Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evolution MR Owners ... considering suspension options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mueller now has springs out for the X.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

I am shopping for springs for my MR. I love the suspension set up for its ride and handling quality but not a fan of the ride height. What do guys suggest for springs to get a great stance and keep the ride handling and quality. Eibach seem the obvious choice because they made the stock springs but I hear the swifts are great also.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
As some one who was average over 100 track days a year, do you really wonder if the car will see track duty? It will see light track duty, but nothing serious for a couple years. However I think I am going to go with Ohlins from AMS with cornerweighting and some bracing for the chassis. Also, I considering 15in brakes., and moving the Brembos to my 95 Cobra R.

Thanks all....
As an aside, how the HELL did you manage to average over 100 track days per year?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
As an aside, how the HELL did you manage to average over 100 track days per year?
About every weekend, and I did a couple weeks of track horing .. where I rented the tracks myself. It is alot more affordable than you think to be honest. i would get 5 or ten folks I trusted, and we could usually do a day for less than 100 bucks with no insurance ... which is why I said you have to trust the folks you ask out.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:22 AM

I went with the Eibach Pro Kit.... I am very happy with it. The MR comes with Eibachs already so I figure they were obiously chosen for a reason..... Car handles very good. I ended up getting lucky since Eibach used my MR as their test vehicle for their pro kit... So they installed it... and align it as well... shyt handles nice..
Old May 3, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Does robispec ship the KWs with a generic setup/settings on them or do you have to go to their shop to get it all done?

I see they have them on their site for $2400, but I've been quoted up to $500 less than that from vendors on this forum.
Old May 3, 2009, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

100 track days in NC are your an Earnhardt.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flyguycfi
Does robispec ship the KWs with a generic setup/settings on them or do you have to go to their shop to get it all done?

I see they have them on their site for $2400, but I've been quoted up to $500 less than that from vendors on this forum.
I'm sure you can call Robi and they can help you with settings and such if you're not able to have him set it up personally.

The prices you've been quoted ($1900 for V3's) are FAR below what KW allows their kits to be sold at.

First of all....that pisses me off. We value our relationship with KW, we've been working with them for many years now. We know how to help a customer set-up a 2 way coilover (not a walk in the park) and we can help a customer work through install issues, help source replacement parts rapidly (and keep many in stock), and help set up the complete coilover system. Robi can do all the same, which is why I don't feel upset when someone gets their KW's from him. It's nothing knew, but we work hard, and we don't break the rules like that.

Second of all....I get PMs all the time from people who buy KW's from the several vendors on here dumping them far below KW minimum allowed prices. These vendors are of course CLUELESS on how to set them up, much less how to work through possible issues with them.

So when i get PMs asking for damper settings or alignment specs from someone i know bought them for dirt cheap from someone else, i just have to laugh. I'll answer if i'm in a really good mood, or if i know they got them used, or they're overseas, but usually i just tell them to ask the vendor they bough them from.

Bottom line....when spending around 2k for a complicated suspension system, do you want to get it from some dude doing the equivalent of selling it out of the back of his truck for dirt cheap with no knowledge of how it works, or do you want to get it from someone who can walk you through setting them up over the phone or in person? Someone who can diagnose a problem and get you replacement parts fast and cheap, or someone you can call on a Saturday when you're at the track and trying to get the car set-up for a rainy event.

Sorry for the rant....and not calling you out in particular or anything. I like helping people, especially when it comes to suspension. My recommendation is to get the Robi KW's. He can work with you for your needs.

- Andrew
Old May 3, 2009, 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I'm sure you can call Robi and they can help you with settings and such if you're not able to have him set it up personally.

The prices you've been quoted ($1900 for V3's) are FAR below what KW allows their kits to be sold at.

First of all....that pisses me off. We value our relationship with KW, we've been working with them for many years now. We know how to help a customer set-up a 2 way coilover (not a walk in the park) and we can help a customer work through install issues, help source replacement parts rapidly (and keep many in stock), and help set up the complete coilover system. Robi can do all the same, which is why I don't feel upset when someone gets their KW's from him. It's nothing knew, but we work hard, and we don't break the rules like that.

Second of all....I get PMs all the time from people who buy KW's from the several vendors on here dumping them far below KW minimum allowed prices. These vendors are of course CLUELESS on how to set them up, much less how to work through possible issues with them.

So when i get PMs asking for damper settings or alignment specs from someone i know bought them for dirt cheap from someone else, i just have to laugh. I'll answer if i'm in a really good mood, or if i know they got them used, or they're overseas, but usually i just tell them to ask the vendor they bough them from.

Bottom line....when spending around 2k for a complicated suspension system, do you want to get it from some dude doing the equivalent of selling it out of the back of his truck for dirt cheap with no knowledge of how it works, or do you want to get it from someone who can walk you through setting them up over the phone or in person? Someone who can diagnose a problem and get you replacement parts fast and cheap, or someone you can call on a Saturday when you're at the track and trying to get the car set-up for a rainy event.

Sorry for the rant....and not calling you out in particular or anything. I like helping people, especially when it comes to suspension. My recommendation is to get the Robi KW's. He can work with you for your needs.

- Andrew

I have them on my Time attack car!! (robi's Clubsports)
they are PERFECT on the street and a Joy on the track

You cannot go wrong !!

mine are for sale, if anyone wants them, im upgrading to a full race shock.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks all for the good comments. I am on the fence right now ... my considerations are ...

Ohlins, JRZ (from AMS) or KW Variant 3 (Robi). I have to be honest, the guys from AMS have never steered me wrong, so I will probably end up with either the JRZ or the Ohlins, with Justin doing the setup from AMS (he setup Martins' cars). Not taking anything away from Robi, I know he has skill, but the guys from Chi-town have taken good care of me .. and I want to give them my business where I can.