Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlin's VS. Ksport Bags VS. FA 500 with air piston

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohlin's VS. Ksport Bags VS. FA 500 with air piston

Ready for roasting, know you guys love to flame old news, and i realize this isn't a new subject but i'm just not finding a new source of information regarding these exact setups. SO jumping right in. Its time for me to replace old set up with a new set up. I'm 34 years old, been in the car scene since i was 16, i race local autox events as much as time allows which is a fare bit during the summer and i enjoy daily driving my evo x (i've done a lot of the small mods including bump stop, end links, sway bars, and more, just before everyone jumps those subjects...). I've currently got AMR coilovers on the car, i've had the swift springs and i've had other sets of coilovers on previous cars, so i'm not completely green when it comes to these things. My current issue is that i can't decided between what i need and what i want. I'm good with harsh rides, would love to be able to soften it up a tad for the wife to ride with me more, but really its small potatoes. I'm good with a stiff ride, so lets just not argue that. Also not to worried about price per sey... obviously i'm not made of money but i don't feel like discussing the money side, i can be a big boy and make that call without everyone weighing in about whats the bang for the buck cost, i can decide that. My question is what is the best option here for me, if it takes me longer to save up i'd rather do that then just buy the middle of the road.

Ok so i autox this and i daily drive it. My main interest is to become more competitive at autox, i don't plan on being the best but i'd like to continue improving. I have more body roll then i'd like right now even with a huge sway bar in the rear (robi spec). I've messed with tire pressures, realize seat time is the best mod, and bla bla bla, not what i wanna discuss. Looking between the three options listed above, i want a better or equally good coilover as the AMS ones coming off, they're broken, but over all i was happish with them, tad more roll over then i'd like but i think they've been good to me.

I'm leaning towards doing the full bag option (ksport seems to be the provider to us evo x guys). I'm very interested to hear about the auto leveling it performs with, if purchasing the executive package, which i'm not completely sure if this auto leveling would be beneficial during an autox event or if this would mess with the "balance" during corning but i'm hoping you all will tell me that the auto leveling is the bomb and prevents more body roll during corning. I love the idea of bags, but i'm aware that for pure sport approach i'd want the coilover design, i'm just not sure that this mentality is from an outdated technology, as in the bags these days aren't like they used to be (double beveled bags and what not). if the bags provided extra comfort on demand while retaining almost as competitive nature as coilovers and allowed me to stand out at a car show i'd have to at least consider these, regardless of weight and cost. Also to be considered is the "Maintenance" which i've not been able to nail down what that would entail. there's no fluid to replace or really anything to do as far as annual replacement goes, so what is it that is being maintained, i understand that the bags and components will wear out and possibly an event where a line would rupture could happen and then i'd be S.O.L. but other than an event happening and me making sure that everything is still engaged and attached and not leaking i don't know what i'd be maintaining as in preventative measures, so in my mind i'd be really just be waiting for a failure, that i'd have to address when it occurred and hope that it wouldn't happen while flying down the interstate.

The FA air pistons, appear to be the middle road which is probably my biggest consideration, getting all the performance of the coilovers but retain the option for lifting the car higher during events like speed bumps and what not. the down side is the cups are really only there to provide that lift to get over a speed bump or a high slope drive way or whatever, they aren't there for quality or really anything over than allowing a slammed car to navigate extreme urban areas. I don't daily have issues with road pot holes or crazy drive ways, so this option seems to sort of remove its self as fast as it comes into play, perhaps if i'm not going to slam the car then raising it shouldn't be an issue i worry about. I do want lower center of gravity and have already rolled (not pulled) my fenders (yes with the correct roller tool thingie). so i can go lower when i've completed this replacement as i was rubbing with my 275 tires on 9.5 inch rims and am no longer. but really the need to raise the car currently isn't an issue and probably won't be even if i go a half inch lower as planed.

