Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

max camber on kw v3

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
max camber on kw v3

Does anyone know what the max amount of camber you can run for the front and rear on kw v3s with the oem top hats?
Old May 5, 2012, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
around 2.5 if i am right. But for that you need a tire which will work right . Camber deppends on the tire type too.
Old May 5, 2012, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the OP's question is how much adjustability there is for camber using only the eccentric bolts on the front shocks. This is an excellent question for which I cannot find an answer anywhere, so it's going to require someone who has this setup on their car. Yes, depending on offset and width, the limiting factor could be the wheels/tires, but I again think that the OP is asking about the adjustability of the bolts, assuming no other problems. For people who don't want adjustable top plates (for whatever reason), this is a critical question.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

My current alignment is -2 in the front and -1.5 in the rear. Since kw includes a front camber bolt I do believe I can get a little bit more than -2, possibly -2.5 like rob said but for the rear I have no idea what the max is whether its -2 or -2.5. Hoping for somebody to chime in that has had experience with this.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

this was my set up with 255's R888 Toyo tires and the KW V3.

if that is helps. The rims were 9.5 inch and 22+ off set.

the way it looked:

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 5, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

thanks now i know the fronts won't be an issue, just hoping I can get to -2 in the rear.
Old May 5, 2012, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Rear camber doesn't really depend on the coilovers, since we have a multi-link rear, not struts.

Rob - Just to make sure that this is clear (not only for the OP, but it's something I wanted to know, as well): you had KW V3s without the adjustable upper front plates, correct?
Old May 5, 2012, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Rear camber doesn't really depend on the coilovers, since we have a multi-link rear, not struts.

Rob - Just to make sure that this is clear (not only for the OP, but it's something I wanted to know, as well): you had KW V3s without the adjustable upper front plates, correct?
Yes, i had a factory top hats.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, did you ever run the KW V3s on gravel? If so, how bad was it?
Old May 6, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Thanks.

Out of curiosity, did you ever run the KW V3s on gravel? If so, how bad was it?
no , i couldnt. i did run the first rally on tarmac with them, we thought it is a track suspension so if we raise it a little bit and put a little softer springs it will work just fine. Why would not, right?
We were wrong, we blow up after aprox 15 race milage.

I might have jumped with them couple of times, but nothing crazy. The result was i ended up in the ditch because they failed in the tunr ( of course) and i lost control.
We finished the rally on stock suspension the next day, under super rally rules. We did get the 3rd place on sunday on stock suspension without alignmet.

KW V3 is a good TRACK suspension. Nothing more nothing less.

Rally New York is held on public tarmac roads. Ergo where every body daily drives.

here is the pictures from the blown suspension when a scruteneer cheking it.

as you see NOTHING else was damged, not even a stock plastic air guides....

stock going back:

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 6, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sortta off topic: do kw3's have separate pre-load and height adjustment? or just single adjustment collar?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The v3s just have the single collar...some of the others have more. There is a set for sale in the members used section w for example.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They use a helper spring so you are not preloading the main spring when adjusting ride height. As jimm said you may see an extra locking collar under the spring perch as an added precaution against the main spring perch slipping (which i haven't seen happen).

- drew
Old May 7, 2012, 01:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
no , i couldnt. i did run the first rally on tarmac with them, we thought it is a track suspension so if we raise it a little bit and put a little softer springs it will work just fine. Why would not, right?
We were wrong, we blow up after aprox 15 race milage.

I might have jumped with them couple of times, but nothing crazy. The result was i ended up in the ditch because they failed in the tunr ( of course) and i lost control.
We finished the rally on stock suspension the next day, under super rally rules. We did get the 3rd place on sunday on stock suspension without alignmet.

KW V3 is a good TRACK suspension. Nothing more nothing less.

Rally New York is held on public tarmac roads. Ergo where every body daily drives.

here is the pictures from the blown suspension when a scruteneer cheking it.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/Robevo_2006/P4030066.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/Robevo_2006/IMG_4756.jpg[IMG]https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack/

as you see NOTHING else was damged, not even a stock plastic air guides....
[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/Robevo_2006/IMG_4749.jpg[IMG]

stock going back:
[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/Robevo_2006/P4030075.jpg[IMG]
what about street / track from your personal experience? (mostly street)

also how did ride quality compare to stock with the standard KW springs (if you still remember)?
Old May 7, 2012, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
what about street / track from your personal experience? (mostly street)

also how did ride quality compare to stock with the standard KW springs (if you still remember)?
Actually i think for mostly dd and some track use they are excelent. Rides nice looks very high quality. they are a bit stiffer then stock , but defenietly not something you would be annoyed.
I think as an entry level suspension they are defenietly one of the good choices.

I have no comparision with any other entry level , so i cant compere them to my AST set up. But i wouldnt be surpised if they would be a very close competitior for the 4100 AST.

Sum it up , they are a good entry level suspension and it is a worthy buy, if you dont do some serious racing with them out side of the controlled enviroment. (tracks)

Quick Reply: max camber on kw v3