Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Going for a more comfortable ride.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going for a more comfortable ride.

Well as you know im trying to achieve a more comfortable ride from my X and we all know it can be a little more comfortable. I was thinking about down sizing the brakes in the front so i can fit some 16-17s on it with all-season tires, help smooth out the ride. But the census says "are you insane?!" lol Well the reason behind it is i take long road trips with the wife and kids and when i look at the rear view mirror all i can see is my sons cheeks bouncin like crazy, thats gota be uncomfortable! dont get me wrong i love the handling of the evo and what it does in the corners but im willing to give it all the up(just a little) for some comfort. I need some tips and advice suspension wise. if i dont go that route of changing out the brakes and get adjustable coilovers, can i mess with the compression and rebound to get a smoother ride? Ive rode in my friends MR and even his is more comfortable and less road noise. any tips and advice would be appreciated.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
Well as you know im trying to achieve a more comfortable ride from my X and we all know it can be a little more comfortable. I was thinking about down sizing the brakes in the front so i can fit some 16-17s on it with all-season tires, help smooth out the ride. But the census says "are you insane?!" lol Well the reason behind it is i take long road trips with the wife and kids and when i look at the rear view mirror all i can see is my sons cheeks bouncin like crazy, thats gota be uncomfortable! dont get me wrong i love the handling of the evo and what it does in the corners but im willing to give it all the up(just a little) for some comfort. I need some tips and advice suspension wise. if i dont go that route of changing out the brakes and get adjustable coilovers, can i mess with the compression and rebound to get a smoother ride? Ive rode in my friends MR and even his is more comfortable and less road noise. any tips and advice would be appreciated.
I think it would be insane to run smaller brakes - why not just trade it in for a Ralliart in that case? Even if you did, you would need to do it all around as running different sized wheels/tires will kill your center diff. Also, you do NOT want coilovers if you are looking for comfort. Even on the softest setting they are harsher than stock springs. The MR has Blistein shocks, which I suppose contributes to a softer ride, but I am not sure if they can be swapped to a GSR.

In any case, your best best is look for some quieter tires, and maybe add some sound deadening material? Hopefully someone else can chime in. All I really know is that my Evo is worlds better in every aspect than my old 07 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sufu
The MR has Blistein shocks, which I suppose contributes to a softer ride, but I am not sure if they can be swapped to a GSR.
They can be. I'm also quite certain that you could get custom coilovers that are tuned for a nice street ride. There are a few vendors on here that you could call...GTWorx always seems helpful.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

wow if you think evo x is too bumpy, try driving an 8 or 9. I drove the x and i thought it was a very comfy car, but honestly if you want a comfy car i say get a luxury car such as a mercedes, bmw or lexus.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Didn't put much research into the car you were buying did you? Does your wife have a car? My girls car sees alot of action when she starts complaining about the comfort of my car
Old May 18, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

it seems the ride got really hush. dont know if the suspension got settle in but when i got the car it use to be a little more comfortable ie less road noise, doesnt jitter that much... maybe its just me.

ill give the deadening material a try

i do have potenza all-season suppose to be a little quieter. anybody know of any other quiet tires?
Old May 18, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

How long and how many miles have you had your car? I hate to say it, but you've got the wrong car, man. time to consider a STI or WRX.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:26 PM

Just curious, are you still on your stock suspension or do you have springs?
Old May 18, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

im all stock
Old May 18, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

just get tire that have more sidewall and softer sidewall
u can try reducing tire pressure also
Old May 19, 2010, 12:26 AM

get hks hipermax 3 None Sport version very comfortable and it don't throw your kid around
Old May 19, 2010, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thicker tires will help you a lot. of course, that will foul your speedo. i would definitely sound against downsizing. reaching for more comfort does not mean giving away performance points, nor does it mean compromising your car's safety and potential. you can also look into getting coilovers with springs that are soft and has the shocks to match.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

swap in some MR Bilsteins and try a softer all season tire.

going to coilovers won't give you the ride you're asking for unless you spend good money.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Try a larger and softer sidewall, I switched to S.drives for the $, but they are softer and if you get a larger sidewall, it will be down right plush...at least to me...
Old May 19, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveGSR
swap in some MR Bilsteins and try a softer all season tire.

going to coilovers won't give you the ride you're asking for unless you spend good money.
Ditto. Though I have a CT9A, I have Bilstein PSS9's and they are great. It's more comfortable than my previous stock MR setup on all but huge ruts. ymmv

Quick Reply: Going for a more comfortable ride.