Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

enhancing ride quality

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
enhancing ride quality

I live in New York City and lets be honest, the roads here are terrible. I would say the stock GSR suspension is decently adept at handling the bumps, while still being firm. It rides better than my prior 5G Camaro SS on stock suspension and 20's.

However, I'm wondering what setup could improve the ride quality further, with more of a preference towards comfort than outright handling capability? I'm not saying to make it drive like a mercedes or something, but what, if anything else can be done to make the Evo more comfortable while still maintaining its driving characteristics?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i would say over $5k if you really want to have an improvement everywhere in ride quality and handling.

Cheap step would be maybe change your shocks to the MR ones. Those are softer as i know, but i dont think they will improve handling, and i dont know how much softer and comfortable you would be with them at least to worth the money for a buy and a swap..
Old Sep 12, 2015, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Urethane bushings anywhere you can put them on. It doesnt make the ride more plush, but it makes the car take bumps in a more refined way, so it wont make such a big deal out of each little imperfection. The suspension is basically working more efficiently.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rongdoer
... take bumps in a more refined way, so it wont make such a big deal out of each little imperfection. The suspension is basically working more efficiently.
Do not get polyurethane bushings if what you're looking for is a more compliant ride. They will translate more NVH than stock rubber bushings.

Last edited by bluedub1; Apr 22, 2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The first thing I would do it the bilstien conversation and get off those gsr shock. this made the greatest improvement on my car -evoviii-. I had the same issue to a degree, hated the ride of the car, once switched over with some gtworx springs/bilstiens and made a world of difference, like driving a Cadillac--maybe not-- but made the ride much more solid and less skiddish. GL
Old Sep 16, 2015, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

MR struts are good. You can also change your tires. Performance tires have super stiff sidewalls. Throw some all-seasons on there and you'll be surprised how complacent the Evo is.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:40 PM

Without having some adjustments in dampening, you're basically stuck with whatever a spring/damper combo provides. Generally, a lowering spring is stiffer than stock and when used with the stock dampers (or non-adjustable dampers), you can't achieve personal preference. A coilover with adjustable dampening and a softer spring will probably work well. The lower the spring rate (or stiffness) the more compliant (or comfortable) the ride will be. Just don't go with a setup with super high race car spring rates. I'm new to evo's, but KW has a history of providing some of the best compliant coilovers. Play around with the dampening and I bet you'll find a happy medium of comfort and stiffness that sucks up the crap roads of NYC.

Oh, like another member suggested, tires (and pressures) play a huge role also.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 02:25 PM

Get the MR bilsteins and some good springs. Don't do coilovers if you want a better ride
Old Sep 28, 2015, 08:04 PM

Thanks guys. Are the bilsteins really that much of an improvement or would good coilovers be more comfortable? Any recommended tires?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by legacyGSR
Thanks guys. Are the bilsteins really that much of an improvement or would good coilovers be more comfortable? Any recommended tires?

I can't comment on an all season performance tire from my experience. As for a summer tire, Michelin PSS. Hands down best performance for the street with unrivaled comfort in it's class

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-sport-page-10

Last edited by used; Sep 29, 2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 03:56 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Bilsteins and a slightly taller sidewall will be the most you can do.
My car is on Ohlins, but the roads here are like glass in most places. I took it up to see my parents one weekend in Indiana and would definitely go down to MR Bilsteins and as tall of a tire I could get away with if I had to move up there. Stock springs for sure.

Since we know getting rid of the Evo is never an option, if all else fails, transfer your job and move your family out of state.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Bilsteins in NYC.

They are terrible.

There is no good solution in NYC. There are no smooth roads in NYC.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 09:16 PM

I have a stock mr in nyc, it ain't that bad... but roen is right, there's absolutely no smooth roads here.
Old May 28, 2018, 08:14 AM

Digging up an old thread, but conversation is relevant. How long do the stock MR shocks last before needing replacement?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 04:28 PM

mine started to leak at about 70k, I just bought a set of ohlins 2 days ago.
The following users liked this post:
greenfire (Jun 30, 2018)

Quick Reply: enhancing ride quality