Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These pads are a great pad...much quieter than the stock pads too and do not squeal...at least so far for me at least...haven't tested them on the track but for street so far so good and less brake dust for sure as well...I also recommend these if you don't want to brake the bank for some quality pads...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
Don't forget that you will need to rebed them about every 2-3k +/- for driving style and environment. It's easy to remember to get it up to the point you smell brakes you're driving it so hard, and then park the thing -- no e-brake, and let the rotors cure with a fresh layer of the bluish that's the pad material.

Do that even with autozone store brands -- it's a world of difference.
that was not want on the website ! thanks a lot for the advice. i'll be sure to do that ASAP.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

^ The technique is pretty much same for all brakes: 60-5mph as quickly as you can, but without ABS in cycles, 5-10 cycles of that without stopping or locking up (best you can to try to be firm on the brakes w/o ABS kicking in).

If you buy race pads, they just add that after that 60mph difference, to go 100-5mph six more times, gets flames shooting out of the wheels. Freaking awesome!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I got these pads installed this weekend along with ATE Super Blue fluid and so far I'm very impressed! I have ~90 miles on them so far and they've been silent, have great initial bite, and very linear response. We'll see how they dust compared to stock after I get more miles on them.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

I have over 46,000 on these on the fronts that included a track weekend or two
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I would not use these as track pads. However, I have some 1000 miles on this pad now on my RA. Very satisfied with them. Very similar to the old Axxis ULTs. Good cold bite and response.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smike
I would not use these as track pads. However, I have some 1000 miles on this pad now on my RA. Very satisfied with them. Very similar to the old Axxis ULTs. Good cold bite and response.
I agree, I had my first track day in my EVO with these pads and they only lasted about 3 laps with street tires, I had to change them out for dtc60's between runs.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smike
Good cold bite and response.
Agreed. I think I made a great choice going with them; not even a tiny squeak yet and their performance has been as good or better than the OEM Brembo (made by Ferodo) pads.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:45 PM

I've been using Carbotech pads on track and I really like them. Before that I used Hawk Blue race pads and they worked great, except that they ate my rotors. Another lesson I learned, don't by the slotted or drilled rotors. They are crap. They can not be turned and have to be machined. In my area it's $10 to turn a rotor and $100 to have one machined. I buy basi Brembo rotors that are so cheap I have spares.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:50 PM

I think I'm going to get these pads for DD and reserve my endless SSH pads for Auto-X and track use. I can't stand how the endless pads squeal at low speed and when they are cold, with some titanium shims they should hold up well for a while and when they're done I'll get some true track only pads most likely the ST43 I hear so many great things about.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

I put these on this autumn to see how they would work. Not really impressed- if they were sold as trackable pads.
They are quiet and seem to make very little dust- but the good news ends there.
The have very little bite and require extreme pedal pressure to engage ABS.

For me, I think they are great winter pads and DD use.

Sprirted driving- not enough bite. Track use- are you kidding? I guess it depends on the track, the tires and the drivers' ability to threshold brake.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I threw a CEL at about 145mph (MAF overflow) so I wanted to get the car slowed down as quickly as possible and I have only good things to say about these pads. They bit hard and hauled the car down with no fade or any type of uncertainty. Nothing but solid and linear stopping power.

These are not track pads, they're called "Street Performance" pads for a reason. As an aggressive daily-driver I'm in love with these.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ agree with Kracka. i beat on my car like a catholic latina wife on a daily basis. plenty of biteand stopping power specially for the price, cant go wrong
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

How is the dust compared to stockers?

What rotors are you guys using, stock still?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
How is the dust compared to stockers?

What rotors are you guys using, stock still?
Much less, and stock (untouched).

Quick Reply: StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads - Thoughts?