Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Problems with suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problems with suspension setup

My issue: Car seems to "wander" or "pull" towards dips in the road after coilover install, and gets worse at high speeds. I know some of this is normal but it seems very exaggerated after coilover install. ALSO, the steering wheel will not return fully to center without driver input, as in I have to center the wheel myself (possible result of Whiteline ALK?). One final thing, I have a good vibration in the rear on hard acceleration, but I believe this has to do with lowering the car.

My setup: Ohlins R&T with Swift 10k/9k springs.
8 clicks out from hardest setting
Whiteline RCK and ALK (maximum caster set)

Alignment specs: FRONT = -2.3 degrees camber
0 degrees toe
REAR = -1.7 degrees camber
0.24 degrees toe in total

Everything was installed and alignment performed all in one shot. Everything is tight and torqued to specification. Other than these issues the car corners and handles well.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Tramlining. It's usually caused by toe-out but can also be caused by tire wear. Did you get new tires with the suspension or are you running something half worn from your old suspension settings with the new setup?

The other issue that comes to mind since you mentioned the steering wheel isn't returning is that the car is too low and there's binding. How low is the car now? Did you install a roll center / bump steer kit after you lowered it? With what you have invested in those Ohlins, it's going to be something you want to do.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by splattj
Tramlining. It's usually caused by toe-out but can also be caused by tire wear. Did you get new tires with the suspension or are you running something half worn from your old suspension settings with the new setup?

The other issue that comes to mind since you mentioned the steering wheel isn't returning is that the car is too low and there's binding. How low is the car now? Did you install a roll center / bump steer kit after you lowered it? With what you have invested in those Ohlins, it's going to be something you want to do.
I knew there was a term for this, just couldn't think of it. I did install a Whiteline roll center kit, along with a Whiteline anti lift kit. No toe on the front in or out. Lowered the car probably 2" from stock height. Tires are in good shape, I would say 95% tread still.

I'm running 18x9.5 +20 Rota Grids with 245-40 Falken tires
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, it's either your alignment/setup or the tires. Try swapping the wheels around real quick and see if it changes anything. If not, maybe something settled enough or wasn't tight and you're out of spec on what the alignment was set to.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 02:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The not returning to 100% center without input is the drag from the spherical bearing top mount, that's typical/normal. 0 front toe will cause some wandering.

Are the factory front camber bolts in the same position on each side? If they're opposite, and the alignment shop just used the camber plate to make up for it, it can cause some weird handling characteristics.

How much is the rear lowered? The EvoX's can max out the CV joints if lowered too much and cause vibration.