Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Uneven fender gap

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Uneven fender gap

Coilovers, car has been aligned. Was in the garage tonight and noticed the passenger side front and rear have about half a finger larger gap tire to fender. I know the coils are all set to the same height as I measured on install and tech doing alignment confirmed at the time, though the car is not corner balanced. Align was done maybe 3 weeks after coilover install and at this point the springs have definitely had time to settle. It would make sense if the LEFT side were higher than the right but it seems this is not the case. What determines if the car is actually properly level on all 4 corners? Fender gap or exact perch height all around? Never noticed this after other coilover installs.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

your floor isn't even would be my 1st guess. biggest misconception when people go to hang pictures, they think the wall is straight lol
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:51 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Oops forgot to mention that on the fender liners I see a bit more pronounced rub marks from the tires on the drivers side so I guess it could be the garage floor but thinking probably not, ill pull it out tomorrow and see.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea ill have to agree that the floor isnt level..either than or the setting level on the coils was changed..i hate those fender gaps!!! But coilovers are the answer to fender gaps!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:26 AM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Yea not ny garage, exactly the same no matter where the car is. Any suspension experts kniw if thus would be fixed with a corner balance or what?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 04:03 AM

Same question as the op above, i know this is like literally 3years ago, but any tips out there, i got exactly same problem, not sure if it is problem or im just fuzzy really,
Should i just adjust the shock length to get all the fender gap even or just bear with it with shock length remains the same?

This is for evo x btw, ignore my avatar..
Old Jun 5, 2014, 02:02 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

How was the alignment done? Were you in the car or not? It makes a difference on tire wear. Also when installing coilover you can take into consideration of adding body weights and then measuring the drop to have it sit even when you're in the car or vice versa.

Edit: I have the same coils. My car sits even when out of the car, "uneven" when in it. It's hardly noticeable. Also as others have mention, it could be the angle you're looking at it or the ground is not level.

Last edited by Sev; Jun 5, 2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 02:51 PM

What i tried to do was i measured the fender lip to center of wheel hub and the left rear is about 3mm longer in length compared to right rear, but double checked the length of spring and the actual shock length and both are the same? Is this cause by bushing or can i just adjust left rear to match the height of the other side.
Atm whats happening is, due to left rear being high, end up right front being lower compared to left front.
A little complicated but i know you know what im on.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 03:21 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

How noticeable is it? I've never ran into this kind of issue.