Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake cooling

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake cooling

I have a 2006 Evo that I occasionally autocross and track. I have brake heating issues and need to add cooling ducts, however the car has an oversize intercooler which blocks the air inlets in the bumper. I don't see any easy way to route the air to brake ducts at the calipers and I'm thinking about installing Nascar cooling fans to force air to the cooling ducts. They could be mounted anywhere in the engine compartment where there's room. Does anyone have any ideas on whether this might work? Any input would be appreciated.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you take a picture of your front bumper? I'm not sure if it's worth it to use fans to push a small amount of really hot air towards your brakes. Proper ducting makes a huge difference.

You may have other options though.

- andrew
Old Dec 5, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Can you take a picture of your front bumper? I'm not sure if it's worth it to use fans to push a small amount of really hot air towards your brakes. Proper ducting makes a huge difference.

You may have other options though.

- andrew
+1

Oh, and this is the X forums (08+)
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:57 AM

Hi Andrew, Here is a pic of the front end. I don't know if it really shows the situation very well, but basically the oversize intercooler extends to the sides enough to totally block the factory brake duct intakes. Thanks, Sam
Attached Thumbnails Brake cooling-dsc02906.jpg  
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Would it be the intercooler or the pipes blocking the air? If so I figure it couldnt be blocking much.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

You should try to use the the grill openings closer to the side of the car.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roadracer47
I have a 2006 Evo that I occasionally autocross and track. I have brake heating issues and need to add cooling ducts, however the car has an oversize intercooler which blocks the air inlets in the bumper. I don't see any easy way to route the air to brake ducts at the calipers and I'm thinking about installing Nascar cooling fans to force air to the cooling ducts. They could be mounted anywhere in the engine compartment where there's room. Does anyone have any ideas on whether this might work? Any input would be appreciated.
How did you reach this conclusion? From my experience shooting the IR temp gauge at the track, the stock setup can handle a LOT of heat. Your pads I think are the culprits of your brake fade. Get some better brake pads. They cost significantly more than other pads, but they are designed to handle the heat.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can't figure out a solution to get more air due to space constraints, the next best bet would be going with a rotor that cools better. Our 2-piece rotors (curved vane) would be an awesome alternative if you're looking for a better rotor.

Shoot me an email if you're interested. Jess@girodisc.com
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
How did you reach this conclusion? From my experience shooting the IR temp gauge at the track, the stock setup can handle a LOT of heat. Your pads I think are the culprits of your brake fade. Get some better brake pads. They cost significantly more than other pads, but they are designed to handle the heat.
Air directed through the center of the rotors always helps though....you definitely need good track pads for the track regardless but getting some air will make life a lot easier (and make everything last a lot longer).

- Andrew