Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Two part question, expected life of Ohlins, and expected life of GSR KYB?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two part question, expected life of Ohlins, and expected life of GSR KYB?

Good afternoon,
So I have Swift Spec-Rs with the stock GSR KYB struts. I’ve read conflicting information on how long I can expect these struts to last, anywhere from 10-20k to more. On average daily driving with some spirited stuff but mostly tame, how long could I expect these to last?

I’m toying with the idea of going with the Ohlin RT coil overs, but I cant find anywhere online about the expected lifespan of these before they need to be rebuilt (under the same driving conditions). I know I could call the company and inquire, but I was curious as to what the community has experienced with these parts.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Two part question, expected life of Ohlins, and expected life of GSR KYB?-4b09b5b7e51f66d050fd40af717fa026_w600_h338_zc.jpg  
Old Oct 28, 2014, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For average daily driving you could expect 50k out of them for sure. Likely more.

They're rebuildable too, so when the time comes you don't throw them away like you would with the KYBs.

- Andrew
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:56 PM

Thank you for the response!
I know the Ohlins can be rebuilt, that is a selling point for sure.

I’m just so on the fence about going with the insanely expensive Ohlins or finding a used sent of Bilsteins and sending them in for a rebuild. I don’t like how the KYBs feel and I know the life is limited and once they are done that's it, so if I find an alternate now I can hold on to the KYBs for backups when I have to send in whatever I chose to get rebuilt at some point down the road.

I’ve read that having the Bilsteins revalued for the Swift Spec-R is not a comfortable ride for a daily driver. But running them as-is OK. I don’t know. Cheaper to buy and rebuild the Bilsteins but if they ride any like the KYBs, meh.

Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure rebuilding the bilsteins and getting a revalve will be a big improvement
over the kyb's.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:50 PM

I've read multiple threads and post saying the re-valve is extremely rough for daily, not going that route at all. If I were to get a set I'd have them rebuilt so they start fresh, but re-valve, no.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:52 PM

your kyb's should last you more than 50,000 if its just daily tamed driving. Just get ohlins, they'll last longer. i just had it installed 2 days ago and im really impressed. just go for it
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:33 AM

I'll need a better definition of what a harsher ride means when you re-valve a
shock/struts. It comes down to spring rate and the type of re-valve you get done.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:31 PM

This is one of the main reviews I'm basing my outlook on not getting a re-valve done. I've also spent a couple hours searching google and reading any post I could find about the re-valves Bilstein and Swift Spec-R set up specifically on the Evo X and his review is the general consensus.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247274#/forumsite/3330/topics/247274

Last edited by Psybin; Oct 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Personal feedback from my 2008 Evo X and my Ohlin's Road and Tracks.

Absolutely love them and am blown away by how they perform and ride!

I have had mine on my car for a little over a year and a half now with close to 23k miles placed on them since installed. I do open track days, Lots of SCCA autocross events and LOTS of daily driving. I have been to 3 open track days, done around 30 autocross events, 2 long road trips and daily on the crappy Utah roads. I could not be more please with how these things are doing, feel and perform. I recommend them to anyone that wants coilovers and especially to anyone that wants a good quality coilover. If they are not quite in someones budget I tell them to save up for them because they are totally worth it in my opinion.

Mine are doing great and I honestly don't see any signs or need for a rebuild on them anytime soon. I don't doubt I will be able to go over 3-4 years on these and close to 50k miles before I consider rebuilding them.

I am just using the off the shelf version and when I do need to get them rebuilt down the road I will at that time be looking to do a specific custom setup. My car is going to slowly become my dedicated track car after next year. I would say go for the Ohlins especially since they are much cheaper than they were in the past.

Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:38 PM

Thanks, I’ve read nothing but good about the Ohlins but couldn’t find anything about the life expectancy between rebuilds. I did find someone in a Miata forum claim that the set/style of Ohlins for their car needed to be rebuilt often so it got me wondering about the experiences on the Evo X and the RT set.
I’ll probablystash money aside then pull the trigger in either spring or summer. Might as well get some miles out of the alignment and set up I have now, especially knowing the KYBs should last a decent while before they’ll be shot on the Spec R’s. Nice action photo by the way, what setting do you keep them on for daily, then for track?

Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Psybin
Thanks, I’ve read nothing but good about the Ohlins but couldn’t find anything about the life expectancy between rebuilds. I did find someone in a Miata forum claim that the set/style of Ohlins for their car needed to be rebuilt often so it got me wondering about the experiences on the Evo X and the RT set.
I’ll probablystash money aside then pull the trigger in either spring or summer. Might as well get some miles out of the alignment and set up I have now, especially knowing the KYBs should last a decent while before they’ll be shot on the Spec R’s. Nice action photo by the way, what setting do you keep them on for daily, then for track?

The Ohlins really are terrific. We use custom rates (I'm not a huge fan of the standard 10/7) and the ride and handling is really a great combination.

Custom valved Bilsteins CAN ride rough, but you can also be pretty specific when you have them valved. But you do need to know what to ask for and that takes some math.

- Andy
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

I just picked up my Re-Valved Bilsteins yesterday. I requested the shocks to be in compliance with Swift Spec-R springs. They asked if the car will see any auto crosse events. I informed them the car will be strictly a daily driver and I am only doing a re-valve to prolong the life of my shocks. It took about one month to complete. Total cost was $450.00. I went with this route because I cannot justify spending $3000 on coil overs. I only spent that much on rims lol.

The ride will be more harsh on passengers if you request an auto cross specification re-valve.

Also, Bilstein no longer does re-valve services for the IX.

Last edited by Jdjones24; Oct 30, 2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I ran KYB and Spec-R for about 8 months. Just found a fantastic deal ($350 shipped) for a set of 15xx mile (basically new) Bilsteins. I much prefer the Bilstein even as factory valved to the KYB. Much smoother and more composed, which is important in a daily. I do plan to revalve them eventually, but for now, they are great. I do have Whiteline bars F&R and RCK as well.