Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

All-Season tires SUCK (it's a constructive post however)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hassan!
EVO X RallyCross @ Water-Ski pond, I have Michelin pilot all season sport a/s plus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_5Fe905z4
You just proved my point, thank you. That grip is just awful and that's exactly what I was talking about. And at the end of the movie where you tried to get the car in the drift, it just went straight forward with 0 grip.

And the way you drifted there, you did it at 17 miles per hour, on summer tires you would have been able to do it at 12 miles per hour while on snow tires you could have done it at at least 30.

The real difference would have shown however if there was less ice and more snow. Cause ice is still ice and no tire can have any "good" kid of grip on it, there's only different types of bad grip.

Oh and here's a movie how the car on snow tires DOES handle on snow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVwm...eature=related (yes it's an evo 9 and no it's not a professional driver driving it)

Edit: This is how an Evo on snow tires does handle on snow tires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVwm...eature=related (it's a 9 but you get the point)

Last edited by Toxin; Feb 2, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do admit that sliding on slick surfaces and without a lot of traction is a BLAST with the X.

But with these yoko A/S tires I can get it to that on dry asphalt with sufficient speed that the OEM tires can hold without even straining. There are also those days that all season tires (that suck) do have some fun to offer if ya wanna slide some.

And learning what the car does when it slides is important. Momentum, balance, how much input of steering and brakes to apply... all good to know, and learning that at a lower speed when your traction gives out is safer than learning those extremes at a higher speed. Just something I've been thinking about. The glass can be 1/2 full.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

I have a set of Goodyear all seasons and they suck big time in the snow. I'm scared to even drive the thing in the snow. This is the first time that I decided to go with all seasons in the winter. Never Again!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I am assuming that's ice under there huh? That's pretty good stuff. What size tires are you using?
Solid ice, It is stock size tire mate. 90,000 km warranty!

Originally Posted by Toxin
You just proved my point, thank you. That grip is just awful and that's exactly what I was talking about. And at the end of the movie where you tried to get the car in the drift, it just went straight forward with 0 grip.

And the way you drifted there, you did it at 17 miles per hour, on summer tires you would have been able to do it at 12 miles per hour while on snow tires you could have done it at at least 30.

The real difference would have shown however if there was less ice and more snow. Cause ice is still ice and no tire can have any "good" kid of grip on it, there's only different types of bad grip.

Oh and here's a movie how the car on snow tires DOES handle on snow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVwm...eature=related (yes it's an evo 9 and no it's not a professional driver driving it)

Edit: This is how an Evo on snow tires does handle on snow tires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVwm...eature=related (it's a 9 but you get the point)
I didn't say they are the best or the worst but compare to stock summer tire still lot different.
If it was summer tire i would crashed my car that day so bad, Do you know why?
The temperature was -25C
And if i had the extra money i would for sure buy the extra rims and winter tires

Last edited by Hassan!; Feb 2, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
I do admit that sliding on slick surfaces and without a lot of traction is a BLAST with the X.

But with these yoko A/S tires I can get it to that on dry asphalt with sufficient speed that the OEM tires can hold without even straining. There are also those days that all season tires (that suck) do have some fun to offer if ya wanna slide some.

And learning what the car does when it slides is important. Momentum, balance, how much input of steering and brakes to apply... all good to know, and learning that at a lower speed when your traction gives out is safer than learning those extremes at a higher speed. Just something I've been thinking about. The glass can be 1/2 full.
Nice mate this is exactly what i was doing that day, i was 1 hour on that track and trying to learn the evo, How early to break and how different setting Tarmac Gravel or snow would work on this condition. Even trying traction control off or completely off (Hold 3 sec) Which i surprise that the traction off off was almost not possible to drive
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Even trying traction control off or completely off (Hold 3 sec) Which i surprise that the traction off off was almost not possible to drive
I'm actually trying to figure out if there's a way to permanently disable ASC... I hate it. It's like someone took control of your pedals when you least want it to. The first thing I do when I sit in the car is buckle up, after that it's 3 sec asc off.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

neutral all-seasons (as opposed to performance-bias all-seasons) are good for us during the winter in WA because you don't know what you'll get from one winter to the next, but you will certainly get rain at some point.

All-seasons typically perform better in the wet than dedicated snow tires. As an example of not knowing what to expect, I haven't bothered changing from my summer tires; I think it was in the mid-50's and sunny today!

