Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline roll center kit install price???

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
guys the RCA doesn't "tighten" anything up. You likely had other things wrong if your car felt loose before and didn't after (bad alignment, other parts installed).

The *only* time you're going to "feel" the RCA is when you're in a hard corner at speed. Around town, unless you drive like a jackass, you're not feeling anything but confirmation bias.
i've read your posts and have respect for you, but i disagree. my car hasn't been to the track yet and the rca kit is quite noticeable daily driving. i have swift springs, perrin rsb, and rca kit.

edit, lol and no i dont drive like a jackass. also i had swift springs and nothing else for a while. there was under steer so thats why i installed rsb, and a week later i had the rca installed, which by the way cost me $140 for installation (not including alignment). going from stock to lowering springs, to rsb, to rca...i felt a difference at each step. changing the springs out had positives and negatives but i think the rsb+rca corrected any DDing issues i had.

Last edited by John83; May 16, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

What exactly are you noticing different?

Did you add the RCA when you did everything else, too? Or did you do springs, THEN the RCA, THEN the RSB?

I added both the RCA and springs (swift) at the same time, so obviously the car feels a lot different, but I'd be hard pressed to be like "Oh, that's the RCA I'm feeling, and not the springs".

The shop I used rolled the RCA install in with the springs, so I'm guessing that's why I only got charged an hour labor, as everything was already apart.
Old May 16, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

honestly, the swift springs induced more under steer.

after my springs which i drove for like 6 months, i installed a rear sway bar. yeah it was noticeable, but i don't remember much because i installed the roll center adjust kit a week later. but what i do remember is the steering response was much better after the roll center adjust kit. and i'd say the rsb got rid of the under steer.
Old May 16, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Fair enough. I like, and dislike, piggy backing mods like that, as I can never tell WTF I just did.

The understeer, though, was NASTY without the RSB, and I'm not even some sort of track star; the big fat pig of a car just pushed like a *****.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

ah, so you had the springs and rca before you even did the rsb? i wondered what that would be like. good thing you didn't drive around with just springs, it kinda sucks! i think whiteline said their rca was suppose to help correct the under steer too, i dunno how much though..

i remember the mechanic that installed the rca was quite surprised by the difference. he asked if it was suppose to change the steering response so much. and i told him (from what i researched) it should bring it back to the way it felt stock. cause with the swift springs i lost some steering response too.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, did the RSB first, then the RCA + Springs together.

That's why I was curious; personally, I think the car feels fantastic now, but I can't judge whether it's the springs, which obviously REALLY made a difference, or the RCA.

I can imagine that lowering it, without the RSB, would have made it understeer even worse, though. Best 150 bucks ever spent, the rear bar.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i feel like my springs+rca+rsb worked out pretty good. few years down the road i'll put coil overs on anyways
Old May 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John83
i've read your posts and have respect for you, but i disagree. my car hasn't been to the track yet and the rca kit is quite noticeable daily driving. i have swift springs, perrin rsb, and rca kit.

edit, lol and no i dont drive like a jackass. also i had swift springs and nothing else for a while. there was under steer so thats why i installed rsb, and a week later i had the rca installed, which by the way cost me $140 for installation (not including alignment). going from stock to lowering springs, to rsb, to rca...i felt a difference at each step. changing the springs out had positives and negatives but i think the rsb+rca corrected any DDing issues i had.
You got aligned after the RCA right?

I'd bet $5 (my max bet ) that the realignment is what made the difference.

I drove (like a jackass ), autoxed and tracked *without* the RCA for over a year (with coilovers and front and rear sway bars and I'm *slammed*) and the change was incredibly subtle between with RCA and without. My car is aligned about every 8-10 weeks (if not more frequently) so the setup is fairly consistent so I know how a change affects it's handling.

It took me almost a year to actually feel what the RCA is supposed to correct (while on the track).

Now... maybe on springs rather than a dumped car on coilovers the effect is less subtle?

ETA: maybe the stiffness of my coilovers (12/14kg) also change how the RCA affects the car?

Last edited by goofygrin; May 16, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 06:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Now... maybe on springs rather than a dumped car on coilovers the effect is less subtle?

ETA: maybe the stiffness of my coilovers (12/14kg) also change how the RCA affects the car?
It is a bit more noticeable on softer springs.

- Andrew
Old May 16, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

You got aligned after the RCA right?

I'd bet $5 (my max bet ) that the realignment is what made the difference.

I drove (like a jackass ), autoxed and tracked *without* the RCA for over a year (with coilovers and front and rear sway bars and I'm *slammed*) and the change was incredibly subtle between with RCA and without. My car is aligned about every 8-10 weeks (if not more frequently) so the setup is fairly consistent so I know how a change affects it's handling.

It took me almost a year to actually feel what the RCA is supposed to correct (while on the track).

i had an alignment before and after. i had my springs installed (alignment 1 week later with 100 miles) over half a year ago. then i had the rca installed with alignment (recently). both had similar settings (i used your alignment thread )

maybe the rca is more noticeable on a non slammed car with lower spring rate

Last edited by John83; May 16, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm touched lol.

It took me a couple hours to do it in my garage. I'm not sure how you could do it in 30 minutes considering you have to jack the car up, take the front wheels off, take the lower control arm out, press out and press in the bushing. Even with a lift and air tools I think you're easily looking at 90 minutes.
maybe you're just really slow... because it took my mechanic 30 mins...
Old May 17, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
guys the RCA doesn't "tighten" anything up. You likely had other things wrong if your car felt loose before and didn't after (bad alignment, other parts installed).

The *only* time you're going to "feel" the RCA is when you're in a hard corner at speed. Around town, unless you drive like a jackass, you're not feeling anything but confirmation bias.

You have to remember, i'm on lowering springs which are rated at 20 to 25% stiffer than stock.

I drove on lowering springs alone for 2 weeks(to let them settle) before I got my roll center kit and alignment done. With the springs alone, the car "felt" great. It handled well, with a bit of oversteer, and the body roll went down to a minimum. After the roll center kit and alignment(I got them done at the same time) the car went back to understeering and the body roll was back.

Hence why I said you should get a rear bar if you're on lowering springs and the RC kit.
Old May 17, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone use any special tools when pushing the RCE out and in? I noticed the whiteline video on youtube used a couple of fancy doodads to push bushing out, pushing in new bushings and then to tap the dust boot on?

If you used sockets, could you tell what size you used, perhaps? Thanks!
Old May 17, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LapDance
maybe you're just really slow... because it took my mechanic 30 mins...
From putting the car on the lift to taking it off was 30 minutes? I'd love to see video.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by John83
i had an alignment before and after. i had my springs installed (alignment 1 week later with 100 miles) over half a year ago. then i had the rca installed with alignment (recently). both had similar settings (i used your alignment thread )

maybe the rca is more noticeable on a non slammed car with lower spring rate
That's likely it (as gtworks says above I guess).

Quick Reply: Whiteline roll center kit install price???