Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

All-Season tires SUCK (it's a constructive post however)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
honestly though my all seasons (re960as) have served me pretty damn well in the snow. what am i, running rally style time attacks on my way to the gas station? all seasons are more than adequate, unless you've got like a really ****ty set
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
honestly though my all seasons (re960as) have served me pretty damn well in the snow. what am i, running rally style time attacks on my way to the gas station? all seasons are more than adequate, unless you've got like a really ****ty set
good point.

Ive been driving around in the snow the last few days with stock advans (almost bald) and its been deadly. I even slid into a curb while doing a K-turn, first time it ever happened to me. I think the advans are great for the summer, and I intend to get some summer tires once the stock ones are no longer good.

The only thing left to decide on is whether to get all seasons or winters for the cold months of the year. The post above me makes a good point, I won't ever be racing anyone in the snow, i just want to be able to get around without having to worry about sliding into things or through stop signs. There have been winters here in Jersey where we didn't even get snow, it would be a shame to buy and hold onto winter tires and barely use them.

I'm leaning more towards all seasons for the cold months, because i think i will get way more use out of them than i would ever get out of a dedicated winter tire. Can anyone chime in and say how a good all season compares to a summer tire in snow? (I've read through the continental DWS thread, and everyone in that thread claims they do great in snow)

Last edited by artnsx; Feb 12, 2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
As far as ratings go... the Continental's are better than all other all season tires (according to the tirerack's ratings) and these are based on a lot of ratings... the dry traction is almost as good as a summer tire... I'd like some people out there who actually own a set of these to give their opinions on them in all conditions if you have had them that long. If I could drive a little less aggressive, but have a tire that will last 35,000-50,000 miles or one like the stock advans that throw stones all over my car, and last at the most 25,000 miles, why would I spend the extra money when you can do all sorts of driving with an A/S as opposed to just a summer tire.
My other car come with Continental stuck, They are good but in summer really noisy. My other car is MB c 300 4matic 09
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hassan!
My other car come with Continental stuck, They are good but in summer really noisy. My other car is MB c 300 4matic 09
were they the DWS model?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by artnsx
good point.

Ive been driving around in the snow the last few days with stock advans (almost bald) and its been deadly. I even slid into a curb while doing a K-turn, first time it ever happened to me. I think the advans are great for the summer, and I intend to get some summer tires once the stock ones are no longer good.

The only left to decide on is whether to get all seasons or winters for the cold months of the year. The post above me makes a good point, I won't ever be racing anyone in the snow, i just want to be able to get around without having to worry about sliding into things or through stop signs. There have been winters here in Jersey where we didn't even get snow, it would be a shame to buy and hold onto winter tires and barely use them.

I'm leaning more towards all seasons for the cold months, because i think i will get way more use out of them than i would ever get out of a dedicated winter tire. Can anyone chime in and say how a good all season compares to a summer tire in snow? (I've read through the continental DWS thread, and everyone in that thread claims they do great in snow)
thanks

all seasons compared to summers in the snow (depending on the exact model) - it can't even be compared. summer tires are seriously horrible in the snow.

all seasons compared to snow tires - there is a difference, but not as big as between summer and all season.

Here's one useful test I found.

I use my all seasons from October to April and my summers from then on. Never had a problem. Think about all the other cars out there driving on all seasons in the winter - if those cars don't need snow tires, an evo sure as hell doesn't either (provided you've got all seasons and not summers)
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

yes all season is really only good for wet (rain) and dry conditions. Never good to drive in the snow with out snow tires, good read man thanks
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brokenevo
yes all season is really only good for wet (rain) and dry conditions. Never good to drive in the snow with out snow tires, good read man thanks
Huh?

All seasons are fine in snow as long as you don't live somewhere that it snows constantly... They're not as good as snow tires obviously, but they are way better than summer tires.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

were they the DWS model?
Its latest model all season, For exact model i have double check..
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

He said that his car had goodyear all seasons on them... I see only 2 all season goodyears listed on the tire rack and they both got OK ratings in the snow, maybe his were another type. They are NO WHERE near the DWS ratings, so saying all all season tires suck based on that is pretty misleading. If they came with the car and you don't like them... as you said, get rid of them and get something else. If you want to spend double the money on winter and summer tires and you have that money then go for it... I will get the DWS or do more research and find something similar and enjoy my car year round without worrying about swapping out my tires twice a year and paying for 8 tires instead of 4 that dont have a 50k warranty on them.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hassan!
Its latest model all season, For exact model i have double check..
did you notice any MPG drop when you went to the Michelin Pilots?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

I have the bridgestone RE960s and love them. i was driving home from the mountains in this recent snow storm the northeast just got hit with. I had no problems. It was to the point where i couldn't see the road. I was just following faint tire tracks. I had to go up big hills and everything. Never once did it feel like it was going to loose traction.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

did you notice any MPG drop when you went to the Michelin Pilots?
At 80 km i used to get 10L with stuck tire in summer, Now with Michelin Pilots i get 9L in winter. Summer here is not hot at all, Average summer temperature is 13C
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shizblam
Huh?

All seasons are fine in snow as long as you don't live somewhere that it snows constantly... They're not as good as snow tires obviously, but they are way better than summer tires.
Well here we get lot of snow and right now is -20c. With Michelin all-season tire no problem unless i want to drive like a pro
Basically you have to learn break earlier and check the road if froze or not. People drive fast in winter and don't care till they get into accident
Tip: If you get stuck in snow just leave the traction control on then in first gear gun it! It start to jump, Its weird but what ever it does works really good.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd hate to vamp a thread but since winter's coming up... you guys might want to check this out: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...mparison_tests

Seems like all season tires more than hold their own below 45 degrees. Even down to 20F, the all seasons are way better in the wet/dry than the winter tires.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which goodyears did you have? I want to make sure I stay away from them.
Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Originally Posted by dboz
There is no arguement that if you want the most GRIP for winter, buy a winter tire. Almost all new cars come with all season tires and they seem to work just fine for most. If you need to be on the edge of peak performance when there is 6 inches of snow, ice at 10 degrees, by all means spend the $1k on winters and have fun.

I will stick with my DWS for $135...I have not had one problem driving on them this winter. More than adequate for me. Plus a 50k warranty. You ain't getting that with winter tires!!
Great idea. What do you drive in the summer? Nexen N6000? They're not the best but they get you around and come with a 50k warranty too?

Originally Posted by artnsx
good point.

Ive been driving around in the snow the last few days with stock advans (almost bald) and its been deadly.
Idiot. No other word for it. In Europe you get fined for even trying something like that beyond your wildest imagination. In Slovenia for example that would result in a 800$ fine + a fix it ticket with a 3 day expiration time, while your plates are taken so you can't drive home with tires like that.

GENERALIZATION

Again - after 4 pages of worthless babble about how all-seasons are decent too, I'll try to rephrase my words in to 1 short set of sentances.

You drive a performance car. You talk about RE-11, AD08, Direzza Z1 Star Specs and all the super mega sticky tires during the summer. You need that grip to controll your 400+ WHP car. You _NEED THE BEST_ for it. Right?

So why in the hell's name do you settle for average in the winter?

And one last time: I am not saying that all season tires do not get you around. They just plain SUCK compared to winter tires in the snow and you should consider that if you have snow often during the winter.

/rant

Last edited by Toxin; Oct 31, 2010 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: All-Season tires SUCK (it's a constructive post however)