Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

brake dust

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No matter what you're going to have to clean the rims I was thinking about going as far as clear bra spraying my Gramlights (but it might not settle due to it not being a flat surface) - combine that with some pads that produce less brake dust you might not have to wash your wheels ever again Well at least until the next car wash........
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:28 PM

price please

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
We'll have an EVO X Specific Magic Pads in the near future. No date set but we are working on it. We also have a new and improved Pad Adapter that no longer has squeaking problems for those on the street and is much more resilient to heat for those using them at the track.
what is (will) be the price for front and rear brake pad ????

thanks a lot

stef
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Stock pads do suck, I am still running them, been lazy. I washed the car Friday late night (10:30PM) and went first thing Sunday to pick up a female for a photoshoot with the car. I even went as far as staying far back in traffic to avoid using the brakes as much as possible. by the time I got to her place, had to wipe down the wheels again.

Getting a new custom exhaust next Saturday, may throw on some Hawk pads (for the front) since the shop has them in stock. I know the last time on the EVO IX, the rear stock pads get dirty but nothing like the fronts. With the Hawk pads, the front was cleaner after two weeks than the rear with stockers....

*****EDIT*****
update on kraggen
I wouldn't go off of anything regarding brake pads on their site. I went to check out another pad and their site sells the lancer regular pads as evo pads as well. I sent an email again to their corporate telling them I wasted 50 bucks last time for an installer when they sold me the wrong pads, there reply to check the new pads is that their site isn't wrong. They told me that I just have the "optional Brembo" for the EVO?!?!?!

Last edited by slo4g63; Jul 27, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hawk pads are not the solution to your problem re:dusting.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

They worked well on my last evo...
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Got the hawk pads on the fronts now. Working great, with stock pads, I get about 30 miles away from washing wheels and can already notice the dust building up. With these, I could go a couple weeks without to much build up. But end up washing the car every week anyway.

The stock rear pads put out significantly more dust than Hawk pads up front.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
What I meant was that if you for say put a hot track pad with a high friction coefficient in the front only and put a street pad in the rear or leave it stock which has a much lower friction coefficient the balance of braking power will shift more to the front. The Bias of your brakes will be off and the Yaw control system can't adapt to this so it could be thrown off.

Also by having even two different types of pads in the car can mess with the brake bias because some pads have better cold bite then others and if you rear pads bite faster then your front pads you could though the cars balance off and the yaw control will try to correct it which could make your car difficult to control. Most people that track regularly will experiment with different pads to come up with a system that works best for them.

For a street car sticking with the same pads front and rear is best, using a higher performance pad then stock is safe and will not mess up the yaw control because most street pads are not hot enough to throw the yaw control out of its operational range. Every system has adaptability because they know that people will put non-OE pads in there car for increase performance. You can though mild performance pads in the front but never do it only in the rear. Magic Pads, Hawk HPS, Project Mu NS are mild enough to run with stock rear pads but more performance oriented pads like Axxis Ultimates, Hawk HPS, Ferodo DS2500 are going to through your bias off and while it may not effect you driving around town, taking a turn at double the suggested speed on a mountain pass where the yaw control will start to take over is not the place you want find out.
This is completely true, and it also stands for tire/wheel diameter changes, tire changes, and even vehicle weight (anything that effects brake torque) the systems are tuned for the OEM setup, same as ABS/TCS/VSA functions..... of course as always there is a tolerance for all these types of levels.

In addition for clarification, brake 'dust' can indeed ruin wheels, it just depends (not claiming OEM dust will destroy your wheels)... but depending on friction compound and the heat characteristic of the friction when it hits your wheels it can discolor and imbed inside the actual wheel material.......The friction can also eat your disks which also imbed on your wheels.....usually this is with very aggressive friction.....

case in point: my buddy was a designer for PFC for few yrs, so he threw my other buddy some PFC disks and aggressive friction for his upcoming track day on this M-coupe because he 'wanted his eyes to bug out'.... well bug out they did, but the friction ate the disks and destroyed his ASA wheels on the track