Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front Noise on EVO X MR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking front Noise on EVO X MR

hi guys, i have an 08 MR, i did a lot of searching here and found a 30+ pages thread about this but not for evo x. and now im gonna start one here and hope to have some inputs, here is my story

i bought the car last year brand new and about 3-4k miles i found there was a clunking sound coming from engine bay. i have some friends are mechanics and they told me the sound was from strut, specifically it was from the front passenger's side strut. it sounds like spring or top mount moving, metal hits metal. since the car has warranty, of course i brought the car to my local dealer (not the one i bought the car from), explained issue and they checked on it. the car was bone stock.

the first time they told me no sound heard, then i drove the car with service manager and we both heard the noise when the car hit small bumps or making turns. he then drove my car, made the car rolling left and right, the sound was heard clearly. he said would schedule me when mitsu reps came in the following week. after the reps and service manager checked on my car that week, they both there told me that it was a NORMAL sound due to rally suspension. and here is the statement:

i was upset but what else i could do? i was tired for this **** because i went to there dealer three times and asked for too many hours off from my work because of this.

now the car has 11k miles, i did FMIC, UICP, DP BACK EXHAUSTS. and for the past few months the clunking noise NEVER STOP. i paid 40,000 dollars with tax and warranty, and i am going to keep the car for years, i just cant take this anymore, almost every turns, every time hits a bump i can hear it!

then today early in the morning i brought the car back to the dealer (in another state) where i bought the car, left it there and had my co-worker give me a ride to work. at noon, the service guy called me and said i "worked on" something in engine bay and cause intake box was loose, so BOV hitting strut bar while driving.....that makes the noise...
i was like WTF and going to fight for this when i get there. luckily the sales manager (he got two evos and i talked to him about this thru emails) drove my car and told me they gonna redo the entire thing, the sound was coming from strut and later they said already order the front passenger side strut for me, get the car back and come back next week.
i wish the problem is really on the strut... from what i read, it could be sway bar, top strut mount and spring too...
i will keep this updated.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

I had a clunking sound in my X MR. Dealer finally figured out it was a slightly loose strut tower brace (the stock one). Tightened it up and never had any problems since.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I hate to recommend taking it to a tuner when you have a warranty, but honestly... tuners are better at this stuff than the "techs".

I had a bad control-arm bushing, English Racing found it by using some really cool methods and a stethoscope. I'd check all the nuts / bolts you can get your hands on. See if you can have a friend drive it on some 2-3" board while you're next to it to see if you can pin point where the noise is coming from (top vs bottom).

And no, it's not normal.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Sounds a lot like my issues I had until I got a lawyer and threatened to sue Mitsubishi. If they had just listened to me from the beginning, they wouldn't be paying my legal fees and settlement. I lost use of my car for 2 of 9 months, which is absurd.

Go in and tell the service manager that you don't appreciate their employees insinuating that you worked on something that caused the issue. Dealers seem to adopt this stupid *** theory (I wonder why) that every person that owns an evo and brings it in for service, has modified it somehow. That attitude is why I got a lawyer, and why my car is now fixed.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:59 AM

This exact same thing happened to me about a month ago (about 8k miles on my '08 MR). Took it to the dealer, they called Mitsu who told them to replace the front passenger strut.

When I picked it up, the noise was gone, but the service rep told me that the new strut did not fix the problem. They had to take it to a local body shop to have them locate the source of the noise.
Cause: the passenger headlamp assembly was rubbing against another part of the body (I didn't get any more details).

The dealership covered it all under warranty, and I got a new strut and mounts (about $1,000 worth of parts and labor, plus whatever the body shop charged).

If you want more info, or want your dealership to talk to the one that fixed mine, call Olathe Subaru/Mitsubishi 913-780-0400, and ask to speak to Patrick in the service department.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:21 PM

thats ridiculous! rally suspension my foot! are they gonna warranty a rally drive thru the woods since its a RALLY SUSPENSION?!?!

if they claims that this is NORMAL, make sure they can replicate this noise in another brand new evo.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:06 PM

yea, please keep us updated because i am also having the exact same issue. I actually went to go check and see if the strut tower brace nuts were loose but they were tight.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

I had a clunking sound from my front right strut as well (GSR model) and after going to springs, never heard it again.....
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

I too had started hearing front suspension clunking on my '10 MR at about 800 miles. The problem was caused by the strut tower brace: the two 14mm bolts holding the center of the brace to the firewall were a little bit loose. After tightening them a bit more, the noise subsided.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

hey guys, thanks for all the inputs, i guess i am not going to dealer service even though they have ordered parts for my car.

i followed what acm evo said, the two screws in the center of front strut tower bar were loose, i tightened both and did a road test, no sound heard! it just that simple and no idea why our mitsubishi techs couldn't figure this out.. told me that was normal. this is my first mitsubishi, i thought the strut was bad and really disappointed because it only had few thousand miles.i asked myself why i picked a mitsubishi?

i don't feel that bad now, but which dealer service can be trusted in the future? and im thinking if i should cancel my extended warranty lol
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AMJevoXmR
yea, please keep us updated because i am also having the exact same issue. I actually went to go check and see if the strut tower brace nuts were loose but they were tight.
make sure they are really tight, and check the two screws in the center.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I had a clunking sound in my X MR. Dealer finally figured out it was a slightly loose strut tower brace (the stock one). Tightened it up and never had any problems since.
thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackfrog
i don't feel that bad now, but which dealer service can be trusted in the future? and im thinking if i should cancel my extended warranty lol
None....
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont trust mitsu techs at all!! i will take it to my guy over the mitsu techs!! i swear they dont know Nything!!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by acm_evo
I too had started hearing front suspension clunking on my '10 MR at about 800 miles. The problem was caused by the strut tower brace: the two 14mm bolts holding the center of the brace to the firewall were a little bit loose. After tightening them a bit more, the noise subsided.
Pics?

Quick Reply: Clunking front Noise on EVO X MR