Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

HKS Hipermax III

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HKS Hipermax III

The Hipermax III, Hipermax III Sport and Hipermax CLX is now available in North America through Authorized HKS Dealers and HKS Certified Pro Dealers. The HKS Hipermax III suspension line is backed by a 1 year limited warranty.

Drawing upon more than 35 years of experience building high-performance equipment for the world's most discriminating drivers, HKS is the premier manufacturer of automotive performance systems. The Hipermax III line is available in three series, all specifically tuned for North American driving conditions: The Hipermax III series strikes a balance of track performance and a smooth ride. Hipermax III Sport is tuned for serious track performance. And the Hipermax III CLX series is designed for luxury cars to seamlessly blend fantastic handling and feedback with a smooth ride, even on less-than-smooth pavement.

HIPERMAX III
Series Concept: Designed and tuned for street application / daily driving.
With the Hipermax III suspension series, the driver gains increased wheel control with improved performance of all vehicle dynamics and increased driver command in all conditions. Hipermax III combines track-quality control with excellent ride and handling characteristics at real-world street speeds. HKS' all-new Hiper Linear Piston Fluid Channel System damping system creates a positive relationship between piston speed and damping force, making it possible to produce a suspension that provides track-level control and feedback with exceptional ride quality at the same time.

In addition, the Hipermax III is shock-body adjustable (most applications) to allow vehicle height adjustment without affecting spring rate and piston stroke. With the Hipermax III’s range of adjustability, precise corner balancing can be achieved. Chrome-plated cylinder shafts provide excellent durability and newly-design rubber upper mounts reduce harshness. (For most applications, optional spherical bearing mounts are also available for enhanced steering feedback.)
Key Features:
• Hiper Linear Piston – Linear progression piston adjusts oil passages for precise stroke management resulting in smoother valve movements. As piston speed increases, dampening rate linearly increases.
• Strengthened rubber upper mounts – enhanced durability
• Monotube design
• Shock-body length adjustable (most applications)
• 65mm diameter springs – Cold wound and manufactured in-house at HKS to ensure quality and consistency
• Stainless lock nut & ride height adjuster – feature anti-rust & corrosion characteristics for enhanced durability.
• 30-way adjustable dampening
• Hard chrome-plated cylinder shaft
• Non-electrolysis Nickel plated shock bodies provide durability in severe weather conditions.
• Pillowball upper mounts optional on certain applications
• Dustboots standard
• 1 year limited warranty

HIPERMAX III SPORT
Series Concept: Designed and tuned for competition / track.
The Hipermax III Sport series has firmer spring rates and valving to take advantage of the smoother, more consistent pavement of race tracks allowing quicker, more precise transient response and instant direction changes necessary in competition. In addition, the Hipermax III Sport incorporates HKS' all-new Hiper Linear Piston fluid-channel system, shock-body length adjustability (most applications) and ultra-thick chrome plating of the cylinder shaft for excellent durability and reduced stiction (static friction). Spherical bearings, for precise steering and feedback, are standard - but reinforced, rubber upper mounts are available for those seeking reduced vibration from less-than-smooth pavement.
Key Features:
• Hiper Linear Piston – Linear progression piston adjusts oil passages for precise stroke management resulting in smoother valve movements.. As piston speed increases, dampening rate linearly increases.
• Pillowball upper mounts standard
• Monotube design
• Shock-body length adjustable (most applications)
• 65mm diameter springs - Cold wound and manufactured in-house at HKS to ensure quality and consistency
• Lightweight Aluminum lock nut & ride height adjuster
• Hard chrome-plated cylinder shaft
• Non-electrolysis Nickel plated shock bodies provide durability in severe weather conditions.
• Dustboots standard
• 1 year limited warranty

HKS has one of the fastest evo on its class : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9SVYfvEj8

Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
just dont take it to gravel as you avatar shows
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
just dont take it to gravel as you avatar shows
Actually that is the reason holding me back to not buy coilovers, In other hand i have really bad handling on tarmac but awesome on gravel
I'll start off sway bar and white-line kit.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

So has anyone experience with HKS coilovers in real world?
Some info will be appreciate.

Last edited by Hassan!; Feb 11, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:55 PM

im interested in these coils but need some more reviews...As for DD
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HKS
HKS' all-new Hiper Linear Piston Fluid Channel System damping system creates a positive relationship between piston speed and damping force.
As opposed to a negative relationship? Of course it's a positive relationship...a shock absorber that had less damping force for more piston speed would be hilarious.

Originally Posted by HKS
In addition, the Hipermax III is shock-body adjustable (most applications) to allow vehicle height adjustment without affecting spring rate and piston stroke.
Preload does not alter spring rate, and silly advertisements like this keep spreading misinformation.

