Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

steering wheel vibration and low offset wheel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
steering wheel vibration and low offset wheel

Does having a low offset and wider wheel cause a little more vibration at the steering wheel when going at speeds above 70mph? I recently noticed a slight vibration above 70mph. Does having the whiteline RCA or coilover (stiffer springs) would cause more feedback to the steering wheel where the vibration could be felt at higher speeds? I do have hubcentic rings with my setup. The wheels is 18x10 +18. coilover stance lx+. whiteline Roll center alignment kit
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Tires are out of balance. First, take in and get rebalanaced. If problem still persists, have the shop do a road force test.

Simple way also - put on OEM wheels (if you have them), if the problem goes away, you know its the wheel/tire package.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

I just had them rebalanced yesterday and it's still their. I'll try the OEM wheels tomorrow. I know for a fact that those are perfect since the last time I had them. Does the placement of the wheel weights closer to the centerline of the rim or closer to the outer lip makes a difference in balance? I know they placed all the wheel weights as close to the outer edge of the barrel.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raytrix
I just had them rebalanced yesterday and it's still their. I'll try the OEM wheels tomorrow. I know for a fact that those are perfect since the last time I had them. Does the placement of the wheel weights closer to the centerline of the rim or closer to the outer lip makes a difference in balance? I know they placed all the wheel weights as close to the outer edge of the barrel.
Yes, weight placement matters. They should have done as close to the stokes as possible (or on the outer lip - most dont like that anymore) and on the inner lip (or as close as possible). I do sticky weights on the outer barrel (close to the spokes), and attached weight to the inner weight.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue too. I bought the car used, from a Mitsu dealer, with about 15k and they have falkens on them. My steering wheel shakes at a certain speeds. Where I work at, we usually tell people to put on the factory size tires and brand because this is the issue we see. The car does not ride the same
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turvo
I have the same issue too. I bought the car used, from a Mitsu dealer, with about 15k and they have falkens on them. My steering wheel shakes at a certain speeds. Where I work at, we usually tell people to put on the factory size tires and brand because this is the issue we see. The car does not ride the same
Tire brand/size does not matter. Do a road force test, if they are out of spec, that will be the issue...then you can sell them new tires.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

What does road force test actually tell them if they are out of spec. Is it that the tires are bad, tires are out of balanced, rims out of balance?

Side note, -2.0 chamber front and -2.8 chamber rear does that affect? tires and rims brand new only just placed 600 miles on them. 2 weeks old.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Road force will tell you if the tires are applying too much force to the road, are out of round, or build problems.

-3 rear camber? Thats a bit much.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

after i bent my 4 oem wheels, i replacement them with 4 new aftermarket wheel and tires, but the shaking problem is still here, but just not as much...
do you guys know what is wrong?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by love67
after i bent my 4 oem wheels, i replacement them with 4 new aftermarket wheel and tires, but the shaking problem is still here, but just not as much...
do you guys know what is wrong?
In your case I would check for loose hardware on the tierod or inspect any play on the lower ball joint for damages from have 4 bent rims. If anything, re-balance the wheels again and do the road force test that SmikeEvo suggested. Check if you have the proper sized hubcentric ring if you need it.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 03:12 PM

do you think the wheel bearings could come into play? the way i check mine is to raise the car off the ground and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and see if there is any play then do it again at 9 and 3. if there is any play get new wheel bearings before your wheels fall off!! my brother had an 07 civic si that had bad back wheel bearings thank god he checked them who wouldve thought a new car with bad wheel bearings.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek
do you think the wheel bearings could come into play? the way i check mine is to raise the car off the ground and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and see if there is any play then do it again at 9 and 3. if there is any play get new wheel bearings before your wheels fall off!! my brother had an 07 civic si that had bad back wheel bearings thank god he checked them who wouldve thought a new car with bad wheel bearings.
I'll check that, but wouldn't a bad wheel bearing be squeeking a lot?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 03:47 PM

yeah they will gradually get louder as the bearings grind but my brother had a loud exhaust on his car so he could not hear them but checked them and it was scary to even think about going on the road haha I check mine every time i have the car off the ground call me paranoid i guess haha
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Maybe check alignment. I didnt even think you could get -3 camber on an evo rear.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:44 PM

i heard the whiteline roll center causes dramatic vibrations in the cabin?

Quick Reply: steering wheel vibration and low offset wheel