Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunk with inital movement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk with inital movement

Hi,

I have a clunk that seems to be directionally load related. For example, when I backup in the morning, the first time I move forward I get a small clunk. If I backup after driving forward, I get a clunk. It seems to only happen once when the direction of the car changes from forward <> reverse.

I plan on taking it in to the dealer, but any ideas what it could be?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sgtboost
Hi,

I have a clunk that seems to be directionally load related. For example, when I backup in the morning, the first time I move forward I get a small clunk. If I backup after driving forward, I get a clunk. It seems to only happen once when the direction of the car changes from forward <> reverse.

I plan on taking it in to the dealer, but any ideas what it could be?
Sounds like a worn bushing in your suspension.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:16 PM

4000 miles on the car.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

i have had same thing since i ownd car at 5k, now has 56k. i have no worn bushings. i think it is just a common thing with awd drivelines.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

This happens only upon start up and when going slowly? Not bump related? Yes, it sounds driveline related. The driveshaft and rear diff sit on rubber bushings that can be replaced. I'd be surprised if yours are worn but they may be shifting slightly causing the clunk. You might try the dealer and have them verify the noise, check the bushings and maybe there's a bad or loose one.

Failing that, Torque Solutions makes a nice set of drive shaft and rear Diff bushings that will lock all that down and improve the driveline. We use them on the race car and they make a difference. They would surely remove any shifting of the shaft or diff, some side effects might be vibration and better power transfer. Read up.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Before replacing bushings, I would check to see if it's excessive lash (which was a common problem on some previous AWD Mitsus). Lift one rear wheel and, with the car in gear (but the hand-brake off, obviously), see how far you can turn the raised wheel. Keep an eye on the prop-shaft while doing this. If the wheel can be turned a lot (such as a total of 45* from stopping point to stopping point), it is likely to be lash. If the prop-shaft turns with the wheel the whole time, the lash is probably at the transfer case or before; if the prop-shaft sits still for most of the rotation of the wheel, the lash is probably at the rear diff. On an AWD DSM, for example, excessive lash at the rear diff was a frequent problem.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get the same thing, it is just my coilovers binding. I got from full lock reverse to then full lock forward. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

You guys are slipping. Brake pads anyone??? There is a bit of play forward and aft that the pads have in the calipers. When you back up the pads shift to one side of the caliper, then when you go forward, they shift back. This is completely normal and nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

I partially agree, but if your pads can move in your calipers enough to produce a clunk, then you probably used the wrong pads and it does require attention.

Odds are, we're all wrong and the lousy front upper strut mounts have found a new way to annoy Evo X owners.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Stock pads. It has done this since day one. And I wouldn't call it a "clunk", more like a "clink". It's not something you can feel, and it comes distinctly from the wheel area, front AND back. I've heard it every morning for the last two years. Like OP, I was worried, but this issue has been covered before on this very forum and others and have plagued all generations of Evo's (my IX did it too).

Last edited by black95tt; Dec 11, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yep. Now we're on the same page.

Funny how we really need more precise terms for all the funky noises these cars make. Otherwise, we could go ten or more posts making suggestions for what might be causing a clunk only to find that the problem is a clink. And then there are the dinks, doinks, donks, and outright thuds.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I started noticing a similar clunk after changing my front brake pads a few weeks ago to Stoptech Streets. It only seems to happen during the initial reverse out of my garage in the morning though.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Yep. Now we're on the same page.

Funny how we really need more precise terms for all the funky noises these cars make. Otherwise, we could go ten or more posts making suggestions for what might be causing a clunk only to find that the problem is a clink. And then there are the dinks, doinks, donks, and outright thuds.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kreeker
I started noticing a similar clunk after changing my front brake pads a few weeks ago to Stoptech Streets. It only seems to happen during the initial reverse out of my garage in the morning though.
Yep, that would be the pads re-seating towards the bottom of the caliper. Are you sure it was a clink and not a clunk?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by black95tt
Yep, that would be the pads re-seating towards the bottom of the caliper. Are you sure it was a clink and not a clunk?
Sorry I think it's a clank.

Quick Reply: Clunk with inital movement