Originally Posted by HKS
Key Features:
• Hiper Linear Piston – Linear progression piston adjusts oil passages for precise stroke management resulting in smoother valve movements. As piston speed increases, dampening rate linearly increases.
Rarely do you hear of linear damping being a "feature."

Thsoe are my thoughts on what I see here.

I'll be 100% honest, I generally don't like JDM coilovers, but I always thought HKS was one of the best of them. Maybe they are, but whoever wrote that ad has no idea what's going on.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 11, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

okay my tone was a little harsh there.

1. All vehicle shocks (that i can think of) have a positive relationship between piston speed and damping force. A bigger bump means more piston speed, and you need more damping force to....well....damp that motion. Every shock does this.

2. Dual height adjustable coilovers do not alter spring preload....this is a good thing. But preload does not mean spring rate, unless you are using a progressive spring, which these aren't.

3. Linear damping is basic type of damping. There is a linear relationship between damping force piston speed and in this case the shock dyno would look like a straight line angled at maybe a 15 to 45 degree angle. Generally this means too little low speed damping (handling) and too much high speed damping (ride quality over bumps) depending on the slope of that line. It could also mean too much low speed and way too much high speed.

Digressive valving starts off at a higher slope but tapers off....it's always increasing but its increasing at a much slower rate past a certain "knee" point. So you have a good amount of low speed damping (good handling) without too much high speed damping (ride quality and say handling over a bumpy track). This is generally the most desirable type of shock dyno curve, though there are a lot of details to sweat over.

Progressive damping means the slope of the line gets progressively steeper and steeper...and this shocks go from way too slow to way too stiff as you go from low speed to high speed piston movement. Generally these are not ideal, but a digressive curve that switches to progressive at the very end may be desirable in some cases.

Just thought i would explain myself and a little behind what they're saying....I've always though HKS were better than other JDM (and definitely chinese) coilovers but wanted to point out a few things.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 11, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

I am running the Hipermax 3s. There is another thread with more information.

It works very well. I daily drive my car and have done quite a few track days and autocross events.

Hipermax 3 has rubber upper mounts to reduce road noise and ensure no clunking from pillowball mounts. This was a big selling point for me. The only other set ups that have this requires you to re-use the stock upper mounts. The HKS comes built in and ready to bolt on. Easy installation. The Hipermax 3 Sport has pillowball mounts and a much more aggressive spring rate.

I have run Ohlins DFV in my previous Evo and these can not compare. The DFV had the most comfortable ride and handling I have ever had before. The dampening on the HKS is linear which means you generally don't feel small bumps and large bumps are sharp. As you crank up the dampening it feels a bit overdamped for the given spring rate and a stiff ride over all surfaces. These things seem built to handle higher spring rates than the ones it comes with.

Compared to the Robispec KW Street on Evo X (which I have driven) it does not feel much different - the ride over bumps is similar. Cornering is flatter in the Robispec set up though.

Compared to BC Racing and Megan Racing which I ran in my previous Evo, the HKS is heads and shoulders better.

Last edited by ZK; Feb 11, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anybody have pics with these bad boys on?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Question

Andrew what is the different between HKS HIPERMAX III SPORT SPEC and regular Sport?

Sport Spec: ¥ 297,150
  1. http://translate.google.com/translat...04&sl=ja&tl=en
  2. http://translate.googleusercontent.c...ikKH4oKwlswuHw

Regular Sport: ¥ 249,900
  1. http://translate.googleusercontent.c...iwpJcs7ttQYKhg

Last edited by Hassan!; Feb 18, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hassan!

Andrew what is the different between HKS HIPERMAX III SPORT SPEC and regular Sport?

Sport Spec: ¥ 297,150
  1. http://translate.google.com/translat...04&sl=ja&tl=en
  2. http://translate.googleusercontent.c...ikKH4oKwlswuHw

Regular Sport: ¥ 249,900
  1. http://translate.googleusercontent.c...iwpJcs7ttQYKhg
I know the CZ200S is the HKS Evo 10 project car. The first link is the same set up they run on that car available to the public. Basically it is a tuned Time Attack version of the regular Sport. Seeing as the CZ200S is a track car, this suspension set up would be to set lap times and less streetable than the regular Sport. Nobuteru Taniguchi set some pretty fast lap times in that car. The step by step entire car build up from stock to tuned track car you can see on HKS.TV web site. http://www.hks-tv.com/

I have no idea what the 09 Sport is but I'd assume it is similar to the CZ200S version.

Here is the Hipermax 3 I am running:

Last edited by ZK; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

They still run spring rates that are too stiff in front and too soft in the rear.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:06 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Well, HKS has been tuning cars for nearly 40 years and the their "street class" Evo 10 has set a track record on street tires at Tsukuba Circuit. That must mean something.

Faster than any stock car run there:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track3.html

Last edited by ZK; Feb 19, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

edited.

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 19, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone needs to translate those evo x video in hkstv , so many new videos from them regarding the evo x