Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Insane Tire Wear on Continental DWS's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insane Tire Wear on Continental DWS's

Put these tires on @ 20,000 miles in December.

I just drove cross country (DC --> Twentynine Palms, CA). In Denver I gave my car a thorough look-over (checked fluids, tire pressure) and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. While unloading my stuff from my car I noticed silvery stuff on the rear tires. Upon closer inspection:

The front tires still look like this:

The car is @ 28,000 miles, so these tires have 8,000 miles on them. The fronts are fine but the rears look like racing slicks. I have never tracked my car or used it for anything other than daily driving. I asked my more knowledgeable father about it and he says they probably sent me retreaded tires instead of new ones. And now I'm 2,800 miles from the dealership that I bought the tires through.

WTF.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was the car aligned when you got the tires? It looks like you have a serious alignment issue in the rear.. Can't imagine you got a set of re-treads sold as new from Conti..
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Take the tire off and show the tread head on and take a picture.

Have you done an alignment check? cause that looks like some serious wear. If its only 3 months. Its either something wrong with the setup or something serious is up with that tire.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

I would say alignment and I would say you have all kinds of rear toe-in. Any kind of toe really eats up tires.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cross country drive.......

a lot of stuff in the trunk / back seat ?

what was the tire pressure you were running ?

does that tire have a "low" tread wear rating ?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alignment is off most likely. You are running too much positive camber. If you had it aligned when you got the tires installed, they did it wrong. If you didn't have it aligned when you got the tires installed, you should have.

Correction: alianum is right. I thought the inner edge of the tire was wearing odd. If the inner edge is wearing then it is a negative camber problem, outer edge wear is a positive camber problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle

Last edited by buchnerj; Mar 29, 2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: See correction
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely looks like an alignment issue. If it's outside that wearing only and no feathering or cupping its a positive camber issue. Can't really see the pics on this device they're too large.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

make sure you dont drive anywhere but to the closest tire shop and get it fixed. Last thing you want is to have a blowout.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 07outty
cross country drive.......

a lot of stuff in the trunk / back seat ?

what was the tire pressure you were running ?

does that tire have a "low" tread wear rating ?
The quantity of stuff in my car was no more than a few hundred pounds, comparable to a few adults. When I checked tire pressures in Denver they were @ 36psi. The treadwear rating is 540. Here's the specs @ Tirerack: http://tinyurl.com/4hfl79j

I'm trying to dig up my receipt from when I had the work done @ the dealer; I'm pretty sure an alignment was done. I'll try to take the wheels off after I get released and get better pics up.

Definitely seems like I should be able to get replacements or some sort of compensation without forking over hundreds$$$$, I'm just wondering how exactly I can get that done considering I'm on the other side of the country and even the nearest Mitsu dealer is probably too far away to safely drive to.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
So much misinformation in this thread.

That is from a bad alignment, usually from bad toe spec, not camber. Either your last alignment was crap or something slipped or bent to put it out of spec.

Passenger car tires are never "retreads". You aren't driving a tractor trailer. It's not the tires fault, it's the alignments fault.

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

since the accelerated wear is on the REAR tires , it is more complicated.

i thought the stock rear suspension is "un-adjustable".

so someone could not have done a bad alignment job.

so that would mean something must be broken........or....

.........really bad pair of tires.

540 is a very high tread wear rating. the tires should last a long time !
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
First, you need to give us a picture of whole thread and not just one edge, even though it was obvious what kind of wear was present on the outer side. As people said above, alignment is the first thing to check here! Just go to the NTB or whatever you have around and check it. That would give you an idea what is going on and why. Now, whether it is toe or a camber it doesn't matter at this time, since both are shown with alignment check.

One thing that was not mentioned and it is possible that have something to do with the wear is AYC activity - especially brake function of that one, where inside rear is slowed down more compared to the other wheels. If that thing was doing too much work for whatever reason, it is possible that extra wear that you have came from there! If your alignment specs don't show anything extreme (and I really mean extreme), I would check your AYC and control unit of that one.

Also, your rear brakes could have improper bias and for whatever reason worked harder then they should causing extra wear on rear tires. This one is low probability since you would see something going on with your brakes if this was the case. I would still check rear brakes just to make sure they are fine as well.

Good luck!

Fedja
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
So much misinformation in this thread.

That is from a bad alignment, usually from bad toe spec, not camber. Either your last alignment was crap or something slipped or bent to put it out of spec.

Passenger car tires are never "retreads". You aren't driving a tractor trailer. It's not the tires fault, it's the alignments fault.
+1

you'll never see a retread on a normal passenger car tire because its not worth it. The process of retreading a tire will cost more than a new tire. The only reason tires are retreaded on Tractor Trailer operations is because their tires cost $500-1000 EACH and their casings are made differently to be able to be retreaded. IF you really did get a retreaded tire, you'll be able to see the splices and also parts where the cap was replaced will look messy with extra rubber.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by 07outty
since the accelerated wear is on the REAR tires , it is more complicated.

i thought the stock rear suspension is "un-adjustable".

so someone could not have done a bad alignment job.

so that would mean something must be broken........or....

.........really bad pair of tires.

540 is a very high tread wear rating. the tires should last a long time !
People, please stop with the misinformation.

The Evo 10 rear is 100% camber and toe adjustable, just like the 7/8/9.

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 29, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, the rear driver's tire again, inside is on the left of the pics:

and

and here is a much clearer picture of the front tire tread:

Regarding brake issues: I DID just have the brakes done: new front rotors, SS brake lines, and brake pads all around, but that was at least 3 weeks ago and I haven't noticed any problems.

Quick Reply: Insane Tire Wear on Continental DWS's