Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fortune auto 500 help/opinion on ride height

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fortune auto 500 help/opinion on ride height

Just got a bought a set of FA500 with swift springs rollers bearings with 8k all around. Ive got the stock enkei 18in rims with 245/40 tires. These are my first ever coilovers, so my trial and error process for a "good" ride height has been brutal and ongoing.
My first question is does anyone have a formula they have used to calculate how far your ride height would change with every inch you adjust with the coilovers themselves? For example: 1in up or down would give you "X"inches in ride height. Obviously with the same or similar set up.
My second question is more of an opinion and i know its probably and age old question but what do you guys think for ride height? Without rub. I dont have the money/knowledge to roll my own fenders. And i generally have 2.5 ppl in my car at all times what do you guys think? Im look to get as low as possible. With no rub :/ i dont autox but i do very aggressive mountain runs regularly..... Like all the time.
Any help would be appreciated especially to the first question because ive been stuck in my garage for like 8 hours just making "adjustments" Fml.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
First of all, you should adjust the spring preload per the FA instructions and then adjust the ride height from the coilover assembly base.

This should give you a 1:1 adjustment ratio. 1" of thread on the assembly's base = 1" of height change.

Measure your ride height changes from the top of the fender to the center of the wheel if you're looking to calculate total change.

For a daily driver that has to cope with 2-3 passengers and the steeply banked parking lot of the local McD's, I think a 1-2 finger fender gap is a good place to be.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by splattj
First of all, you should adjust the spring preload per the FA instructions and then adjust the ride height from the coilover assembly base.

This should give you a 1:1 adjustment ratio. 1" of thread on the assembly's base = 1" of height change.

Measure your ride height changes from the top of the fender to the center of the wheel if you're looking to calculate total change.

For a daily driver that has to cope with 2-3 passengers and the steeply banked parking lot of the local McD's, I think a 1-2 finger fender gap is a good place to be.
ive adjusted spring load according to FA and i do adjust hieght from the base of the coilovers how ever i do not get a 1:1" ratio i dont know what i get exactly. Its usually somewhere between an inch. I probably should have taken the time to document it but i failed. I will also start taking measurements from top fender to center of the wheel.

Is the 1-2 finger gap from the top of the wheel tread?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 05:08 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by iKENwin
Is the 1-2 finger gap from the top of the wheel tread?
Yes. Top of the tire to bottom of the fender/liner. I wouldn't worry about rubbing on stock wheels.... Unless you slam it down to the ground. When I bought my X it was dropped on ebay springs (I swapped out suspension a month later) by the previous owner. 2 finger gap, stock wheels, no rubbing issues.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 08:26 PM

Alright fellas, finshed the install. I decided to go with 25.5 ish all around. And i stand corrected, the ratio is damn near close to 1:1 with the exception of the rear. Sitll very very close.

I am noticing some negative camber in the rear. Is it neccesary for an alignment after install? My car seems to be riding straight. However i only drove it around town for about 30min. Anyone?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:06 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

If that's the height you plan on staying at... Yes, get an alignment. The car will drive straight, but the tires will wear out funky. Might want to give it a couple days for the suspension to settle. Some will say a couple days isn't needed and you can go right away. Might as well wait just in case. It doesn't matter if you wait a bit anyway. Just don't go months or years without getting it done.

Mine was slightly higher when I bought it (same color btw) and the previous owner never had an alignment done. When I raised it back to stock height I noticed the tires were shot. Looked like a bunch of uneven waves. Bought new tires shortly after.
The following users liked this post:
iKENwin (Sep 18, 2016)
Old Sep 11, 2016, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by .M.
If that's the height you plan on staying at... Yes, get an alignment. The car will drive straight, but the tires will wear out funky. Might want to give it a couple days for the suspension to settle. Some will say a couple days isn't needed and you can go right away. Might as well wait just in case. It doesn't matter if you wait a bit anyway. Just don't go months or years without getting it done.

Mine was slightly higher when I bought it (same color btw) and the previous owner never had an alignment done. When I raised it back to stock height I noticed the tires were shot. Looked like a bunch of uneven waves. Bought new tires shortly after.
ok thanks! However the hieght and wheels will definetly be changing, hopefully after tax season. Should i just hold off? Because in the mean time i would still like to go mountain ripping. I guess i wouldnt care about the wear to much since its all getting replaced however i would like to know if safety is an issue go 90 around corners?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 07:57 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Check this out

http://www.turnology.com/tech-storie...ke-you-faster/
iKENwin (Sep 18, 2016)
Old Sep 11, 2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by .M.
good read, i understand camber can be effective if used properly.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice ride sir! When I had my suspension installed I sprung for a camber kit a corner balance and an alignment. I'm lucky enough to only be 30 minutes away from Works racing. It cost some coin but so did my thousand dollar set of tires. So if I can extend the life of the only thing contacting the surface I guess to me it is worth it. I also ride with passengers namely my wife and daughter. I would hate to not do something and have some sort of accident with somebody other than myself in the whip.
iKENwin (Sep 18, 2016)
Old Sep 13, 2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DPC16
Nice ride sir! When I had my suspension installed I sprung for a camber kit a corner balance and an alignment. I'm lucky enough to only be 30 minutes away from Works racing. It cost some coin but so did my thousand dollar set of tires. So if I can extend the life of the only thing contacting the surface I guess to me it is worth it. I also ride with passengers namely my wife and daughter. I would hate to not do something and have some sort of accident with somebody other than myself in the whip.
thanks man! How much was the corner balance?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iKENwin
thanks man! How much was the corner balance?
Well I did a package deal with coilover install camber kit alignment wheel balancing and corner balance with military discount was 1300 bucks. Im sure I can find the receipt and get you a better idea of just the corner balance. Im assuming that part was maybe 200
iKENwin (Sep 18, 2016)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Just a corner balance should take 4-5 hours on a fresh setup. Depending on the shop and their rate, $400-750 would be a fair price.
iKENwin (Sep 29, 2016)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Check with your local community/track to see if there is "a guy" that does corner balancing. Usually there is someone with a set of scales and the know how that does it for less than a shop will charge. If there is not, consider buying a set of used scales and learning to do it. Then provider the service the your local scene at a fair price.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Holy ****. I paid $300 for race alignment and corner balance when I had it done. Too bad that guy retired...

Quick Reply: Fortune auto 500 help/opinion on ride height