Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The Official Beat Up on Noize for His Virtual Drag-racing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm not a drag racing nerd (nor do I care for it in any way shape or form), so excuse my ignorance, but to me 5th isn't much of an overdrive. The gap isn't big enough that I would avoid using it on a high speed track. IMO, 4th shouldn't be considered the final gear unless you're dragging. And, yes I'm gonna be an *** here, if you bought an evo to drag race, get your cars straight. Time to sell it and get a Camaro, or whatever those guys use. Plenty of better choices out there than the Evo for drag, especially a X.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

Actually we should move these comments to a new thread... this is derailing Raijins horribly.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
@Noise (but meant to be less nasty than how I write): Oh, it absolutely starts with user intent, but, as you just showed, that intent determines - first and foremost - the tires. And then you choose the correct wheel, taking both tire and intent into account, since it's intent that determines which way you'll go on the wider-for-lateral vs thinner-for-longitudinal question.

And, yes, tire-available plays a role, as well, during the first step. That only the big guns make Rs for autocrossing in 255/35/18 is a big deal, for example.

But note how all of this is about tires, as it should be. Compare that to the opposite order where the person gets (or, at least, decides on) the wheels first and then discovers that there is no good tire for that wheel for the intended purpose. That is so much more likely than the similar issue for tires-first: I doubt that you'll ever choose a tire and then not be able to find the right wheel for it.

Last edited by Iowa999; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:25 AM
EvoM Community Team

^--- I liked the first version
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
And, yes I'm gonna be an *** here, if you bought an evo to drag race, get your cars straight. Time to sell it and get a Camaro, or whatever those guys use. Plenty of better choices out there than the Evo for drag, especially a X.
It seems silly to demonize someone by questioning their car choice if they like to run down the 1320 every once in a great while. It doesn't mean I don't value handling and braking, because I absolutely do.

A lot of Evo guys enjoy drag racing, because AWD cars can pull crazy short times on street tires. You need a slick or at minimum a drag radial to pull a 1.6 sixty foot in a street tired RWD.

The beauty of these cars are the vastness of their scope. They can be competitive at a track day, launch hard down a dragstrip, then stop at the grocery on the way to pick up the kids from school- all on the same tires.

You don't have to like drag racing, but it's for a lot more than Camaros (PS, use Mustangs as your example next time, they are a solid axle and more suited to drag racing than Camaros are).
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

^--- I liked the first version
What, the grammatical error? (See attached)
Attached Thumbnails The Official Beat Up on Noize for His Virtual Drag-racing Thread-post.gif  
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Wait. You guys make fun of people who correct their posts for grammar, spelling, or, in this case, punctuation? How many prunes, cups of coffee, and/or cigarettes does it take you to ... er, well ... get going in the morning? tee hee

ps. (and, yes, this is an edit), I love it that one of your other open windows is for AccessPort

Last edited by Iowa999; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Noize
It seems silly to demonize someone by questioning their car choice if they like to run down the 1320 every once in a great while. It doesn't mean I don't value handling and braking, because I absolutely do.

A lot of Evo guys enjoy drag racing, because AWD cars can pull crazy short times on street tires. You need a slick or at minimum a drag radial to pull a 1.6 sixty foot in a street tired RWD.

The beauty of these cars are the vastness of their scope. They can be competitive at a track day, launch hard down a dragstrip, then stop at the grocery on the way to pick up the kids from school- all on the same tires.

You don't have to like drag racing, but it's for a lot more than Camaros (PS, use Mustangs as your example next time, they are a solid axle and more suited to drag racing than Camaros are).
I use Camaros to show how silly drag racing is .

I'm just saying, it seems you put way too much stake in drag racing when, in fact, I don't know of one drag race you've been to in your car yet? Are you really worried about being off by 1.5-2mph by rev limit of 4th gear? Seems a tad silly if all you're doing is some pulls on a freeway.

Can you please move these posts out of this thread to a new / different thread? They shouldn't be in here.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
EvoM Community Team

Heh @ title
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
EvoM Administrator

I use Camaros to show how silly drag racing is .

I'm just saying, it seems you put way too much stake in drag racing when, in fact, I don't know of one drag race you've been to in your car yet? Are you really worried about being off by 1.5-2mph by rev limit of 4th gear? Seems a tad silly if all you're doing is some pulls on a freeway.

Can you please move these posts out of this thread to a new / different thread? They shouldn't be in here.
I've drag raced past Evos, but not this one yet. Dyno only. It'll definitely be on the limiter in 4th on the BBX Lite, that's proven all over the forum. If you know how many times I've raced at the dragstrip, you'd stop thinking I'm a redneck and KNOW I'm a redneck.

I'm itching to take it down the quarter, but don't want a rev limiter run. Too many stretched timing belts and blown motors for my comfort.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

And to be fair - especially given the source of the thread-title - this is not just a drag-racing issue. In Stock-class autocrossing, for example, the question of 245/40/18 vs 245/35/18 R-compounds is all about the trade-off between turning (which argues for the latter size) and staying off the rev-limiter slash avoiding going to third (which argues for the former size).

I don't have to point out that this is a tire decision and that it should be made before the wheel decision, do I?

Or would even mentioning the whole tires-before-wheels thing again make it clear that I'm a total troll, since you don't have a choice about wheels in Stock....?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:21 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ Hey, congrats on Guru status Swami Iowa
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:25 PM
EvoM Community Team

He definitely deserves it
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
He definitely deserves it
Agreed.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, poo. You weren't supposed to notice until I got home and uploaded a larger picture of my license plate. But thanks! It's quite an honor.

Quick Reply: The Official Beat Up on Noize for His Virtual Drag-racing Thread