Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fortune-Auto 500 Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the late reply....

Sadly....they do not have extenders. I set it at 16 clicks from softest in the rear and so far I haven't had a reason to change them yet since I haven't gone to the track yet either. If anything they might be too firm.

Also for the brake lines there was some extra hardware that came with the coilovers but I don't think they were brackets for the lines. To solve this problem I just connected 2 zipties together and attached the lines to the strut like that haha, kind of ghetto but a simple fix.

The spring rates are fine I believe for LA roads if you set the dampening at a soft level, I don't mind rough rides too much as I'm used to it but some people might complain. However, through trial and effor adjusting the dampening, you should be able to find the right level of stiffness for yourself.

Last edited by EVOheaven; Jun 29, 2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOheaven
Sorry for the late reply....

Sadly....they do not have extenders. I set it at 16 clicks from softest in the rear and so far I haven't had a reason to change them yet since I haven't gone to the track yet either. If anything they might be too firm.

Also for the brake lines there was some extra hardware that came with the coilovers but I don't think they were brackets for the lines. To solve this problem I just connected 2 zipties together and attached the lines to the strut like that haha, kind of ghetto but a simple fix.

The spring rates are fine I believe for LA roads if you set the dampening at a soft level, I don't mind rough rides too much as I'm used to it but some people might complain. However, through trial and effor adjusting the dampening, you should be able to find the right level of stiffness for yourself.
for the fortune auto rear coilover...can you stick your finger through the little hole and make adjustments through there?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't tried but I'm sure you can. Plenty of other coilovers do not come with extenders. It might be a little hard if you have big hands though.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOheaven
I haven't tried but I'm sure you can. Plenty of other coilovers do not come with extenders. It might be a little hard if you have big hands though.
thank you for the input...
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

so anyone else get their hands on a set of these yet?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Wonder why they didn't design a mounting bracket for the Brake Lines?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 06:57 AM

I have been on these for about two months now. So far so good. I'll put my review from the other forum below:

Take this review for what it’s worth. These coilovers are my very first, ever.

My initial impression of the components was very good. The finish on the parts was very nice and everything seemed tight and machined well.

The installation went smooth with the exception of one thing – there is no stud on the back of the front strut main support brackets to accept the brake line/ABS wire. Most aftermarket coilovers have these, some don’t. I ended up drilling and tapping the relatively thick brackets to accept a stud to make it a full bolt-on. I recommend FA include this stud in future models. Getting them dialed in was pretty simple since the spring pre-load is “set it and forget it” and ride height adjustments can be made without removing the wheels.

With these being my first coilovers, I didn’t know exactly what to expect, but I did know in general what I wanted… and I certainly got what I was looking for. The 500’s with 8k spring in the front and 10k in the back feel fairly stiff, but nowhere near unbearable on the Chicago roads. The car feels like it did when I first picked it up from the dealership and the tire pressure was 42psi all the way around (not sure why Mitsubishi did that). You feel all the small bumps in the road, but are not overwhelmed by the big ones. On the softest setting, there is very little bounciness. Add 5 clicks and you have a very stable and streetable spring/shock combination. Everything from highway cruising to railroad crossing is handled fairly well. It took about 1 day to get used to these and I should have no issues with them as DD’s.

On the track they performed very well (again, I’m not a suspension expert so bear with me as I give my laymen explanation). The car felt very stable on the long sweepers. There was very little body roll and any bumps on the track surface were absorbed well and without disrupting the balance of the car. The car felt like it took a little bit longer than expected to shift weight on the very quick transitions, but this was manageable and may be more related to my less-than-smooth driving then to the coilovers. The car also felt very stable during the ole two feet on the brakes then quick turn maneuver (yeah, I need more practice). Really the only time I felt a little uncomfortable in the car was going out on a wet track on Sunday morning. The car wanted to come around on me twice, and it seemed like this happened much faster than expected. Both times I corrected instantly, and never really got in trouble, but I expected a little more warning. Maybe that’s just the nature of stiff springs/dampers, maybe it’s just the nature of racing on a wet track – I dunno.

All in all I feel like I got a very good product for a very reasonable price. I will update this thread if anything changes or if for some reason I have more to say. Now let’s see how these things hold up over an extended period of time.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

good review. i def hope they make changes for the brake line bracket
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:44 AM

Sorry for the necro, but I was wondering if the front springs on the coils are 7" or shorter?

Trying to make sure the suspension will clear my wheels and the locking collars won't be in the way.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phraust
Sorry for the necro, but I was wondering if the front springs on the coils are 7" or shorter?

Trying to make sure the suspension will clear my wheels and the locking collars won't be in the way.
the front and rear springs are both 8 inches in length....I confirmed them by measuring when installed
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
the front and rear springs are both 8 inches in length....I confirmed them by measuring when installed
And your SBC's worked without any problems? How much suspension clearance did you have
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
so where's the dyno chart?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

And your SBC's worked without any problems? How much suspension clearance did you have
yup, it worked without a problem..the clearance is very tight however...
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
yup, it worked without a problem..the clearance is very tight however...
****..lol like a few mm away? You think a 18x10.5 +13 will clear
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

****..lol like a few mm away? You think a 18x10.5 +13 will clear
yup, it will work just fine..are you planning to get those CCW Classics?

Quick Reply: Fortune-Auto 500 Coilover Review