Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackOpsEvo
Do not buy these pads! I put them on my car with brand new rotors and they vibrate and shake like the wheels is going to fall off. They also don't bite even close to stock and they DO FADE.
If you have instant vibration and shake, your "new rotors" weren't true. Pads cannot cause that. A stuck caliper perhaps.

When you said that they're shaking, how can you tell fade? Fade occurs when your on them so long they heat up and the glue becomes viscous. In my many laps of HPDE of these pads, while they scream like Justin Beiber's fans when hot, the pedal never ever got softer. I think you have something else wrong due to the "runout" -- the uneven rotor behavior. The pads are stationary so they can't shake the car.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
If you have instant vibration and shake, your "new rotors" weren't true. Pads cannot cause that. A stuck caliper perhaps.

When you said that they're shaking, how can you tell fade? Fade occurs when your on them so long they heat up and the glue becomes viscous. In my many laps of HPDE of these pads, while they scream like Justin Beiber's fans when hot, the pedal never ever got softer. I think you have something else wrong due to the "runout" -- the uneven rotor behavior. The pads are stationary so they can't shake the car.
The pads are causing the vibration because of uneven wear. The rotors are true. How do I know they fade? Because after just 5-10 hard stops the car no longer stops and the pedal goes to the floor. And it wasn't "instant" shake either.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackOpsEvo
Do not buy these pads! I put them on my car with brand new rotors and they vibrate and shake like the wheels is going to fall off. They also don't bite even close to stock and they DO FADE.
If this is recent, I would have them inspected and if there is something wrong with them I would talk with Stop Tech, they take their brake quality very seriously.

A good chunk of the local guys up here in Canada run the Stop Techs and its the favored brake pad to run for everything but hardcore track. For a lapping day your fine. But if your serious, you should be swapping pads at the track for better stuff.

I am curious to hear what is up with your specific pads.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
For those of you running the Stoptech pads, how does their dust compare vs. the stock Brembo pads?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:01 PM

stop tech ftw. im going to pick set up next week.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

I have these on my 8 because they where dirt cheap, seem to be fine on the street but I use cobalt xr1 or hawk dtc 60 for the track.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:12 PM

I run RB's ET500 on the street most the time and swap the XT 930 or 960s on autox or track days. Id suggest this setup.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grant_ca1
I run RB's ET500 on the street
I had those on my IX. No complaints with them, just also looking into alternatives (Stoptech Street and EBC Redstuff).
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:45 AM

I have them for street use. Approximately 15k miles so far and they look great I bought them for less brake dust and they are cleaner than stock. Never used them on the track but they were fine on a friend's similarly equipped X during an autocross.

On the track use a track pad. They don't take long to change and honestly it is better to be safe and use the right part for the right job.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

I am running these on my EVO with the AMS SS Lines and Motul fluid. No squeks, no noises, stops great and stops when I need them to. Great for back woods driving with no problems on numerous stickies. Took them on tail of the dragon and I didnt experience any of these noises that others are talking about when they heat up.

Just my .02
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mocohead

On the track use a track pad. They don't take long to change and honestly it is better to be safe and use the right part for the right job.
Agreed
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

StopTech Street pads & ATE Blue fluid ordered...we'll see how I like them in a week or two!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
StopTech Street pads & ATE Blue fluid ordered...we'll see how I like them in a week or two!
'Been my daily driver setup for over 2 years now, hard to believe how fast time flies. I did a weekend on a "high HP", i.e. shorter straightaway GIR once and the StopTech's never faded. Just screamed as they got hotter. So the screaming kept me from repeatedly inducing near lock-up really aggressive braking. Just surprised that even after that 300 or so miles that I've still managed to "coax" another 40,000 miles out of these. I have F Grandsport GS6's laying around somewhere, but until I absolutely have to replace the Stoptech Street Performance pads, that experiment will remain untested.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
i am using the exact setup. 2000 miles so far so good, they are an improvement from the stock pad for sure.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 93gc8jdm
i am using the exact setup. 2000 miles so far so good, they are an improvement from the stock pad for sure.
Don't forget that you will need to rebed them about every 2-3k +/- for driving style and environment. It's easy to remember to get it up to the point you smell brakes you're driving it so hard, and then park the thing -- no e-brake, and let the rotors cure with a fresh layer of the bluish that's the pad material.

Do that even with autozone store brands -- it's a world of difference.

Quick Reply: StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads - Thoughts?