Ohlins... pretty much my response to all the haters including myself (i'll buy these coilovers if the other two options really don't add up)

(after reading this i hope its clear how unclear i am about what to do as each have a merit but whats the best fit for me), i'm afraid that the answer will be coilovers as i realize that the other two options just have too many cons attached to them, but i want soemone to tell me differently and i guess thats where i'm at here, the Ohlins will be the coilover i do unless i can get some better clarification on how the other two set ups work and how well liked they are. It seems so boring to just do what i've done every time, put up big money for a replacement piece that will be so minimally different than what i had before, that its not exciting to purchase and drive on for the next couple years (just building the car to my own desires not pure track, or pure show, or pure daily, its all those things to me) i'm just not sure if the bags would provide the necessary advantage or quality that i'd desire from them (not because of price but because of extra sacrifices that would be made, trunk space, noise, anxiety around waiting for it all to break) I want to hear more about how well these are made or how well they adjust during corning or that bags really can be a progressive approach to autox.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

goodness... lot of chatter on this...not... well just to keep track in case someone else comes across this 5 years from now and wants to discuss...

I ended up going through "VIP Platinum" talked to Robert there and Kennedy. They are setting me up with their cup kit with my choice of the Ohlins R/T with a spring rate of 10 up front and 12 in the rear.

I couldn't get anyone to convince me bags would work with my restraints, one such issue was living in Kentucky where we do see cold weather (cold weather isn't great on the bags, while i could have probably run them in the winter its not ideal, and i'm tired of half assing the evo), the other was that i'm fairly certain the auto leveling kits out there just aren't faster enough or intended to be used to properly correct the car during corning events in autox, if anything it was looking more likely that it would upset the car further. I had to really weigh out what i wanted and what i needed, and this was the compromise i came up with... trying to get a lower center of gravity without possibly compromising the cars Daily-ness. I'll post some pictures of it all when completed and received... Excited none the less.

Went with VIP over FA 500 for the mere fact that i can put their cup kit on the Ohlins (as we all agree probably one of the best options out there for us evo guys). Plus a couple of added bonuses to going with VIP, including the customized feature and the ability to drive on the cups "inflated". don't plan on needing to travel far on them elevated but its nice that they can be used that way, and the actual height rise between FA 500 and VIP was slightly in favor for the VIP's as in they should raise slightly higher than the FA 500's...wish me luck ...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
So if I'm reading correctly you want something that would be somewhat comfortable during DD and still good for competitive use like Autocross correct?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ohlins were the right choice. Sticking with 10/10 spring rates would have probably been better, especially since you already have an RSB.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:21 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Great choice. Probably rides better than air.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

If going for comfort and having performance of a high spring rate is what you want. Then I would've gone a dual spring rate setup so the initial rate would be comfort and then when that spring is fully collapsed, then it would be the spring rate of the stiff spring.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

the 10/12 spring rate was to try and mimic more of a rear wheel drive car... realizing this step isn't something everyone would like as it could possibly negatively affect the effectiveness of the AWD but i'm turning off all the nanies anyway... so really the 10/12 spring rate is for me to get the car rotation to be more like a RWD car. Realizing its a bit of give and take, this is just my personal approach...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:40 AM
kaj

90% of people here run 10/12. It's probably the most common rate for our cars. You'll be fine!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i run 8/10 but i'm not competitive
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:17 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
i run 8/10 but i'm not competitive
I couldn't decide so am at 9/11

**edit: who cares, mine isn't a X

Last edited by kaj; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

I thought Evo 10's didn't need to run such a high spring rate since their strut/coilover is attached to the hub, rather a little inwards like the evo8/9s?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:31 PM
kaj

Doh. Forgot he has a X. I think you are right.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, so stiffer rear bar with high spring rates will IMO make it handle worse. IMO, stick the rear bar to the softest setting or install the stock rear sway bar.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

well surprisingly enough i'm coming down in spring rate i was running something more like 14/14 spring rate... previous set of coilovers where created by Frankenstein... get a ton of comments about the ride quality... i'm good with a hard ride, i'm hoping this will be an improvement all around, pretty sure it has to be...

I'll fiddle with the RSB when i get it all back together. good call though
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i thought they typically just ran square, whatever they did run. ie 10/10 seemed common for X's