MAS2377TECH; Oct 27, 2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: misspelled word...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i hope you got the $50 coupon online discount tire is offering when you buy a set of winter tires.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
I bought them from tire rack, I don't know if they had a rebate or not....I was just trying to hurry up and order some tires because it was supposed to snow over the weekend......I had them on the car by Friday, order was at the house in 3 days (tire rack is quick!!).
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
i hope you got the $50 coupon online discount tire is offering when you buy a set of winter tires.
i think i got a pretty nice deal. i got a 100 off coupon because i bought tires and wheels. the wheels were on closeout so got a killer price on them too. plus i used my discounttire card and got a 100 rebate for that and 0% for 12 months.

not to mention the good prices on the tires too!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Blizzaks=fail after the first half of tread is gone (that first half is great tho). I ordered the W from yoko as well-have not been a fan of Dunlops in MN winters here-its more snow/slush and cold then anything (Chicago has to be close to the same) and plowing is decent, but when a drift comes along, or you have to "punch" thru the side streets, the yoko's have worked for me in the past keeping the car stright.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had great luck with Dunlop's M3s on my Civic Si in Ohio winters. I've had them on two years now and they look brand new. I can't believe how slowly they're wearing. They're as good or better than the stock all-seasons that came on the Civic in the wet and dry, which is absurd. I was half-tempted to just leave them on all year.

On those strengths alone, I'll probably end up with a set of 3Ds for the Evo.

Quick Reply: Yokohama w drive or Dunlop wintersport m3