Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake noise

Alright, so about a month ago my 2014 MR started squealing occasionally at low speed (coming up to stoplights, parking lots, etc). Having purchased it used I'm unsure what pads were on there, however given the unholy amount of dust the pads were producing I'm inclined to say they were the OEM pads. Doing my due diligence I read up here and on other forums that the Girodisc magic pads were the silver bullet for low noise, low dust street driven cars. I promptly ordered a set and had them installed. No dice, super loud squeal at all speeds and brake pedal pressures (truly sounds awful). Further research indicates the rotors need to be changed as well, so another order to MAP goes out for Stoptech slotted rotors. Those are installed, no change. I was advised to drive the car for 200 miles to see if there was a coating or something on the rotors that would wear off. After 200 miles of almost needing earplugs to operate my car I took it back into the shop and they greased the back of the pads and applied some "squeal stop" which appeared to have resolved the problem... for two days. Now I'm right back to where I started with a high pitched squeal at low speed (20mph and below). I've bedded the pads in per Girodisc's recommendations, the pads have been greased, what am I missing? Anyone in the Charleston SC area have a recommendation for a good brake shop that has experience working on Brembos?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
This is part of evo life, I use DS2500 with two piece brakes and never squeaked then i renewed my brakes and pads the same all round and now lots of sqeak, just do the usual stuff, make sure shims are in the right way, i use copper eaze between shim, pad and brake and on the pins and it seems to keep most sqeak at bay.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Were the angle cut OEM shims reused by the shop? If they discarded those, that is part of the problem.
Were the pads properly bedded?
The magic pads aren't great. The Girodisc S/S pads, or Ferodo DS2500's are much better.
Lastly, some light noise at low speed is somewhat par for the course. You have a solid mounted caliper and (should be) high performance brake pads. High performance/racecar parts make high performance/racecar noises.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Apr 26, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 06:18 AM

I can confirm the pads were bedded per the Girodisc instructions. I'll have to confirm the shim status. I'd be fine with "light" noise at low speeds, but what I currently have is an earsplitting high pitched whine at anything below 20mph or so, which is particularly unfortunate as I have to stop and present my ID at a military base and the poor gate guards are getting a sonic assault daily...
Old May 2, 2018, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do this yourself and swap the pads and try again. It's a 20 minute exercise. Grease the back of the pads, pins and shims.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
use copper antiseize between the pad & the shim, and rebed. i get almost no noise, even from the dreaded raysbestos ST43s. the antiseize does the trick
Old May 5, 2018, 03:01 AM

Thanks Kyoo, it seems MAP is calling the "dreaded Raybestos ST43s" Magic Pads for some unknown reason (as seen in my order history above). I now suspect that I do not have the gentle street oriented Magic Pads but instead have ST43s based on the price and the part number listed above. I'll have to call them on Monday and see what the deal is, but that goes a long way towards explaining why I've been chasing my tail trying to figure out why these are so noisy.