Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

quality of the Wedsport wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quality of the Wedsport wheels?

how are they compare to Volk and Advan Racing? thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Most Wedsport are casted I believe, but they are as light as more volks (forged) and Advan Racing wheels (which are mostly casted). I wouldn't worry too much about the reliability of the wedsport wheels.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:19 AM

There used in just about every form of racing so I'd have to say its a quality wheel lots of Nissan drivers use them to drift so I can only hope there strong wheels
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:57 AM

they are same class as advans. volks are a step above both.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Weds Sport wheels use a technique called "AMF" Advanced Metal Forming.
Very Strong / Lightweight - best of both worlds.

Here are some facts to help you answer your question: provided by WEDS NA.

Casting and Forging

Generally, the advantage of casting is that it melts aluminum alloy at high temperature and pours into a mold to form as one so the designing flexibility on the disc is pretty high thus it’s easy to mass produce and cost effective. On the other hand, from technical stand point, it’s hard to reduce weight since it’s difficult to form into thin metal. Also what was formed through casting is often uneven and particles are not cohesive therefore its strength is not good enough. On the other side, forged wheels are made by running a lump of aluminum or alloy into high-pressure pressing machine thus aluminum particles spread and formed according to wheel shape and it is stronger (Fiber Flow). Because of the way they are produced, forged wheels can be made light-weight. It seems like it’s perfect but there is a definite weakness of “It’s not flexible from design perspective. It has already been explained, forging process uses high rate of weight to form the shape consequently, it is not suitable for complicated cosmetic face design. Forging also has a disadvantage of being more expensive due to multi-processing.
"New method of manufacturing process" to make up for the weakness is born.

In AMF, first of all, simultaneously cast rim and disc. Secondary, cast disc (= rim material) is to be put through wheel-only spinning processor and roll the rim. It realizes more flexible and tenacious strength by having aluminum material’s crystal and macro formation get further detailed through being forged in this process. As a result, high-strength rim with “stretch strength,” “durability,” and “spread” which are basic characters required for aluminum wheels, is born. Now it is possible to create high-precision rim that is seamless tube as compared to the type that forms a sheet material into a ring through welding. AMF on disc surface is normally casted, it keeps design-flexibility, but it contributes to reduction of under spring load because the rim-part is spread thin as much as possible by spinning machine. Such new method of manufacturing process method is AMF which has the merit of both casting and forging. AMF was newly created the WedsSport brand concept “Faster, Safer.” New generation technology improved in motor sports enters the scene with superb performance.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good info ! Interesting read.

Is the AMF unique to the Weds Sport or do any other companies use this technology too?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never owned a set but I've seen a few sets in person. They pass JWL/VIA test standards which proves they will hold up to typical abuse thrown at a wheel.

The finish quality however isn't that great from what I've seen. The finish in person does feel a bit "thin" and I've seen numerous Wed Sport owners mention how easy they chip. I guess only time will tell if this was a small batch or if all Wed's wheels have the same issue.

edit: here is one of the threads I saw regarding paint issues
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ains-here.html

Last edited by dan avoN7; Nov 22, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
Good info ! Interesting read.

Is the AMF unique to the Weds Sport or do any other companies use this technology too?
AMF is basically "flow forming" something BBS has been doing for decades. im not sure who "invented" it but its far from new. FWIW enkei's MAT is basically the same idea. same with ray's RCF, etc.

forged>semi-solid forged>lowpressure cast with flow formed rim>low pressure cast>cast... if the wheel manufacturer doesnt advertise what the manufacturing process is then obviously they dont have much to advertise. the same with weight. if they have a strong and super light forged rim, they wont forget to mention the manufacturing process and the actual/approximate weight of the wheel. if they have a cast wheel but used flow forming, they wont forget to mention that. when they "forget" to mention it, then you know wassup...

Last edited by madfast; Nov 24, 2010 at 09:58 AM.