Last edited by yahu; Feb 3, 2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run Conti-extreme contacts...I haven't slipped or got stuck once. I did notice the difference in cornering switching to the all-seasons..but..I have yet to run a winter tire on this car. I think it depends on the brand of tire friend ...Sorry you had a bad experience...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't tried All Season tires on the Evo as I don't drive it much but I've been satisfied with these two on my other cars (Mirage & Accord).

Yokohama AVID H4S
Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position

This tire I didn't care for at all as the sidewalls were too soft; at least on my Mirage which rode on Eibach Pro Kit and KYB AGX. I returned them the same day I got them because I noticed the difference immediately.
BF Goodrich Traction T/A

I don't really remember right now but I may have the BF Goodrich Traction T/A on the Accord right now. They feel decent on the Accord riding on Tein H and Koni STR-T.

We don't have to worry about snow so that makes a difference with my experience.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Nice mate this is exactly what i was doing that day, i was 1 hour on that track and trying to learn the evo, How early to break and how different setting Tarmac Gravel or snow would work on this condition. Even trying traction control off or completely off (Hold 3 sec) Which i surprise that the traction off off was almost not possible to drive
That Off-Off setting almost let me bump into a concrete wall at the track. Fourth gear, perfect track day, great tire conditions (summer Z1s) and with that setting it let my ***-end come around on shift from 3rd to 4th. I'd agree, for me, 'off-off' is not as drivable as I would have anticipated.

I wonder if its the Rear differential and that steer-by-wire feature that the car has that distributes force in the rear based on how far the steering wheel is turned in a direction.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

That Off-Off setting almost let me bump into a concrete wall at the track. Fourth gear, perfect track day, great tire conditions (summer Z1s) and with that setting it let my ***-end come around on shift from 3rd to 4th. I'd agree, for me, 'off-off' is not as drivable as I would have anticipated.

I wonder if its the Rear differential and that steer-by-wire feature that the car has that distributes force in the rear based on how far the steering wheel is turned in a direction.
The Off-Off setting is actually the closest to what an Evo 9 handles like... However you said the *** came around you - did it come around you hard ?

Because at hard cornering the X intentionally throws the rear around a bit in a hard corner.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

No, actually it was a gentle corner at that point, was 66-75% unwound steering wheel, after the apex of the corner. The "hard" was the torque load I put it under, the instructor advised an "early shift point" since I was coming out of that particular corner and rev-limiting right before some serpentine corners. The idea was (and this did work out with ASC on "in btwn") that I could use the low end torque (yes) to push me through those as well as at a higher RPM.

The instructor was as surprised as I was that the FWD didn't really engage at all, and that car almost wanted to throw the rear around. But at 60-70 mph, it wasn't really needed ;-)

Yes, I'd heard that the setting would make it a lot like a 8 or 9, so I thought I'd find the limits of the car -- and its driver. I found them for now. More practice!!!!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

(Now that I've seen the ASC OFF-OFF, its a must have setting for any goofy playing, drifting, sliding, parking lots, etc.. It'd be too dangerous to try to drift with that setting on at all, would be too fast!)
Old Feb 3, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

(Now that I've seen the ASC OFF-OFF, its a must have setting for any goofy playing, drifting, sliding, parking lots, etc.. It'd be too dangerous to try to drift with that setting on at all, would be too fast!)
Actually it's not the speed that is the problem with drifting with the ASC on but the unpredictability of the car mid drift or basically the car still tries to stabilize itself...

Here's an awesome movie about ASC that I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Yi3S8Nfxc

But I see what you're trying to say. Me however coming from an EUDM Evo 8 (ACD, AYC) to an USDM evo IX (RS rear diff, ACD) to an USDM X (SAWC, AYC) - the setting that fits me most is asc off off. I just like to have full control of the car (however I've done my share of drifting in the car in the snow, raid and even dry) so I have quite a feel for the car when it's sideways. But as you said - practice practice practice. The only way you're ever going to be able to properly control the car.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:33 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Definitely depends.
All seasons are not good at anything, I agree.
But they are full-on Blizzaks comared to something like Azenis.

Certain summer only (the Azenis) are like slicks that have pretty little patterns grooved in that don't have real contact patches at all. And they turn harder than bricks in the cold. Its literally like driving ice tires on ice. They are downright scary, and you have zero control.

Quick Reply: All-Season tires SUCK (it's a constructive post however)